The Black CAT club (Cerebus1, Albedo 2, TMNT1)
7 7

837 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, comiconxion said:

Well, I guess I'll be the first member of this club. I guess I've been in it for while. I got all these books graded long before pressing was "a thing." (as is evidenced by the Red Label Albedo #2). 

So, does this get me into a special room at all the major cons? 

Black_CAT_Club.jpg

Wowzers!  Yes, First member of this elite club.  What grade is that Albedo 2?  Beautiful copies! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/29/2019 at 7:29 AM, Ryan. said:

I've bought and sold several copies of Cerebus 1 over the years. I still hunt for it and do find them at shows here and there but never at LCS'. 

I've only ever owned one Albedo 2, a mid grade copy I foolishly sold before the price run-up over the past few years. This book never shows up at shows or shops. 

TMNT first prints are also rarely available at shows or shops. Same with second prints, though third prints are ubiquitous. I still own the only copy I've ever had. 

Considering the small print run for Cerebus 1 and the fact that it also came out well over a decade earlier than the other 2 books, I am actually rather surprised that it seems to be the most easily available out of the 3 books here.  hm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey, I currently own a TMNT and Albedo. These are two books that have never left my collection. I’ve had my 9.2 TMNT 1 for seven years, and got it raw from a guy (who has now become a friend) who sold me over 100+ turtle figures moc throughout a 3-4 period. It has a lot of sentimental value, as it was the first turtles I’ve ever owned. I remember flipping through it raw. It has the sigs on the inside cover. Aside from that, I’ve owned over 6 copies, which I’ve traded and sold. I could say this- TMNT is ALWAYS a great book to own. Every copy I’ve touched I’ve wanted to keep and hoard. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to do so. There are some that have a few copies though. When I pick up a first print, it gives me a high. It sounds funny but it’s true. I have done very well on every copy I’ve owned. Let’s be honest- there are not many that wouldn’t like to own a copy. 
 

I bought a 9.4 Albedo around the same time on eBay. I had that for years until I traded down last year to an awesome boardie. I’ve owned a few copies as well, and it’s a book I would love to hoard. Usagi is bad a.. for those haven’t read him. I’ve had a connection to him since the 89’ figure. Usagi, Panda Khan, and Samurai Leo had some fun back then. 
 

Regarding Cerebus, I never had a connection to the character or book. I haven't really read the series either, which I’ve heard is pretty cool. Aside from being a hard to find book, I could say that I’ve never been dying to own one. 
 

Great thread, and Happy New Year to All! Let’s hope those for a happy and healthy 2020. Let’s also hope to get those books that we love too! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, comiconxion said:

Well, I guess I'll be the first member of this club. I guess I've been in it for while. I got all these books graded long before pressing was "a thing." (as is evidenced by the Red Label Albedo #2). 

So, does this get me into a special room at all the major cons? 

Black_CAT_Club.jpg

Very Nice!!!! I love the Red Label!!!!! 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Considering the small print run for Cerebus 1 and the fact that it also came out well over a decade earlier than the other 2 books, I am actually rather surprised that it seems to be the most easily available out of the 3 books here.  hm

Cerebus is older, but less than a decade older than the other two.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

We should start a new club for those that avoid black cats.

I wouldn't mind owning them, but I have no desire to pay for them.

I always wondered if they were just a little earlier then my collecting years or if my area
had no interest in them.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

We should start a new club for those that avoid black cats.

I wouldn't mind owning them, but I have no desire to pay for them.

^^

I don't have that much interest in owning any of them, but I have far, far less interest in paying for any of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
23 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Considering the small print run for Cerebus 1 and the fact that it also came out well over a decade earlier than the other 2 books, I am actually rather surprised that it seems to be the most easily available out of the 3 books here.  hm

Cerebus is older, but less than a decade older than the other two.

Looks like you are indeed correct here.  (thumbsu

Not sure why, but I always had the impression that Cerebus came out in 1970, as opposed to 1977 when it actually first debuted.  :facepalm:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bone 1 I have never seen at a show or LCS but there always seems to be a handful available online. 

NEC Newsletter you never see online but they do show up around here in the Boston area. 

Thorn 1 is the toughest book by far. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

Bone 1 I have never seen at a show or LCS but there always seems to be a handful available online. 

NEC Newsletter you never see online but they do show up around here in the Boston area. 

Thorn 1 is the toughest book by far. 

I have seen at least one copy of each in person at a show or shop, except for the Lantern. I've only seen those online, and only a small handful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, october said:

Here are mine, with a few others.

20200104_092229.jpg

Damn! I'm on awe. :golfclap: The black CAT trio plus more rare independents. all raw too! You confirmed none are counterfeits? What grades are albedo, Tmnt and cerebus? Just curious if they were as high as @comiconxion's set 

Edited by Wolverinex
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
7 7