• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Black CAT club (Cerebus1, Albedo 2, TMNT1)
7 7

895 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:
9 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Crow 1 might fit here. 

Oooooh, good choice.  How about Primer 2? hm

Caliber Presents 1? CTPCA? lol with only vowel, it'll be hard to make it catchy! :shy: 

15 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

how did u obtain the counterfeit Cerebus 1? Pretty cool comic in its own right. Origin still shrouded in mystery.  Did Dave Sims ever reveal who created them?

I bought it at a con a few decades ago, before I was willing to spend $ in comics in any real way. Made that same mistake buying the TMNT 1 (2nd) in 1985. Oops. 

I don't think Sim ever publicly stated who he thought made the counterfeits? he did say he thought he knew...

Edited by SuperBird

Throw in Primer 2 and I'll officially own one of these books! Otherwise, eh. I had a TMNT 3rd print once, and have passed on a CF Cerebus 1 a couple of times. They're all books I like, but I just can't make myself spend the money on them.

As much as I loved Cerebus as a young man, I just don't see how it maintains that value. It seems to primarily be valuable because...it's valuable. Does anyone care about Cerebus anymore? How many copies does Dave sell of whatever his latest book is? 300-500 an issue? Is there enough nostalgia for the title to keep those prices afloat? I don't know. It's definitely an important book, and a very cool book. I definitely loved it for a long time, but I'm wary of sinking any real money into that book. If I find one cheap, I'd love to have it, but otherwise, I can't do it.

TMNT 1 on the other hand, I'd love to buy in if I could find the right copy for the right price. That is THE copper key.

And Albedo? Well, that thing is a ghost, at least in my circles.

I own the Albedo #2 and the TMNT #1, but not Cerebus. Never got around to buying a Cerebus, and have honestly lost interest in it when I read the series ending. To me, and to stay copper, I would swap Cerebus for Bone #1 first print because of the low print run to be consistent with the Albedo and TMNT. 

2 hours ago, Jeffreykli said:

I own the Albedo #2 and the TMNT #1, but not Cerebus. Never got around to buying a Cerebus, and have honestly lost interest in it when I read the series ending. To me, and to stay copper, I would swap Cerebus for Bone #1 first print because of the low print run to be consistent with the Albedo and TMNT. 

Thanks again for the Albedo, Jeff.

On 1/6/2020 at 12:02 PM, SuperBird said:

Dave Sim kept a bunch around.

As I understand it, all the ones shipped to comic shops were damaged in shipping, and typically grade no higher than a 6.0

The entire print run of Cerebus #1 (2000) was garbage. Dave's file copies...and he picked out other books that would eventually grade 9.9 or 10...maxed out at 9.4.

The printer sucked.

20 hours ago, october said:

Trying to keep up, but you all aren't making it easy. 

unnamed.jpg

Man, a lot of awesome in that pic!

I’ve only ever owned two of the books mentioned.  I initially had a TMNT 1 in 7.5 but sold it after I bought my 9.0 and during the price jump.  I made at least double my money.  Just like TMNT 1 I owned an Albedo 2 in 8.0 but traded with @SpideyFein for his 9.4.   Never really had a desire to own Cerebus 1.  I can definitely get down with some Crow 1 and Primer 2 action.  I have no idea why my Primer 2 is only a 9.6.  At some point I’m going to press it and resubmit.

DFF7DA6C-EC22-4035-BA59-62D31D1659EB.jpeg

BE9FAF6B-065E-4C6F-A269-B44DC25F17F5.jpeg

EE4B0D0C-11C1-4326-B3EC-37750B0B72D5.jpeg

5B37B20D-FFEF-41E9-8AE9-6FA144729CC0.jpeg

Edited by Parabellum

I guess I'm now 2/3rds in this club. Walked into a LCS and, lo and behold, a genuine Cerebus 1 was sitting on the wall. Signed on the first page by Dave. The shop owner bought a collection of the first hundred issues or so, all signed by Dave. 

20200112_173302.jpg

20200112_173053.jpg

23 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

I guess I'm now 2/3rds in this club. Walked into a LCS and, lo and behold, a genuine Cerebus 1 was sitting on the wall. Signed on the first page by Dave. The shop owner bought a collection of the first hundred issues or so, all signed by Dave. 

20200112_173302.jpg

20200112_173053.jpg

But what did it cost! You got to tell me man, what'll it cost?!? :ohnoez:

Just kidding!

But that is sweet! Right place right time!

I almost thought we'd seen all the reals that survived already slabbed lol

But I'm pretty new :shy:

the knowledge on these boards astounds, I'll have to check if ever I come across one.

CONGRATS!! ^^

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

20200112_173302.jpg

20200112_173053.jpg

CONGRATS RYAN!  Other than the signature, what did you see to confirm it was genuine? 

1 minute ago, Wolverinex said:

CONGRATS RYAN!  Other than the signature, what did you see to confirm it was genuine? 

Matte interior covers, lack of certain leaking reds on the soldier on the front cover, and in the center splash page, Cerebus is gray instead of black. 

Gained a lot of knowledge reading this thread. I was a fan of the Cerebus books when I saw the “Wolveroach” issues at my lcs back in junior high and just purchased a #1 from the guy posted above :banana:

I remember getting the first 3 TMNTs from my local shop at $5 a piece just before the first cartoon series was announced. 
Yusagi books were never on my radar though. Seemed like everyone was publishing knock offs as a gimmick (Grips comes to mind) and I’ve passed over literally hundreds of books that I’d otherwise have picked up just because.