• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Black CAT club (Cerebus1, Albedo 2, TMNT1)
7 7

895 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, B2D327 said:

Gained a lot of knowledge reading this thread. I was a fan of the Cerebus books when I saw the “Wolveroach” issues at my lcs back in junior high and just purchased a #1 from the guy posted above :banana:

I remember getting the first 3 TMNTs from my local shop at $5 a piece just before the first cartoon series was announced. 
Yusagi books were never on my radar though. Seemed like everyone was publishing knock offs as a gimmick (Grips comes to mind) and I’ve passed over literally hundreds of books that I’d otherwise have picked up just because. 

Great buy,  my friend has been hunting a 4.0 to 6.0 genuine cerebus 1 for a year now... I texted him just as u bought it. Lol.   He would have jumped on this opportunity if u haven't. 

1 minute ago, whetteon said:

IMG_0027.jpg.aa4e673e35237794d8078c56358a97e6.jpg

I have a crwo #1 somewhere but due to time constraints I gave up finding it. Anyways, I've been after an Albedo #2 for nearly a decade. Just can't win in bid wars.

That's a fine lot right there though! :)

is the TMNT #1 1st print? I found the albedo with the green cover at the used bookstore but didn't pick it up :( wasn't such a craze then....

awesome books! (thumbsu

1 hour ago, whetteon said:

IMG_0027.jpg.aa4e673e35237794d8078c56358a97e6.jpg

I have a crow #1 somewhere but due to time constraints I gave up finding it. Anyways, I've been after an Albedo #2 for nearly a decade. Just can't win in bid wars.

So that's a Cerbus #1 6.5, a counterfeit Cerbus #1 9.2, A Flaming Carrot Comics #1 in NM+, Albedo #3 in NM, a Comic Primer #2 in 9.2, a Bone #1 in 9.4,Turtles #1 in 8.5 and an Spider-Man #300 Black Foreign Cover Variant in NM.

Is Albedo 2 still hot or has it cooled down the last few months... I remember last spring, it shot up so high, it became cost prohibitive for me.

On 1/6/2020 at 1:58 PM, valiantman said:

That's an interesting question because I have never seen these three books "put together" as some kind of a set/goal for collectors.  So, our "theoretical how many people" could own all 3 is quite different than the "theoretical how many people" would want to own all 3.

While hundreds certainly could own all three, I would doubt that more than a few dozen would also want to own all 3.  With that may copies printed, just a few dozen collectors easily could own all 3, if they want to.

There's not a scenario were I see a few hundred actual collectors wanting to own all 3.  As an owner of TMNT #1, my "set goal" consists of TMNT #2-#4, then possibly Raphael, and other TMNT books... and it would be a long time before I considered "including" Albedo 2 or Cerebus 1.  Albedo 2 collectors probably also want Albedo 3, Usagi 1, etc., and don't particularly care about TMNT #1 or Cerebus #1 (but if they want one of those, they might not want both).

I have 3 very nice comics in higher grade only touched by Bill LCS owner and me then bagged and boarded 35-40 years ago. Cerebus 1 , Albedo 2 ,and  TMNT 1 (*second print ) guess i missed black CAT by 1 book ,Tsundoku

4 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:
4 hours ago, Ryan. said:

Are prices dropping? Not from what I've been seeing. 

The problem is that Albedo 2's are so rare... its hard to tell the trend.  I just know other books like hulk 181 are dropping...

I don't want to derail so I'll put in spoiler

Spoiler

I thought IH 181 was dropping too, just checked and dozens of sales in the last week that are strong :foryou: whew, sigh of relief is all and thought I'd mention :) 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=incredible+hulk+181+cgc&_sacat=63&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

4 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Albedo 2 could drop independent of economic events. That book shot up in value with such rapidity that some price resistance was (or is) inevitable.

I certainly hope so because I will pick up a copy.  I was planning on buying one 4 years ago and never got a chance... was shocked last year when it went ballistic

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

I sold a 5.o a few years ago for, what I thought at the time, was a great price. Didn't take me long to regret that sale.

What was the impetus for the spike anyway?  I feel like they are probably similar in number has TMNT1 first print... but they seem rarer to find.