• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IDW Artist Editions and their boxes

60 posts in this topic

I have a problem. I can't get rid of the boxes that my Artist Editions (and similar) come in. If they were plain, I could do it, but they all have that sticker on them and my compulsive tendencies don't allow them to go in the recycle.

Am I alone? What do those of you who keep them do with them?
image.thumb.png.cc9253351c0a6cbb8588fea2900dd02e.png

1 hour ago, alxjhnsn said:

I have a problem. I can't get rid of the boxes that my Artist Editions (and similar) come in. If they were plain, I could do it, but they all have that sticker on them and my compulsive tendencies don't allow them to go in the recycle.

Am I alone? What do those of you who keep them do with them?
image.thumb.png.cc9253351c0a6cbb8588fea2900dd02e.png

I still have them all and, in most cases, the outer shipping box they came in. 

So you're not as damaged as I am. 

I have kept mine but end up using them to ship artwork to a fellow collector in Canada. He buys artwork online, from sellers in the US and has them ship artwork to me. When I get about two dozen pieces, I ship to him using one of the AE boxes. They are great for this purpose.

Edited by Brian Peck

I keep mine in their original boxes, which acts as great protection for the actual books. Wouldn't dream of using the boxes as packaging material for sending out art to anyone . . . I tend to keep and recycle packaging on stuff that gets sent to me.

Which leads into a question of my own . . . if you were adding to your AE collection, would it matter to you if you received the books without their original boxes?

For myself, I want them with the boxes intact.

8 minutes ago, The Voord said:

I keep mine in their original boxes, which acts as great protection for the actual books. Wouldn't dream of using the boxes as packaging material for sending out art to anyone . . . I tend to keep and recycle packaging on stuff that gets sent to me.

Which leads into a question of my own . . . if you were adding to your AE collection, would it matter to you if you received the books without their original boxes?

For myself, I want them with the boxes intact.

I have alot of the AE books and the boxes do take up alot of space especially since I live in a house with not alot of storage space.

9 minutes ago, gumbydarnit said:

Judging from your photo IDW must send you Christmas cards for being such a good customer... wow that is a ton o books.

Meh, that is just 24 boxes. I have almost 50 IDW Artists Editions. I should get a gift basket B| I have cut back in the last two years, too many modern AE. But I am getting the Cockrum X-Men book.

Edited by Brian Peck

6 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

Meh, that is just 24 boxes. I have almost 50 IDW Artists Editions. I should get a gift basket B| I have cut back in the last two years, too many modern AE. But I am getting the Cockrum X-Men book.

Maybe Alex just collects the empty boxes and throws away the books?  hm

:jokealert:

Edited by The Voord

That’s a wonderful collection... it does need the Cockrum X-Men edition to round it out.  

I’m a bit saddened that there’s no John Byrne, but it makes sense based on the other ones you bought. The one that seems a bit out of place with all of the classic artists is the Jim Lee.

I would ask why the doubles, but I’m a comic collector so I don’t have to ask.. sometimes books just multiply.

40 minutes ago, gumbydarnit said:

That’s a wonderful collection... it does need the Cockrum X-Men edition to round it out.  

I’m a bit saddened that there’s no John Byrne, but it makes sense based on the other ones you bought. The one that seems a bit out of place with all of the classic artists is the Jim Lee.

I would ask why the doubles, but I’m a comic collector so I don’t have to ask.. sometimes books just multiply.

The only double is the one that Kathy and I each got at the IDW Simonson dinner in 2017. The Kirby Kamandi looks like a duplicate, but it's really two different volumes.

The Jim Lee was really an excuse to donate money to the CBLDF. They were selling a signed Jim Lee Artifact edition for a reasonable sum as a fundraiser so I bought it. I like Jim's work, but I probably wouldn't have bought the book otherwise. There is only one Jim Lee book that I specifically sought out beyond my normal pull list - ICONS which featured an LSH story. :)

John Byrne's work on X-Men I enjoyed - especially Days of Future Past from 141/142, but I'm not a huge fan of his art overall. I enjoy it and own a lot of comics with it, but I don't seek him out.

I'll buy the Cockrum book, but I'd really prefer a Legion one. :)

Edited by alxjhnsn

23 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

I have kept mine but end up using them to ship artwork to a fellow collector in Canada. He buys artwork online, from sellers in the US and has them ship artwork to me. When I get about two dozen pieces, I ship to him using one of the AE boxes. They are great for this purpose.

I'm the same. I will even send a single page shipped in one of these boxes.

Ironically I discard the boxes to my best and favorite books (ie DD Born Again, Byrne X-Men).

Ones that I like but don't find myself revisiting (Groo) I have kept the boxes to, in case I re-sell the book.