• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's BLUE BEETLE movie starring Xolo Mariduena (2023)
3 3

264 posts in this topic

DC Comics continue to be hot property in the world of TV, as their film series builds momentum the veteran publisher has been dominating the TV landscape for a number of years now.

With series appearing across network, cable and streaming platforms it’s no surprise that Warner Bros. is also looking at developing a number of DC properties for its upcoming HBO Max platform.

Overnight a rumour has broken via internet scoop mogul Daniel Richtman. No details were given but it appears rumours have hit the industry that Warner are looking at development a project to centre on Jamie Reyes.

The character has previously appeared in live-action on the series Smallville.

Edited by Bosco685

Blue Beetle Series Reportedly in the Works for HBO Max

Blue Beetle has surged in popularity in the last few years, and it looks like the younger incarnation of the hero might be getting his chance on an even bigger stage. Daniel Richtman is reporting that HBO Max is developing a series based on the DC Comic character. Other details are unavailable at this time, but this would represent another big swing for the company as they try to bolster their offerings as the “streaming wars” heat up.

Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and others are all vying for dominance in today’s attention economy. HBO is going to have to do something to stand out amongst all the other offerings available. Blue Beetle along with some other DC series could go a long way toward providing some extra value for the service. There is already some bolstering on the way with Stargirl and some of the other DC Universe fare ready to be shared across platforms. So, fans will have to wait and see what materializes.

Two years ago, The Wrap reported that Gareth Dunnet-Alcocer was working on a -script for a Blue Beetle movie and the Jamie Reyes character was front and center in that treatment as well. The writer had previously penned the Scarface reboot for Universal. Reyes has appeared in Young Justice, Batman the Brave and the Bold, and in Justice League Action. Younger fans will be excited to see one of the characters that has gotten a big push from DC on a larger scale and in live-action. But, nobody knows when the show would make its way to HBO Max.

“Charm City Kings” director Angel Manuel Soto is set to direct “Blue Beetle,” DC Films and Warner Bros.’ first superhero movie starring a Latino character, individuals with knowledge of the project exclusively tells TheWrap.

The screenplay is from Mexican-born writer Gareth Dunnet-Alcocer, who wrote Universal’s “Scarface” remake and Sony’s “Miss Bala.”

In DC Comics, Blue Beetle is the superhero alter ego used by three different heroes, but the film will focus on Mexican-American teenager Jaime Reyes, the third character to assume the Blue Beetle mantle.

“It is an honor to direct Blue Beetle, the first Latino superhero film for DC,” said Soto in a statement to TheWrap. “I want to sincerely thank everyone at Warner Bros. and DC for trusting me to bring Jaime Reyes to life. I can’t wait to make history together.”

The film is eyeing a fall production start, with Zev Foreman executive-producing for Warner Bros.

I guess it went from an HBO Max show to a movie.

After numerous false starts, the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle is finally going to make his way to the screen again, in a new movie directed by Angel Manuel Soto. The character made his live-action debut on Smallville, in an episode that centered around Booster Gold.

Those two characters are frequently found together, and most of the movie and TV rumors have have hovered around the character of Blue Beetle have also included Booster, although it is not yet clear whether that will be the case here. In many of his appearances, Jaime can be found palling around with a version of Peacemaker, a character who is set to appear in The Suicide Squad and then carry on to his own HBO Max series.

TheWrap, who broke the news, report that the film will be written by Scarface remake writer Gareth Dunnet-Alcocer and directed by Charm City Kings's Angel Manuel Soto. The movie will mark the first major outing for a Latino superhero, and the first time that a primarily-Latino crew has helmed one. Previous Latino characters to appear in DC films were relegated to supporting roles in team movies.

Created by Keith Giffen, John Rogers (Leverage), and Cully Hamner, the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle debuted in 2006 as part of the Infinite Crisis storyline. He took over the role left vacant following the death of Ted Kord, the second Blue Beetle. While the original Blue Beetle -- Charlton's Dan Garrett -- was a superhuman powered by a magical scarab, Ted was never able to harness the power of the scarab and instead relied on his own training and scientific know-how. For Jaime, the scarab did work -- but it turned out to be, basically, an advance scout from a malevolent alien armada preparing to invade Earth.

Jaime drew instant comparisons to Spider-Man, as a young hero uncertain of his powers or his place in the world, and who had a sense of humor and fun about him and a lovable supporting cast. He has periodically appeared in Teen Titans comics as well. In the DC Rebirth timeline, Jaime was mentored by Ted Kord, who was back from the dead but no longer physically able to go climb on buildings and fight bad guys.

Maridueña had a strange request for his principal during his junior year at L.A.’s Cathedral High School. The actor, who had just booked a role on Cobra Kai, wanted to move across the country to film, but still get his diploma from the school. “I’m super appreciative to my principal,” says Maridueña, who kept up with his assignments online and graduated in 2019, while Cobra Kai became a hit on Netflix with his character, Miguel Diaz, at its center. Heat from the show, as well as a chance meeting at Sundance with director Angel Manuel Soto, led to Maridueña landing the lead in Blue Beetle, DC’s first Latino superhero movie. As for his future, Maridueña has already completed two years of credits at Pasadena City College and is looking to someday study screenwriting in college. “I’m figuring out the steps as I go along,” says Maridueña. “I don’t have the handbook or ‘Acting in Your Early 20s for Dummies’ book just yet.”