• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's BLUE BEETLE movie starring Xolo Mariduena (2023)
3 3

264 posts in this topic

Brazilian actress Bruna Marquezine, Belissa Escobedo and Harvey Guillén have joined the cast of “Blue Beetle,” DC Films first superhero movie starring a Latino character, TheWrap has exclusively learned.

Newcomer Marquezine is set to play the female lead and love interest Penny, Escobedo is set to play Milagros Reyes, the younger sister of Jaime Reyes, and details about Guillen’s role is being kept under wraps.

“Corba Kai” breakout Xolo Maridueña is set to star in the lead role of Jaime Reyes in “Blue Beetle.” “Charm City Kings” director Angel Manuel Soto is set to direct. The screenplay is from Mexican-born writer Gareth Dunnet-Alcocer, who wrote Universal’s “Scarface” remake and Sony’s “Miss Bala.” John Rickard is the producer.

Marquezine will be portraying the character of Jenny in the Blue Beetle movie. However, as plot details are still being kept under wraps, Marquezine celebrated her casting with a touching post. Taking to Instagram, the 26-year old Brazilian actress shared the video conference she had with Soto, when he informed her that she had landed the Blue Beetle role. Marquezine is left immediately speechless by the news, before becoming quite emotional.

bluebeetle.JPG.53f454420017f21a1dbda572802eee19.JPG

Casting is building up quickly now

Actor-comedian George Lopez, Academy Award nominee Adriana Barraza, Elpidia Carrillo and Damián Alcázar have joined the cast of “Blue Beetle,” DC Films and Warner Bros.’ first superhero movie starring a Latino character, TheWrap has exclusively learned.

“Cobra Kai” breakout Xolo Maridueña is set to star in the lead role of Jaime Reyes. Lopez is playing the role of Uncle Rudy, Barraza is playing Nana, Carrillo is playing Rocio and Alcázar is playing Alberto. The four round out the rest of the Reyes family which includes Bellisa Escobedo who plays Milagro.

According to The Cosmic Circus, the films lead antagonists will be Conrad Carpax, who in the comics is called The Indestructible Man, as well as a mysterious new female villain. The new villain is rumored to be named Victoria Kord. The last name may seem familiar as a preview version of the Blue Beetle character is named Ted Kord, and the antagonist is assumed to be his wife.

Blue Beetle star Xolo Maridueña was fan-cast before ultimately landing the role. The actor comes from Cobra Kai fame and thinks that the series prepared him for his role as the DC Comics series. The actor revealed as much in a recent interview with Variety.

"This is really gonna be a stepping stone in my life," Maridueña told the trade in a recent interview. "I've gotten the chance to build chemistry with these people over the years on Cobra Kai. To try to recreate that chemistry in a much shorter amount of time is gonna be difficult, but all of these guys are professionals. I know that I'm in the hands of people who are the best at what they do. The opportunity at Cobra Kai has really blessed me; I can do stunts, we can do crazy stuff. Adding this new level of green screen and suits and CGI and all of this will add a whole new crazy level to it that I'm so excited for."

With Tuesday's news that Basic Instinct and Catwoman star Sharon Stone will be portraying Victoria Kord, an antagonist character newly-created for the film. While Kord Industries was referenced in the very first piece of concept art for the Blue Beetle film, there had been no subsequent confirmation of any tie to Ted or his larger world. And at the moment, we have no clue exactly what relationship Victoria will have to Ted — but her involvement in the film still presents some possibilities for how he could be included.

If Victoria is a family member of Ted Kord, that could possibly lead to his appearance in the film, either in a strong supporting or cameo role. Speculation has swirled that Victoria could be Ted's wife or ex-wife, which would create narrative conflict for both him and Jaime if she was the villain of the film. (If Ted were also a contemporary in age to the 64-year-old Stone, that would place him in his "prime" as Blue Beetle in the 1980s and 1990s, which would like up perfectly with the "Bwahaha" era that he thrived in in the comics.

Judging by the lack of posts and zero reactions throughout the entire thread - nobody cares about this movie.

(shrug)

On 5/25/2022 at 7:36 PM, Beige said:

Judging by the lack of posts and zero reactions throughout the entire thread - nobody cares about this movie.

(shrug)

There is no MCU connection

:baiting:

On 5/25/2022 at 5:36 PM, Beige said:

(shrug)

Agreed. I have never cared for the Blue Beetle in the comics, but I am curious to see where they go with this as their latest Charlton character turned movie then streaming property panned out well (Peacemaker).

Edited by kimik