• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cerebus #1 CGC 9.6
2 2

99 posts in this topic

Just now, Gotham Kid said:

do you have scans etc as proof ?

if you do then create a thread here

The new Registry Admin @Matt G is super reactive.

Go to GPA the sale is recorded in 2018 as the book changed hands three times, and it contains the CGC number.   I originally requested they get the book back and remove it from the market.  

It's widely quoted that hundreds of books from the 2,000 print run on Cerebus #1 were poorly printed, so this further adds to the difficulty of obtaining a high grade copy.

Cerebus will likely never be as popular as Wolverine (Hulk #181), but as far as scarcity, there can't be more than two dozen Cerebus #1 books in near mint condition.

Edited by roccojoco
Edit

According to GPA there was a 9.4 file copy (first of three) sold September 24 2019.

The new owner may have resubbed it and gotten a 9.6, but the original S/N is still valid at CGC...

The two public file copy 9.4's are very nice with minimal spine ticks. As far as I know the third copy is still with Sim.

Comics have flaws beyond spine ticks, and when Sim chose his best copies he probably used different standards than 

CGC and possibly did not know about presssing. I can believe a 9.6.

8 hours ago, Rosland said:

According to GPA there was a 9.4 file copy (first of three) sold September 24 2019.

The new owner may have resubbed it and gotten a 9.6, but the original S/N is still valid at CGC...

The two public file copy 9.4's are very nice with minimal spine ticks. As far as I know the third copy is still with Sim.

Comics have flaws beyond spine ticks, and when Sim chose his best copies he probably used different standards than 

CGC and possibly did not know about presssing. I can believe a 9.6.

That definitely makes sense

This is not the answer.  I bought the 9.4 file copy in September and have not resubmitted it.  If someone did resubmit a signed Sim file copy to CGC, it would have to remain in the slab and then the old label would certainly be removed from the census.

Prior to the CGC 9.6 appearing in the census, there were 19 CGC copies of Cerebus #1 in 9.0 or better.  This has not changed, so it appears the improbable CGC 9.6 copy came from the wild.

Congratulations on the 9.4! Are you also the person getting the early 9.8's? 

It's possible the third 9.4 is out there and has been resubbed. Wish I knew the S/N of it.

I also seem to remember that Sim put away 20 copies of Cerebus 1 and then had to give the ex-wife half of them.

Are there 10 more quality copies out there?

11 hours ago, Rosland said:

Congratulations on the 9.4! Are you also the person getting the early 9.8's? 

It's possible the third 9.4 is out there and has been resubbed. Wish I knew the S/N of it.

I also seem to remember that Sim put away 20 copies of Cerebus 1 and then had to give the ex-wife half of them.

Are there 10 more quality copies out there?

Thank you.  I do like buying undervalued and high grade early Cerebus issues. 

For CGC resubmissions, a Sim file copy cannot remain a Sim file copy unless it is still in the slab.  If it remains in the slab, then the old label SHOULD be removed from the census. 

There has been no change to the census for 9.4 Sim file copies or ANY copy of a Cerebus #1 graded 9.0 or higher.  This leads me to believe the recent 9.6 was not a resubmission.

On 1/24/2020 at 12:53 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

The problem with Cerebus #1, sadly, is with the spine and spine tics. They were just printed that way,............

Since you are much more with the whole CGC grading process, do you have any idea if CGC takes this fact into account when it comes to grading Cerebus 1's?  ???

On 1/24/2020 at 3:54 PM, Rosland said:

Yeah, I agree with you. 

Let's see if the 9.6 copy surfaces at auction...

Since a lot of collectors, including Dave Sim himself, do not tend to grade and slab their books until it comes time to sell them, this just may happen sooner rather than later. hm  :taptaptap:

14 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Since you are much more with the whole CGC grading process, do you have any idea if CGC takes this fact into account when it comes to grading Cerebus 1's?  ???

Based on my experience with submitting Cerebus 1s and getting higher than expected grades, my assumption is that they do. 

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

It's hard to say....with only the ~2000 copies that Dave had printed, it's not a book CGC sees a lot of copies of...and the ones they do, are lumped around mid-grade. So I don't know if they've really developed a "profile" with it.

On 1/23/2020 at 10:02 PM, roccojoco said:

This is not the answer.  I bought the 9.4 file copy in September and have not resubmitted it.  If someone did resubmit a signed Sim file copy to CGC, it would have to remain in the slab and then the old label would certainly be removed from the census.

Prior to the CGC 9.6 appearing in the census, there were 19 CGC copies of Cerebus #1 in 9.0 or better.  This has not changed, so it appears the improbable CGC 9.6 copy came from the wild.

Curious, Where did you pick it up from? I have a high grade run of Cerebus, but have not been able to find anything higher then a 8.5 for a decent price. Maybe I can add another site to my list that I can buy from.

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It's hard to say....with only the ~2000 copies that Dave had printed, it's not a book CGC sees a lot of copies of...and the ones they do, are lumped around mid-grade. So I don't know if they've really developed a "profile" with it.

I don't think they grade any different from any other book really. I have owned 6 issues of #1 over the years and they all seem about right for their grade.

Edited by Stingrayiii

1 hour ago, Stingrayiii said:
4 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I don't think they grade any different from any other book really. I have owned 6 issues of #1 over the years and they all seem about right for their grade.

That's not *entirely* true...if a particular book has a known production issue...like the tears in the spine of Wolverine #35, or the massive printer's creases on every Direct copy of Cap #241...they take that into consideration.

33 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That's not *entirely* true...if a particular book has a known production issue...like the tears in the spine of Wolverine #35, or the massive printer's creases on every Direct copy of Cap #241...they take that into consideration.

Could be, I have seen a lot of crazy stuff.

On 1/25/2020 at 10:50 PM, Stingrayiii said:

Curious, Where did you pick it up from? I have a high grade run of Cerebus, but have not been able to find anything higher then a 8.5 for a decent price. Maybe I can add another site to my list that I can buy from.

I purchased through Heritage Auctions.

Assuming Sim had 10 Cerebus #1 copies graded as File copies, the orginal S/N are:

0074671001  9.4

0074671002  9.4

0074671003  9.0

0074671004  *missing*          [presumably now the 2027849001 copy at 9.2]

0074671005  9.0

0074671006  9.2

0074671007  9.2

0074671008  9.0

0074671009  9.2

0074671010  9.4

Which accounts for all 10 copies. No room here for a 9.6 file copy.

Edited by Rosland
fix typo

Updated initial list of 10. Found 1004.

0074671001  9.4

0074671002  9.4

0074671003  9.0

0074671004  8.0       *S/N no longer valid*     [presumably now the 2027849001 copy at 9.2]

0074671005  9.0

0074671006  9.2

0074671007  9.2

0074671008  9.0

0074671009  9.2

0074671010  9.4

Edited by Rosland
fix typo

On 1/26/2020 at 1:30 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

The jagged reading edge on ASM 300 is another. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu