• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nerdy Axe Murderer Sought
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I was slightly traumatized as a kid, early 80's, when reading a horror comic, magazine I believe, in a second hand bookstore and have been trying to find the name of the issue ever since. The basic plot was a nerdy teen with glasses and a beautiful girl run into a barn to get out of the rain. ( want to say is name was Harold or something like that. He professes his love to her and she rejects him, mocking him. He goes nuts and hacks her to pieces with an axe. It would seem like this would have had to be pre-code, but the comic wasn't old. Perhaps this was a reprint? I am almost positive this was in black and white. 

Sorry, I am new to this forum and am not sure if I have posted this in the right place. Any help in identifying this part of my childhood is appreciated.

So, you aren't going to believe this, but this isn't it. It has all the elements, but the one I remember was much more graphic in nature including the actual dismemberment and blood splattering on the murderers face. After reading this issue, it makes me think someone was recycling themes from earlier works.

I really appreciate all the hard work on this.

On 1/21/2020 at 7:45 AM, Doom2012 said:

So, you aren't going to believe this, but this isn't it. It has all the elements, but the one I remember was much more graphic in nature including the actual dismemberment and blood splattering on the murderers face. After reading this issue, it makes me think someone was recycling themes from earlier works.

I really appreciate all the hard work on this.

That is because the first issue of Chilling Tales of Horror only reprints the pre-code version of the story from Weird Mysteries #8. I bet you are looking for the reworked version which is in the first issue of the second volume of Terror Tales and can be read here: http://thehorrorsofitall.blogspot.com/2016/07/i-chopped-her-head-off.html

Since "I Chopped Her Head Off!" was reprinted no less than five times throughout the seventies by Eerie Publications, the following is a list of magazines you could also have first read it in:

Tales of Voodoo v4 #2
Witches Tales v4 #5
Tales from the Tomb v6 #4
Weird v9 #2
Horror Tales v9 #1

Edited by creaturefan95
war is hell