• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Washington State Summer Con 2020
2 2

17 posts in this topic

Just wondering if there are any facilitators for the Washington State Summer Con?

Looks like a good starting list of creators: Kevin Eastman, Peter David, Bob Layton, Gerry Conway, Marv Wolfman. Went there last year (first time) and had a fun time. Steranko, Neal Adams, Jim Lee, Scott Williams, Chris Claremont, Roy Thomas, plus others were there. Was a little surprised CGC didn't have a booth considering how much cheaper it was than ECCC, and there were still a good share of dealers.

On 1/13/2020 at 5:47 PM, HerculoidZok said:

Was a little surprised CGC didn't have a booth considering how much cheaper it was than ECCC, and there were still a good share of dealers.

As I recall last year they had a CGC rep waiting right after people had things signed by Jim Lee. But no dedicated booth. I would not be shocked to see that for Eastman.

18 hours ago, Yoshi said:

As I recall last year they had a CGC rep waiting right after people had things signed by Jim Lee. But no dedicated booth. I would not be shocked to see that for Eastman.

I think they were facilitators... Desert Wind for CGC and Genuine COA for CBCS. Thought about trying Desert Wind but read far too many unfortunate stories.

On 3/10/2022 at 3:21 PM, Drake Dragoon said:

I don't see 'CGC Booth' on the floor plan for the Washington state summer con. I'm disappointed.

At a time when CGC is a year out for returning slabs, they need to be adding MORE booths at shows.

i don't follow your logic?

In a world where cgc is ultra-behind on grading, we need 5-10 staff at headquarters in Florida to fly across (in a pandemic) the country taking days away the office to make it EASIER FOR PEOPLE TO SUBMIT EVEN MORE BOOKS more easily.

On 3/29/2022 at 4:57 PM, revat said:

In a world where cgc is ultra-behind on grading, we need 5-10 staff at headquarters in Florida to fly across (in a pandemic) the country taking days away the office to make it EASIER FOR PEOPLE TO SUBMIT EVEN MORE BOOKS more easily.

Who said the staff that works in Florida is the same staff that works in Washington State? Maybe they have staff in Washington, or maybe they have a dedicated staff for Cons. Either way, CGC grading services are a major part of attending a comic convention for many people.

Providing CGC services at Comic Conventions has helped CGC promote brand recognition and gain new customers; It's a valuable part of their business. Especially when facing new competition in the marketplace.

Cutting CGC booths from conventions only adds to customer frustrations while CGC is facing heavy delays, QC issues, and price hikes.

The reason I won't be attending the Washington State Comic Con? No CGC booth. And when there is a CGC booth, the lines are HUGE. <-- That's profit for any business. And any smart business would hire more people to fill those roles.

More booth =  more con attendees = more happy customers = more brand recognition = more profit = WIN!

"Logic"

On 3/30/2022 at 11:28 PM, Drake Dragoon said:

Who said the staff that works in Florida is the same staff that works in Washington State? Maybe they have staff in Washington, or maybe they have a dedicated staff for Cons. Either way, CGC grading services are a major part of attending a comic convention for many people.

Providing CGC services at Comic Conventions has helped CGC promote brand recognition and gain new customers; It's a valuable part of their business. Especially when facing new competition in the marketplace.

Cutting CGC booths from conventions only adds to customer frustrations while CGC is facing heavy delays, QC issues, and price hikes.

The reason I won't be attending the Washington State Comic Con? No CGC booth. And when there is a CGC booth, the lines are HUGE. <-- That's profit for any business. And any smart business would hire more people to fill those roles.

More booth =  more con attendees = more happy customers = more brand recognition = more profit = WIN!

"Logic"

I think we have different understandings of some baseline facts about Cgc and how conventions operate.  So naturally our respective logic won’t lead to the same conclusions.

Have a good day.

Edited by revat

On 3/31/2022 at 1:28 AM, Drake Dragoon said:

Who said the staff that works in Florida is the same staff that works in Washington State?

You mean other than anyone who has even the slightest clue how things work?

Cutting CGC booths from conventions only adds avoids adding to customer frustrations while CGC is facing heavy delays, QC issues, and price hikes.

Fixed.

The reason I won't be attending the Washington State Comic Con? No CGC booth.

lol

On 4/6/2022 at 6:08 PM, Lazyboy said:

You mean other than anyone who has even the slightest clue how things work?

Yep. I'm a normal consumer who enjoys ease of access, extended services, and savings. I don't really need to know about the inner working of a company I'm not invested in. I'm here for the service they provide, not a logistics conference.

On 3/29/2022 at 4:57 PM, revat said:

Providing these services isn't logical? :shiftyeyes: This you???

On 10/1/2019 at 4:17 PM, revat said:

There MIGHT be a line to drop off books, ok PROBABLY.  And it might be a long one.

Pro's: 

1.  Don't have to package or pay for shipping to CGC in Florida (although technically you could drop at a con for non-onsite grading).

2.  Less handling and transpo means less chance of damage

3.  Get your comic back way faster, and don't have to pay for return shipping or insurance (or worry about damage from shipping)

4.  You can argue about newton rings on the SPOT.

And here is an example of a user who's not happy that on-site grading went away at their location:

On 10/3/2019 at 11:17 AM, Icculus308win said:

....the on-site grading at Chicago - used to be a wonderful thing 😔

And this one, where they also plan a convention based on available CGC services:

On 11/25/2019 at 3:41 PM, BronzeBruce13 said:

For some of us, knowing sooner than later about an On-Site Events is key in planning our cons for the year.

I think you get where I'm going with this...

It would be logical to add more CGC booths at shows: customers are happy, CGC gets a win. How they accomplish that is purely logistics that they can afford to put together with as much demand as they have generated. ANY business would be jealous.

Whether they have to "fly someone across country" or not is a business decision they can sort out on their end. It ain't my problem. I'm just a consumer.

Hopefully that clarifies my logic.

That said, I can see where you're coming from. You believe they can only employ a few graders, and they aren't able to figure out how to get qualified people to shows without compromising the limited staffing in Florida. But I believe they have enough demand and money to figure that part out - and they should. That's where we differ.

On 4/14/2022 at 3:13 AM, Drake Dragoon said:

Providing these services isn't logical? :shiftyeyes: This you???

And here is an example of a user who's not happy that on-site grading went away at their location:

And this one, where they also plan a convention based on available CGC services:

I think you get where I'm going with this...

It would be logical to add more CGC booths at shows: customers are happy, CGC gets a win. How they accomplish that is purely logistics that they can afford to put together with as much demand as they have generated. ANY business would be jealous.

Whether they have to "fly someone across country" or not is a business decision they can sort out on their end. It ain't my problem. I'm just a consumer.

Hopefully that clarifies my logic.

That said, I can see where you're coming from. You believe they can only employ a few graders, and they aren't able to figure out how to get qualified people to shows without compromising the limited staffing in Florida. But I believe they have enough demand and money to figure that part out - and they should. That's where we differ.

I think there may also be a disconnect in what we view as a "CGC booth" at a convention.  Prior to the pandemic, the VAST majority of CGC participation at conventions would be just to have a booth, WHICH ONLY ACCEPTED SUBMISSIONS (and provided cgc ss witnesses, which only led to more submissions) and NO ONSITE GRADING, very few conventions (Less than 5 a year, and they  were MAJOR ONES only going as far West as Chicago), had onsite grading.  I think they wouldn't even consider onsite grading unless they were 1000% percent sure it would be 1000% profitable.  So I was not even considering ON-SITE grading.

So you proposing a CGC booth in Washington reads to me as "Lets send staff across country in a pandemic to collect MORE books, but do nothing to speed up processing or grading.  In fact, it will probably slow things down. "

I'm not saying it would never make sense, obviously CGC use to go to every major (and many minor) conventions to accept submissions and they grew into a super monopoly.  But Washington? now?  

On 4/14/2022 at 9:47 AM, revat said:

So you proposing a CGC booth in Washington reads to me as "Lets send staff across country in a pandemic to collect MORE books, but do nothing to speed up processing or grading.  In fact, it will probably slow things down. "

Even if I had only been talking about 'collecting MORE books', with no 'ON-SITE GRADING', then CGC could just hire any $15 an hour employee to simply collect those books. So, if that's what you thought I meant, why would CGC fly a staffer all the way from Florida if they don't even need a professional to grade something? Who does that? Probably no one running a successful business.

I suppose, if you add a 'witness' for signing events, that MAY require a Florida staffer at a booth. Yet CGC still does SS events (mostly in Florida, but also in Texas and California).

Anyhow, I was (pretty obviously) not referring to a CGC booth that only collects books to send off to Florida like every other submission - that makes almost no sense (except to save on one way shipping, minus entry fee, if you're already attending the convention).

On 4/14/2022 at 9:47 AM, revat said:

But Washington? now? 

Why not? What's stopping them? America is open for business.

You are truly in a minority in your thinking.

They are a VERY successful company and I am pretty sure they don't need your suggestions.

They don't need to set up at shows because business is simply that good and proof comes in how long it takes to get my submissions back. 

They set up at my backyard Con six years ago (with on-site) once (and it's much bigger than Washington) and only once.

Reason, not enough submissions to make it worth their while and I am not at all upset that they aren't setting up and I am still going to hit up closest Cons around me.

On 4/15/2022 at 5:51 PM, Monstertruck97 said:

You are truly in a minority in your thinking.

They are a VERY successful company and I am pretty sure they don't need your suggestions.

They don't need to set up at shows because business is simply that good and proof comes in how long it takes to get my submissions back. 

They set up at my backyard Con six years ago (with on-site) once (and it's much bigger than Washington) and only once.

Reason, not enough submissions to make it worth their while and I am not at all upset that they aren't setting up and I am still going to hit up closest Cons around me.

Good for you my friend.

EVERY successful company listens to their customers.

They don't need to set up at shows because business is simply that good

This would be one of the poorest excuses a company could demonstrate to their shareholders.

Reason, not enough submissions to make it worth their while

Not true. As stated by revat: There MIGHT be a line to drop off books, ok PROBABLY.  And it might be a long one.