• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

heritage auction, did anybody win anything they were after?

124 posts in this topic

Forget about the guide when it comes to Heritage bid wins, especially high grade anything. On top of the 15% and/or high reserves you are guaranteed a quality book but at what cost? Their marketing I guess has everything to do with receiving these prices for their customers despite the 15% juice from the sellers end. I didn't win any books however I was curious to see the final bid on the Detective # 135 9.4. This popular Frankenstein cover fetched a whopping $3,593.00 including the commission. The CGC cencus has this top ranked with my 8.0 in second place. Would it be wishful thinking that double guide for the 8.0 [ $ 494.00 ] would receive any interest? file0175.jpg[/img]

Forget about the guide when it comes to Heritage bid wins, especially high grade anything. On top of the 15% and/or high reserves you are guaranteed a quality book but at what cost? Their marketing I guess has everything to do with receiving these prices for their customers despite the 15% juice from the sellers end. I didn't win any books however I was curious to see the final bid on the Detective # 135 9.4. This popular Frankenstein cover fetched a whopping $3,593.00 including the commission.

3.5X of Guide doesn't seem so incredibly high for a 9.4 book from this era. It's not like you can expect another copy to come along next week or next month, right? So if you're a bidder who wants this book in this grade, you better be prepared to jump on it otherwise who knows when you'll see another copy.

Also, don't let the 15% premium freak you out. Just factor it into your bidding price from the start. Here's a trick that most sophisticated buyers use: they take their target maximum price and divide by 1.15, and the resulting price is what they actually enter as the bid amount.

3.5X of Guide doesn't seem so incredibly high for a 9.4 book from this era. It's not like you can expect another copy to come along next week or next month, right? So if you're a bidder who wants this book in this grade, you better be prepared to jump on it otherwise who knows when you'll see another copy.

True to an extent. You can always wait for the same book to come back into the market. Take my More Fun 56 CGC 9.0 for example. I sold it in the April 2004 auction for just under 11k. It popped back up in this auction and went for 9700. Or the Adventure 79 Mile High. Sold for almost 30k in a recent auction, and 19k this time around.

The old saw still holds true. If you want a book, and the price of a copy is too high, wait. A copy will come your way at the price you want to pay.

True to an extent. You can always wait for the same book to come back into the market. Take my More Fun 56 CGC 9.0 for example. I sold it in the April 2004 auction for just under 11k. It popped back up in this auction and went for 9700. Or the Adventure 79 Mile High. Sold for almost 30k in a recent auction, and 19k this time around.

This is interesting, isn't it? So many times, golden age collectors hold themselves out to be more "pure" because they're in it as collectors and not as investors/flippers. And yet, as you've indicated, there is no shortage of GA books coming back to the market in short order.

The old saw still holds true. If you want a book, and the price of a copy is too high, wait. A copy will come your way at the price you want to pay.

Definitely agree with this, but "the price you want to pay" has to be something reasonable too. In this case, 3.5X didn't seem such an unreasonable price for this book. If the reserve had been 6 or 7X, I could certainly understand people then saying the asking price was outrageous and they're willing to wait.

I like the Heritage auctions. I understand that the consignor can bid for their books

This is not true.

When I attend the sale of a number of Russ Cochran's art pieces, I recall them announcing that Russ Cochran would be allowed to bid on his lots. I would love to be corrected on this if I'm wrong, but I noted it at the time as I thought it funny, in the least. I'm certain they wouldn't allow it without the announcement.

If anyone picked up any of the Science Comics 1-5 and are interested in a quick flip, let me know. There was a phone snafu and I couldn't bid.

Definitely a pretty nice bargain on the Larson Copy of Science Comics #3. A classic early Fox cover that's extremely tough to find in grade and just a bit over 2X guide for a CGC 9.4 copy. 893whatthe.gif

Even I would have given serious consideration to the book at this price if I had seen it. cloud9.gif

Interesting. The Mile High 9.4 Brenda Starr #14 book sold for over $17,000 (with the premium). This is a 70% increase over the last time it sold on Heritage 4 years ago for a little over $10,000. However, it seems like the seller probably only made $2,000 due Heritage's fees. Is the book only worth that much if sold in a Heritage Auction? Otherwise, why wouldn't the seller try Comiclink or Ebay first for the much lesser fees?

Now I see the Blue Beetle #54 Mile High copy is also available for the October auction. I wonder how much that one will sell for?

I like the Heritage auctions. I understand that the consignor can bid for their books

This is not true.

When I attend the sale of a number of Russ Cochran's art pieces, I recall them announcing that Russ Cochran would be allowed to bid on his lots. I would love to be corrected on this if I'm wrong, but I noted it at the time as I thought it funny, in the least. I'm certain they wouldn't allow it without the announcement.

If that's true, that's screwed up, announcement or no. Let the man set a reserve and be done with it.

Sounds a bit lilly-livered to me. Either sell or don't, I say. sumo.gif

Interesting. The Mile High 9.4 Brenda Starr #14 book sold for over $17,000 (with the premium). This is a 70% increase over the last time it sold on Heritage 4 years ago for a little over $10,000. However, it seems like the seller probably only made $2,000 due Heritage's fees. Is the book only worth that much if sold in a Heritage Auction? Otherwise, why wouldn't the seller try Comiclink or Ebay first for the much lesser fees?

Now I see the Blue Beetle #54 Mile High copy is also available for the October auction. I wonder how much that one will sell for?

Wow, that's a surprisingly high price for the Brenda Starr #14. Surprising in the sense that this book has shown up quite a few times in the past couple years and could have been had for a lower price than this.

With respect to the BB#54, I think this is going to attract some pretty big dollars since I think this is the first time to market for this book. Especially considering that a VF+ copy alread sold for over $3,200 in an earlier Heritage auction this year

It should also be interesting to see where the 9.6 MH copy of BB #52 end up finishing since this is another one of the beautiful covers in the run.

Wow, that's a surprisingly high price for the Brenda Starr #14. Surprising in the sense that this book has shown up quite a few times in the past couple years and could have been had for a lower price than this.

With respect to the BB#54, I think this is going to attract some pretty big dollars since I think this is the first time to market for this book. Especially considering that a VF+ copy alread sold for over $3,200 in an earlier Heritage auction this year

It should also be interesting to see where the 9.6 MH copy of BB #52 end up finishing since this is another one of the beautiful covers in the run.

I just won the 5.5 copy of #52 on Ebay. I love those Kamen Blue Beetle covers.

By the way, have you heard anything about the Mile High copy of Phantom Lady #17? The top of census is 9.0, so the raw copy is probably still floating around somewhere. I was really surprised to see a 4.0 copy of this book go for $2,700 on Ebay. That's almost as much as the 6.0 copy that sold on Heritage not too long ago.

I agree, that's a nutty price. Right alongside Reform School Girls, this books has priced itself out of the market for me...I dunno, it's a great book and all, but how many other great books could I score with that dough? I'd rather eschew the bidding war. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

By the way, have you heard anything about the Mile High copy of Phantom Lady #17? The top of census is 9.0, so the raw copy is probably still floating around somewhere. I was really surprised to see a 4.0 copy of this book go for $2,700 on Ebay. That's almost as much as the 6.0 copy that sold on Heritage not too long ago.

Skybolt;

Nice pickup on the BB #52. I've always consider that to be probably the second best cover on the Kamen Blue Beetle run.

With respect to the PL #17, based upon the relative dollars: all I can say is that I would take the PL #23 over the PL #17 since it would most likely end up selling at a substnatial relative discount for a almost similar type cover. takeit.gif

Skybolt;

Nice pickup on the BB #52. I've always consider that to be probably the second best cover on the Kamen Blue Beetle run.

With respect to the PL #17, based upon the relative dollars: all I can say is that I would take the PL #23 over the PL #17 since it would most likely end up selling at a substnatial relative discount for a almost similar type cover. takeit.gif

If a #23 ever shows up. I think if a FN/VF copy hit the market today, it would go for multiples of guide. If I can say this, I think the nipple factor really helps #17. insane.gif

Not to turn this into another GGA discussion, but I love the cover on #49 almost as much as #54. That was the single most influential book that got me started on my GGA collection. Before that, I was mainly interested in collecting superhero covers.

Forget about the guide when it comes to Heritage bid wins, especially high grade anything. On top of the 15% and/or high reserves you are guaranteed a quality book but at what cost? Their marketing I guess has everything to do with receiving these prices for their customers despite the 15% juice from the sellers end. I didn't win any books however I was curious to see the final bid on the Detective # 135 9.4. This popular Frankenstein cover fetched a whopping $3,593.00 including the commission.

Also, don't let the 15% premium freak you out. Just factor it into your bidding price from the start. Here's a trick that most sophisticated buyers use: they take their target maximum price and divide by 1.15, and the resulting price is what they actually enter as the bid amount.

this 'sophisticated' buyer multiples what he's willing to pay by .875 to get his bid price.

this 'sophisticated' buyer multiples what he's willing to pay by .875 to get his bid price.

You need some more sophistocatin'. You should multiply by 0.869. tongue.gif

Aint you never larned algebra?

Sure would have liked those (2) "unsold" Sam Kieth Marvel Comics Presents Pages…

but my Original Art Guru (Gene) informs me that they are overpriced and since I was the highest bid before the Heritage Reserve Bump (in the $400+ range), I must conclude he is right on.

Wish I knew who owned them, so i could attempt to buy them both at FMV

893crossfingers-thumb.gifdevil.gifjuggle.gif