Can we all agree that Marvel Whitmans are not a thing?
2 2

230 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Warlord said:

:applause:  Awesome find of that little piece of history.  Thanks for the post.  

Paging Wally Green!  That's someone who could provide some fascinating info and stories I would bet.

 

17 hours ago, Brock said:

What an amazing wealth of information... thanks for posting!

And my mind boggles at the notion of a Thundarr the Barbarian comic. That series was always one of my favourites. interesting that of everything listed, I think only it and Astral Frontier were never published.

 

I would have also liked to see their Clash of the Titans adaptation that's listed at the bottom. Some of the Astral Frontier art has popped up.

Original Comic Art:Complete Story, Steve Ditko, Tom Mandrake, and Fred Carrillo - Astral Frontier #1 Complete Unpublished Story, Group of 3 (Whitman, 1982). Fr...Original Comic Art:Complete Story, Steve Ditko, Tom Mandrake, and Fred Carrillo - Astral Frontier #1 Complete Unpublished Story, Group of 3 (Whitman, 1982). Fr...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bellrules said:

 

I would have also liked to see their Clash of the Titans adaptation that's listed at the bottom.

 

The mention on a Clash of the Titans is mentioned under the heading More $2.50 Comics Published which cites the success of the Fox and the Hound adaptation in this format as impetus to continue the line. I think that’s a reference to this book:

DF3903E1-0478-46FB-9744-165D8168C3F3.jpeg.846f8a2673642f014bbaae5015fe2f25.jpeg

And it mentions the Clash adaptation in conjunction with a Flash Gordon adaptation in the same format, which I’m guessing is this book:

2EF171B3-8E7A-4CBE-9393-2B4AB906F0ED.jpeg.6e88d6ee974b10274d4b4a923ed9dc04.jpeg

In that case, we did get the Clash adaptation in this book (I think there’s two different covers):

F2FC1717-3157-47CB-A477-6E9DE7F43F21.jpeg.537998a60ba6b8e88a3a28e5fcd520ee.jpeg

Granted, I think the Flash Gordon and Fox and the Hound books reprint material from the regular comic size adaptations, so it would have been cool to have regular comic versions of the Clash adaptation as well. But I don’t see anything in the article that they were planning on doing that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

The mention on a Clash of the Titans is mentioned under the heading More $2.50 Comics Published which cites the success of the Fox and the Hound adaptation in this format as impetus to continue the line. I think that’s a reference to this book:

DF3903E1-0478-46FB-9744-165D8168C3F3.jpeg.846f8a2673642f014bbaae5015fe2f25.jpeg

And it mentions the Clash adaptation in conjunction with a Flash Gordon adaptation in the same format, which I’m guessing is this book:

2EF171B3-8E7A-4CBE-9393-2B4AB906F0ED.jpeg.6e88d6ee974b10274d4b4a923ed9dc04.jpeg

In that case, we did get the Clash adaptation in this book (I think there’s two different covers):

F2FC1717-3157-47CB-A477-6E9DE7F43F21.jpeg.537998a60ba6b8e88a3a28e5fcd520ee.jpeg

Granted, I think the Flash Gordon and Fox and the Hound books reprint material from the regular comic size adaptations, so it would have been cool to have regular comic versions of the Clash adaptation as well. But I don’t see anything in the article that they were planning on doing that. 

Neat,  I've never seen those before

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, there’s one for the Black Hole too. 
 

D1895B5D-C829-481F-92B5-955BFCBE40A7.jpeg.16f47aa167fce42be963c6d925b5757d.jpeg

There might be others, but I’m not aware of them. Condorman was around the same time but I don’t think there’s one for that movie. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Number 6 said:

Yeah, there’s one for the Black Hole too. 
 

D1895B5D-C829-481F-92B5-955BFCBE40A7.jpeg.16f47aa167fce42be963c6d925b5757d.jpeg

There might be others, but I’m not aware of them. Condorman was around the same time but I don’t think there’s one for that movie. 

That one I have

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As long as we're somehow talking Western movie adaptations...

Did anybody ever figure out how or why Marvel was involved with the Buck Rogers treasury?  It's not a Marvel Whitman, it's a Whitman Marvel... (Not my copy, image snagged from the GCD:)

761266.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For The Fox and the Hound, I don't think we can state conclusively whether the Western one-shot shown in this thread (mag size, cardstock cover, nice paper) was reprinted from the 2-issue WD F & H series (standard, newsprint).  The story seems to have been published in the 2 formats more-or-less simultaneously.  (If I had to, I would say the standard comics were split from the one-shot.)

A rep of Marvel once stated that movie stories were printed in various formats partly to recoup the licensing fees.  You would routinely see mag, standard comic, treasury, and mass-market PBK all in fairly short order.  Different formats for the same story/art didn't always allow for a clear case of one "reprinted" from another.  That may be the case as well for some of the Western stuff (under Golden, Whitman, etc. imprints).

This is a wild guess regarding Buck Rogers, but it's possible that Marvel's involvement had to do with licensing costs for the movie adaptation -- maybe Western was not in position to take that expense on.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, EC Star&Bar said:

For The Fox and the Hound, I don't think we can state conclusively whether the Western one-shot shown in this thread (mag size, cardstock cover, nice paper) was reprinted from the 2-issue WD F & H series (standard, newsprint).  The story seems to have been published in the 2 formats more-or-less simultaneously.  (If I had to, I would say the standard comics were split from the one-shot.)

I suspect in many cases both formats were printed before either hit the shelves. It's also far from impossible that on sale dates were spread out such that the first issue of the comic version appeared, then the collection, then the second issue.  Picking one or the other as the true first is in some ways down to personal choice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 I should correct my earlier statement -- the standard Walt Disney Fox & Hound comics ran 3 issues, not 2.

Anyway, by that time Western (under the Whitman imprint, 1981) was no longer having their comics distributed as returnable newsstand issues. So, as bagged non-returnables for these, we likely will not be able to establish a true on-sale date (despite cover dates being known from the issue code or otherwise).  I do remember solicits as late as 1984 for some Whitman issues going to LCSs as Direct.

I have a copy of one version of the mag-sized Fox & Hound one-shot (there are 3 versions known) and it has nice production values.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, EC Star&Bar said:

For The Fox and the Hound, I don't think we can state conclusively whether the Western one-shot shown in this thread (mag size, cardstock cover, nice paper) was reprinted from the 2-issue WD F & H series (standard, newsprint).  The story seems to have been published in the 2 formats more-or-less simultaneously.  (If I had to, I would say the standard comics were split from the one-shot.)

A rep of Marvel once stated that movie stories were printed in various formats partly to recoup the licensing fees.  You would routinely see mag, standard comic, treasury, and mass-market PBK all in fairly short order.  Different formats for the same story/art didn't always allow for a clear case of one "reprinted" from another.  That may be the case as well for some of the Western stuff (under Golden, Whitman, etc. imprints).

This is a wild guess regarding Buck Rogers, but it's possible that Marvel's involvement had to do with licensing costs for the movie adaptation -- maybe Western was not in position to take that expense on.

 

 

My apologies. When I used the the “reprint” I forgot that term indicates priority. 
 

What I meant to say was they contain the same content. Thanks for the correction. I honestly have no idea which came first or if they were all simultaneous. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2