• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony's KRAVEN THE HUNTER starring Aaron Taylor-Johnson (2023)
2 2

146 posts in this topic

On 6/22/2022 at 6:28 PM, paperheart said:

ASM, ASM 2, Venom, Venom 2, Morbius- why would anyone think this was going to be bad?

Spider-Man (2002), Spider-Man 2 (2004), Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse (2018) - gee I'm not sure

:kidaround:

On 6/22/2022 at 6:33 PM, Bosco685 said:

Spider-Man (2002), Spider-Man 2 (2004), Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse (2018) - gee I'm not sure

:kidaround:

Yup and all those movies were different people at the helm entirely almost two decades ago or a completely different genre (animation) and team. 

So after all the other live action Spiderman universe movies pumped out by Sony in the last 19 years, you expect a hero animal rights activist Kraven movie to be good?  Just so we are clear is that your argument?

On 6/22/2022 at 9:12 PM, SkOw said:

Yup and all those movies were different people at the helm entirely almost two decades ago or a completely different genre (animation) and team. 

So after all the other live action Spiderman universe movies pumped out by Sony in the last 19 years, you expect a hero animal rights activist Kraven movie to be good?  Just so we are clear is that your argument?

Argument? Not sure I put it that way.

Spider-Verse is still Phil Lord and Chris Miller producing the run and any spin-offs. And then purposely selected different directors from the original three. So you may have missed that with assuming 'new team'.

With Kraven until we see a first trailer I'm not going to get excited. Amy Pascal is the co-producer who partnered with Feige on No Way Home. And was involved in the story direction and helping bring back the original actors. The MCU team didn't do this on their own. Remember when the Disney-Sony contract talk broke down, and Feige noted he had a strong solo sequel ready with Peter all by himself and no other characters? That's not what we got.

Trashing Amazing Spider-Man 1 and Venom (2018) when they were good is a difference of opinion. And with Venom 2 it was okay and setup a No Way Home tie-in and Spidey showdown. Though who that Spidey will be is interesting.

Aaron Taylor-Johnson will star in Sony Pictures' upcoming Kraven the Hunter movie. He caused a stir among Marvel Comics fans by describing the character as an "animal lover" previously. Some fans wondered how that computes with a character who, in the comics, is an obsessive hunter, eventually hunting the most challenging game he can imagine, Spider-Man. ComicBook.com had the opportunity to chat with Taylor-Johnson during the press tour for his latest film, Bullet Train. Chris Killian asked the question on every fan's mind: will Kraven still have that "big- lion's mane" in the movie?

Taylor-Johnson wouldn't confirm any specifics about the movie. He did take the opportunity to clarify who his version of Kraven the Hunter is in the film. 

"I can't confirm any details or anything," Taylor-Johnson says. "And also, I guess that was probably a little taken out of context and then run. I mean, I think you know what I meant what really stated was that he was a protector of the natural world I said and he's a conservationist, which is probably more accurate, and then should have stopped there, full stop, shouldn't have gone on beyond that because, yeah I think you know you really got to understand, yeah, he is a hunter and from that world of hunting and there's so many aspects. What I love about that character is that what is he humanizing is that he has flaws, right? Kraven is a beautiful character. Sergei Kravinov is a beautiful character because it's someone who's really understanding themselves and has flaws. This is a character that was built ages ago and it's in a new time and era, but yeah, is he going to be the hunter that we all want to see? Yeah, absolutely. Absolutely."

On 7/30/2022 at 1:18 PM, Bosco685 said:

I still think the only way this works (and the expected twist) is if he's not the true (original) Kraven - but we then discover his father (Russell Crowe) is.

He may be the next generation, and following in his father's footsteps but...

This is largely my bias because my intro to the character was Kraven's Last Hunt, when he's *at least* in his 60s -

But it's also suspicious that IMDB doesn't list character names yet for either Russell Crowe or Alessandro Nivola.

Occam's Razor? One of them is the original / "true" Kraven - and presumptive father of Aaron Taylor Johnson's character.

Sony presented a roughly two-minute teaser trailer from Kraven exclusively for CinemaCon attendees, meaning it won’t be released online. The footage has tons of gruesome kills in it as Kraven takes out poachers and mercs, think Logan, Rambo or John Wick-levels of bloody violence.

The footage showed Russell Crowe as the Russian father of Taylor-Johnson’s Sergei Kravinoff (he speaks in an American accent). The very end of the footage reveals Alessandro Nivola is playing the Rhino. The skin on his arm starts to transform into rhino skin. There's also a very brief shot of Sergei holding up the classic fur costume Kraven wore in the Marvel comics.

J.C. Chandor (Triple Frontier) directs Kraven from a screenplay by Art Marcum & Matt Holloway and Richard Wenk. The film is scheduled to open in cinemas on October 6, 2023.