• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony's KRAVEN THE HUNTER starring Aaron Taylor-Johnson (2023)
2 2

146 posts in this topic

It looks like Kraven the Hunter might be making his way to the SMCU/MCU sooner than expected.

We got word on a potential solo movie for the classic Spider-Man villain some time ago, but we haven't had any updates since. Now, The Illuminerdi has shared details from a Sony casting grid which obviously suggests that the studio is already searching for an actor for the role.

This take on Kraven is described as being Russian in origin, with "superhuman strength, speed, stamina, agility and reflexes." This "maniacal big-game hunter seeks to defeat Spider-Man to prove that he is the greatest hunter in the world."

It sounds like a fairly comic-accurate take on the character, and it's interesting that Spidey is directly referenced here. The site believes this casting call is for Kraven's solo outing, but could it actually be for the next Spider-Man movie? It's been theorized that the relentless villain could show up in New York to take down the Webhead after finding out that he killed Mysterio, which would make sense.

Before you go on, understand that despite everything I said above, this story should not be considered a scoop or an exclusive or anything more than just a rumor at this point because I cannot, at the moment, find a second source to confirm what I’m sharing here. That said, this checks a lot of boxes and is exactly the kind of thing I would want someone to share with me should they have heard something like it. So…here we go.

It appears that Marvel Studios is looking for a Joel Kinnaman-type for an unspecified role in the upcoming Untitled Spider-Man Sequel. Given all the rumors and speculation around what Spidey 3 will likely be about and what villains we are likely to see in it, it’s incredibly easy to make yourself believe that the studio wants this Kinnaman-type for a major role and one that fans are dying to see introduced in the film: Kraven…and I’ll be damned if Kinnaman isn’t perfect for it.

Keep in mind that when studios say they want a “Kinnaman-type” or “Allison Brie-type” that is NOT an indication that that’s the actor they’ve settled on. Those phrases are there to give the various casting agencies an idea of which of their people they should be putting up for the role or checking with to see if they’re available, interested, etc.

So what is a Joel Kinnaman-type and what does it tell us? It gives us a lot of info, to be honest. It means they’re looking for a Caucasian, probably 30-45, who is big (think physically imposing) but who can act as well. They don’t just want muscle here; they want someone who has some experience as a lead because this is likely a character they’re going to develop over the course of the film like they did with Michael Keaton’s Vulture and Jake Gyllenhaal’s Mysterio. So while they may not get Kinnaman for the role, you can see why he’s the “type” they want. He’s 6’2″, has a lean physique and has packed on muscle for several roles (see Altered Carbon), has a ton of experience (including work on CBMs) and, much like Kraven, has traveled the world.

Kinnaman is the guy I never knew I wanted as Kraven until I made this connection, but I want to urge caution one more time before signing off. As exciting as this is, there are too many questions around it to take it as fact. Is the role actually Kraven? It’s unknown but when you start piecing things together it sure seems like it. Would they actually be able to land Kinnaman? I don’t follow him too closely, but it seems like he may have an opening in his schedule this Fall/Winter. Marvel Studios scored big with both Spidey villain castings; Kinnaman would make it a hat trick.

As always, we’ll be working here at Murphy’s Multiverse to find actual EVIDENCE of this, so until then take this as nothing more than a wild rumor that will get you way more excited than you have any reason to be…and cross your fingers that you get to see Kinnaman as Kraven when Spider-Man 3 comes to theaters in December of 2021.

EXCLUSIVE: Even with Venom: Let There Be Carnage and Morbius postponed until 2021, Sony Pictures is continuing to build up its slate of Marvel films. Sources tell Deadline that J.C. Chandor is the choice to direct Sony’s Kraven the Hunter, the latest film to gain momentum in the studio’s Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Sony had no comment.

Sony is continuing to build a healthy development slate of Spider-Man characters to rival other studios’ comic book pics currently in development. Besides Venom 2 and Jared Leto’s Morbius, the studio also recently set S.J. Clarkson to direct its untitled Madame Web pic and tapped Marc Guggenheim to write its Jackpot movie. The next installment in the Spider-Man franchise also begins shooting this winter.

Amy Pascal will produce.

Even before it set this new cinematic universe in motion, Kraven the Hunter is a property the studio has longed to make. Richard Wenk, who penned The Equalizer films for Sony, wrote the -script. The comic revolves around Sergei Kravinoff aka Kraven the Hunter, who is one of Spider-Man’s best known and most formidable enemies as well as the half-brother of the Chameleon. The character has appeared in numerous Spider-Man properties including the popular story Kraven’s Last Hunt.

I agree with casting Jeffrey Dean Morgan.  The guy has the look and the attitude. 

Although, I want to see Reeves in another aspect of the MCU. 

Edited by Buzzetta

Aaron Taylor-Johnson has nabbed the lead role as Kraven the Hunter in Sony’s Marvel film, the studio announced on Wednesday.

The studio also locked in the actor for multiple pictures as the iconic “Spider-Man” villain. J.C. Chandor is directing “Kraven the Hunter.” The project is being billed as the next chapter of Sony’s universe of Marvel-licensed characters. Art Marcum & Matt Holloway and Richard Wenk wrote the screenplay, while Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach are producing.

Born into Russian aristocracy, Sergei Kravinoff a.k.a. Kraven the Hunter is an obsessive big-game hunter who was introduced as a Spider-Man villain in “The Amazing Spider-Man” #15 (1964), and created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. As seen in the original comics, Kravinoff began his career using the typical tools of the hunter but over time he developed a preference to take down large animals with his bare hands. After meeting a Voodoo witch doctor named Calypso, Kravinoff took a herbal potion which enhanced his physical powers give him the strength, speed and senses to match a jungle cat. The potion also extended his life keeping his health and vitality for years to come.

4 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Bout time...

Right?

But I like where they are going here on the casting. He played quite the secretive yet deadly fellow in Tenet as Ives. And was quite buff for the role too.

I have my doubts but I will still see it at some point to see how it ends up.  I have been wrong before. 

14 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

:whatthe:

:baiting:

When they hired Joe Girardi instead of Mattingly after Torre immediately comes to mind. 

Daniel Craig as James Bond... wasn't feeling it at first... now... Daniel Craig is possibly the second best Bond to me. 

Must I list them lol 

I can see that choice working, although I can't see how the story will work without Spider-Man in some way being included. Hunting Spidey was his main drive....

I guess that comes down to what big secret Sony and Marvel are holding about where all this links together.

I don't feel like he is big and scarey enough, but I guess there may not be enough big and scarey leading men out there who can pull off the role, and having some sex appeal may sell tickets if he is the main character. this is the trickey part about a non-cgi villian being the lead. 

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

When I think of Kraven I think of an older character to be honest. 

yeah, unless this is just the young kraven origin story... he had to be young at some point ...