• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artists Outside Their Element
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Certain artists are generally attached to a certain style or a certain genre because that is often times where most of their work is done. For example, Curt Swan I associate with Superman, Jack Kirby with superhero related stuff, Graham Ingels with horror related covers.

However, most artists get their start somewhere else and do work in other genres. I am interested in seeing some of your favourite covers by your favourite artists when they worked on something other than what they were known for.

For me, I have always loved this Western cover by Ingels. 

18724114%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

Neal Adams I always connect with Batman. I really like this issue of Tomahawk though.

tomahawk116-max-1400.jpg

Jack Kirby on romance books also throws me off. I wouldn't say he could draw people the greatest. But some covers like this one still stand out because its awkward. Is she  holding that vase or leaning against it? If she is leaning against it, the bottom where here feet are makes no sense...maybe the vase is just in the background and her hands are above her head making her appear to hold it??

DltJxJwVsAAXhdL.jpg

I'd say JRJR from 1991+ was out of his element.

Ellis Chambers, who created Cosmo Cat and other Fox Features funny animal characters, taught L.B. Cole how to draw cartoony and drew TONS of great trippy and insane funny animal comics in the late 40s only drew one "serious" thing as far as I know, this cover to Gangsters Can't Win. Which is kind of ironic too, since Chambers was a heroin addict and had troubles with the mob, who supposedly killed him in the early 1950s over a bad drug deal.

0.jpg