• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s STAR WARS: ANDOR show (TBD)

133 posts in this topic

Not a fan of anything that's come out by Disney recently except for this show. Andor is GREAT and worthy to be a close part of the Rogue One storyline. Diego Luna and Stellan Skarsgard are brilliant, but the writing is solid, and the cinematography is wonderful. It has a different mood and new atmosphere yet it's still totally Star Wars. As long as Disney still puts out content like this it'll make it easier to ignore all the garbage they put out too.

I had to go back and watch Rogue One again after these first few episodes to see how much the character had evolved. You can definitely tell it's the same writing team, and I am wondering if all the episodes will be in the same timeline. 

I have read some people say that this is better than The Mandalorian, meaning that I'll have to give it a fair shake. I don't really care for Rogue One that much (I think it's mediocre, good production value, lacks the Star Wars audio flare), so thought that this wouldn't be my cup o' tea.

Star Wars for grown ups is here.  Last episode was a triumph! Most fans of the franchise will be wondering what the heck happened to make Star Wars slow, thoughtful and intellectual, but this is probably the best serious work any Star Wars actor has appeared in since Alec Guinness did the Smiley’s People series for the BBC (highly recommended!).

12 episodes-so at halfway point. I would like to see the Emperor drop in and lean on Mon Mothma at some point. I think it would be great to see how he acts towards his subjects at this point in time. 

On 10/14/2022 at 1:40 AM, kimik said:

Is the first season done? I was planning on binge watching it on a weekend. I was unsure about the quality after the mess that Obi-Wan was

12 episodes in 3 episode arcs. Just finished the second arc. 

The more I think about it, I think this is the best science fiction or fantasy show on tv.  Who knew Star Wars could be made tense and slow and yet still have incredibly thrilling and unexpected scenes. It's a different kind of cinema, not suited to all Star Wars fans, but in terms of quality of storytelling it is very hard to top.

On 10/17/2022 at 4:41 PM, sfcityduck said:

The more I think about it, I think this is the best science fiction or fantasy show on tv.  Who knew Star Wars could be made tense and slow and yet still have incredibly thrilling and unexpected scenes. It's a different kind of cinema, not suited to all Star Wars fans, but in terms of quality of storytelling it is very hard to top.

Agreed.  Its Shakespeare compared to She Hulk! 

In the sixth episode of the season, they introduce a ton of characters. In this one episode, they introduced Commandant Jayhold, and we got to know him better than almost any other imperial officer we've seen in Star Wars. And then he dies, in the SAME episode he's introduced.

We meet his boss the engineer. We get to know his family. We learn the dynamic of why he's hoping this day goes well, so he and his family can get moved to a better assignment on another planet. We see how overbearing he is to his son. We see how his wife goes tit for tat with him, jabbing about how maybe his he who has "expanded" vs. his dress uniform compressing. We see how he takes the pressure about his job from his superiors and puts that down on the people who work for him. I FELT that.

Then during the heist, we see the engineer get killed trying to have the rebels let Jayhold's son free. We see the "good guys" put a gun to the head of a CHILD. Then when the rebels make the imperial's load the bounty, Jayhold was also forced to help, after it's been established that he is not in good shape. The work of having to move that heavy cargo plus the stress of his family being in danger and blasters being pointed at everyone gets to him, and dude dies of a heart attack. We don't know what happens to his wife and son - we see them later but did Cinta leave without killing the prisoners who saw her? We don't know.

And all of this was really just a subplot to the episode. This is just outstanding television - we know more about this dude from one episode than we do about Tarkin who has been in Star Wars since 1977.

Edited by Hawkman

Episode 7.

This is how you do a transition episode. Nothing happens, but it isn't filler at ALL. This episode shows the impact of what happened during the heist, lets us look beneath the hood on both sides of the conflict, and sets up the second half of the season all in an episode with zero action.

I straight up CARE about these characters. On both sides!!! This show has been outstanding in showing that it's not always good vs. evil, or right vs. wrong.

For example the Major from the ISB has shown that he's a great boss - recognizing that Dedra was doing the right thing even if it meant that the sectors he'd drawn were outdated and useless given the circumstances. We're also pulling hard rooting for Dedra in this show even though she's trying to take down the rebels. Even Syril Karn has become a relatable character that I'm pulling for, in seeing him get demoted for doing the "right" thing and getting berated by his mother constantly. Subtle thing but there was a shot of him in his bedroom with her offscreen calling his name, and you could FEEL the unease in the pit of his stomach just hearing his mom's voice.

Then on the rebel side you see how it ain't all roses. They out here ordering a hit on Andor himself. Mon Mothma is battling on multiple sides (she is KILLING this role, crazy to think she was first cast way back during the prequels and had her scenes cut, and is now finally able to do the role.)

On top of that, the worldbuilding is freaking top notch. We got to see a beach resort planet in Star Wars, and it still felt like Star Wars. Andor is there with a fake name, a fake girlfriend, living a fake life, and he gets pulled out of it and sent to prison for 6 years when he didn't even do anything. But actually - he did. The Empire is clamping down on everyone because of the heist and it's impact. At the same time that heist has emboldened others across the galaxy to rebel. So on his vacation planet running errands to go to the store, he gets caught up in the mix with some rebels that he unknowingly inspired. Also when you think about it - him getting caught up is because he isn't doing what he SHOULD be doing. He's not supposed to be burying his head in the sand shilling on the beach - he should be out there rebelling himself. So him getting caught up was almost like the Force intervening and pulling him out of his fake life and back into the game.

I haven't even mentioned Luthen and his plotting, the multiple Palpatine name drops from this episode, Wulf Yularren from the ISB showing up, Karn's new job doing data entry (Dedra will definitely end up finding his name in a report and working with him to catch Andor), Cinta doing a secret mission back on Aldani, or Vel meeting with Luthen's assistant.

All of this in an episode where nothing really happened. Wow.

Just binged episodes 5 to 7. Ep. 6 obviously has the most action with the 'Eye' storm. Surprised how good a quieter episode 7 shows the harsh Imperial consequences over multiple sectors as the start of the galactic Rebellion. As mentioned above, very good world building. 9/10.