• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

35 cent Variant List-Help wanted

904 posts in this topic

Some random 35 cent variant tidbits:

I just noticed another correction for the website. Powerman #47 is noted as a September cover date but it was actually an October cover date as this title went Bi-monthly after 46.

Once you include the Dr. Strange #23 provided by RealityTrip the list of unknown issues will be down to about a dozen. It also leaves the Incredible Hulk #216 as the only comic published monthly that has yet to appear (TOD #59 was talked about in CBM and is in the CGC census).

The non-reprint issues left are the Hulk 216, Powerman 47 and Super-Villain Team-up 12-13. It's still hard to believe that the Kid Colt 220 was found before the Hulk 216. BTW, Kid Colt 218 is cover dated June, KC 219 is August and KC 220 is October.

The non-reprint issues left are the Hulk 216, Powerman 47 and Super-Villain Team-up 12-13. It's still hard to believe that the Kid Colt 220 was found before the Hulk 216. BTW, Kid Colt 218 is cover dated June, KC 219 is August and KC 220 is October.

I'm not sure how many (if any) SVTU 14's have been found since mine, but mine was the first one found and was in the same box as the KC 220... I haven't followed the other finds closely enough to be sure, but that may still be the only known copy...

24 days left until I see three more long boxes from the same original-owner collection as the KC 220... cloud9.gif ... And roughly two months until my travels take me to the city where they were purchased off the rack... sumo.gif

Some random 35 cent variant tidbits:

I just noticed another correction for the website. Powerman #47 is noted as a September cover date but it was actually an October cover date as this title went Bi-monthly after 46.

Once you include the Dr. Strange #23 provided by RealityTrip the list of unknown issues will be down to about a dozen. It also leaves the Incredible Hulk #216 as the only comic published monthly that has yet to appear (TOD #59 was talked about in CBM and is in the CGC census).

Thanks for the sharp eye. I've added this. As for the TOD 59, I've reluctantly been trying to maintain my position of insisting on seeing a scan before I check it off. I don't want there to be any question of the validity of the checklist, since these are so rare. Also, and we've discussed this before, CGC hasn't been completely accurate in it's recording of variant issues. Variant issues have been overlooked, non-variants have been mislabelled (if I recall correctly), and some correctly labelled variants haven't made the census. I just want this to be undeniably accurate, even though I agree the TOD 59 is probably known to exist.

Now, if the owner reads the forums and is willing to share a scan, that would be great.

Thanks for the sharp eye. I've added this. As for the TOD 59, I've reluctantly been trying to maintain my position of insisting on seeing a scan before I check it off. I don't want there to be any question of the validity of the checklist, since these are so rare. Also, and we've discussed this before, CGC hasn't been completely accurate in it's recording of variant issues. Variant issues have been overlooked, non-variants have been mislabelled (if I recall correctly), and some correctly labelled variants haven't made the census. I just want this to be undeniably accurate, even though I agree the TOD 59 is probably known to exist.

Now, if the owner reads the forums and is willing to share a scan, that would be great.

When I wrote up my 35 cent musings I only stated that stuff about the TOD 59 to indicate there is some evidence as to its existence as opposed the Hulk 216 which I have never heard anything about yet was among the most popular titles at the time. BTW, I have also read in CBM that a Marvel Super Action #2 was discovered. Anyway, I didn't mean that the TOD 59 should be taken off the list especially since I now subscribe to the "seeing is believing" standard for these things. There is simply too many unsubstantiated "facts" out there and I know how important the veracity of data is. thumbsup2.gif

Maybe Lighthouse will find all the rest in the next few months and make all this moot. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

I thought it would be worth making note that the deal between Daethwalker and myself has now been complted. He has all the money and I have all the comics.

Despite minor misgivings on both our parts as to how the transaction would work out, there were in fact very few big problems when you consider the size and value of the books in question.

I wanted to give Greg some big credit by the way. I have always been very critical of the grading of almost anybody I buy books from. This mostly because, if like me you subscribe to the theory that CGC knows how to grade, very few sellers come close to hitting CGC standards with their grades.

As an individual that has not been "contaminated" by the eBay grading world, I might have expected that the grades Greg threw around were "liberal", to say the least. To me, that was the biggest risk in the transaction.

While there were a number of books that I figure for 7.0 to 7.5 (and one really lousy copy of Logan's Run), this collection lived up nearly exactly ro what Greg made it out to be. I would say that on average these came out to just slightly under VF/NM, maybe VF++++. But in that group of 94 were at least a dozen with prospects for 9.4 or better.

Greg's estimate of his collection quality surpassed those that I have received from people that presumably do this for a living. Of course it didn't hurt that Grep posted full size scans of all the books in advance.

I'll continue to make more details known as time goes on. For now, I can say that virtually all of these will be sent off to CGC. I hope to have most back by close to New Years-

Have a great week everybody-

Well.. I tried to sneak away with this smirk.gif but since the cat is now out of the bag let the bidding war begin. news.gif Rawhide Kid 141 35 cent variant on e-bay. Let's see who wants it bad enough. popcorn.gif

Rawhide Kid 141

Pop quiz:

Am I:

A) happy I sold my Kid Colt 220 when I did, so I could still get the extra juice for being the first one?

B) bummed because I could have won this one and had both known western variants at the same time?

C) happy that a second western has been found because it means I have a better chance to finish the set down the road?

And metarog... why in the world would you place a marker bid on a book this rare that you think other guys might not find? You think there aren't ten variant collectors who are constantly checking the bids of the rest of the variants collectors? Sheesh...

I had set a snipe on this when it popped up on my search for any newly listed items with "rawhide" in the title or description. Next I emailed the seller to see how much it would take for them to pull the auction and deal with me directly and next I emailed them certain western issues to look for... I do this with every haphazard unaware seller of 35 cent variants devil.gif this is also the 2ND rawhide kid 141 that I have seen. The other one went for $5 and I have been chasing both the seller and buyer for the ook...unsuccessfully...they probably think I'm a stalker-type - how well they know me tongue.gif

Next I emailed the seller to see how much it would take for them to pull the auction and deal with me directly

I did the same thing 27_laughing.gifdevil.gif

I will have to add something to my future emails talking about other crazy ebayers chasing this book for a "fraternity prank scavenger hunt" and to pay them no mind tongue.gif

I had set a snipe on this when it popped up on my search for any newly listed items with "rawhide" in the title or description. Next I emailed the seller to see how much it would take for them to pull the auction and deal with me directly and next I emailed them certain western issues to look for... I do this with every haphazard unaware seller of 35 cent variants devil.gif this is also the 2ND rawhide kid 141 that I have seen. The other one went for $5 and I have been chasing both the seller and buyer for the ook...unsuccessfully...they probably think I'm a stalker-type - how well they know me tongue.gif

Did the buyer of the 141 buy it not knowing it was a variant?

Well.. I tried to sneak away with this smirk.gif but since the cat is now out of the bag let the bidding war begin. news.gif Rawhide Kid 141 35 cent variant on e-bay. Let's see who wants it bad enough. popcorn.gif

Rawhide Kid 141

Pop quiz:

Am I:

A) happy I sold my Kid Colt 220 when I did, so I could still get the extra juice for being the first one?

B) bummed because I could have won this one and had both known western variants at the same time?

C) happy that a second western has been found because it means I have a better chance to finish the set down the road?

And metarog... why in the world would you place a marker bid on a book this rare that you think other guys might not find? You think there aren't ten variant collectors who are constantly checking the bids of the rest of the variants collectors? Sheesh...

confused-smiley-013.gifI think that in my excitement-I just wasn't thinking logically! 893frustrated.gif Especially since I ran across it by just dumb luck. I was browsing through the e-bay bronze-age superhero auctions when I saw this and said to myself, "there is no way this could be the 35 cent variant". mad.gif Of course, as soon as I saw the scan I plopped in a bid without thinking that somebody would be trolling me. I don't consider myself a variant collector... but I will pick them up if cheap. Oh Well, guess I'll just have to work overtime to afford those bronze-agers I was dreaming. of.

question for silverand bronze: do you know if that sgt fury 142 currently up IS the only known copy out there or is it different from the copy you used to check it off your list of known 35 centers? Thanks smile.gif

I have to fire up my old desktop to check. My guess is that it's a second copy--I seem to recall the scan that was sent to me showing a higher grade copy. Don't take my word on this, though. My memory is [!@#%^&^] since my daughter was born last year. I'll try to check later tonight or tomorrow.

I was browsing through the e-bay bronze-age superhero auctions when I saw this and said to myself, "there is no way this could be the 35 cent variant". mad.gif Of course, as soon as I saw the scan I plopped in a bid without thinking that somebody would be trolling me.

While it's never a good strategy, don't beat yourself up over this one. I saw it, and I suspect quite a few others did.

The ones to be careful of are those that DO NOT list the issue number in the title or description (i.e. "Lot of Bronze Age Bargains!!", and therefore can't be searched easily.

[

"Sheesh" is an overwhelming understatement. Anyone of us that has had any success at finding some of these tougher ones knows the value of the "hidden" variants. 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Some tips:

1) If you are not going to bid on it, keep it to yourself. Any number of hard core collectors already know about it. In case you are trying to do them a favor, you are probably not. shocked.gif

2) If you are going to bid on it, either watch it or snipe it. Lighthouse put it well. I probably check Darth's bid list on eBay onec e week. First to see if he's marking anything that I was too lazy to look for and second to see what he managed to elude everybody else in finding. makepoint.gif

Lest everybody claim credit for spotting and sniping the 141, as of yesterday, there were only 5 recorded viewings and the auction was over two days old. Today there are 45 recorded hits. 893naughty-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

One of the best hunters I have seen is Cosmic Spider-man. If he didn't know about it before...well you get the point. tonofbricks.gif

I bid high on Light's western and while I missed it, I can't say I'm particularly sorry now, althgough I was then. This additional issue confirms what we probably all know, that the issues are out there. A few like this have probably come and gone. Most of us were not quite smart enough with the search tools to uncover them. Or if you were like me, you were thinking about 30 centers, not 35 centers.

I don't suppose most of them will really be worth $500 each after a few more turn up. Just a guess on my part.

Since nobody seems to care about the privacy of the deal any more, I'll just tell you that I have a $125 dollar snipe on the 141. If you're thinking about it, adjust accordingly. At least you will know that the 20.50 showing right now is a pipe dream. I'm not going any higher. flamed.gif

This is one big reason that I took on another screen name, to make it a little bit harder for other eBayer's to follow my lead.

In the immortal words of Bill Murray:

"It just doesn't matter"

Cosmic is going to hit this, and hit it hard hard hard. I just threw a bid on there to make it interesting. If I REALLY want something, flying-donut doesn't buy. Mrs. Donut does.