• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Press or Not to Press?

15 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have a Green Lantern #87 in a 9.4.  It actually looks great in the CGC holder, with virtually no obvious defects.  The grading notes indicate there are some spine bends and eraser marks.  Neither of these issues are visible to the eye in the case.

From a bit of research I can see that spine bends could be addressed, but not really sure about the eraser marks.  I can't even see them!

I wondered if this would be a good candidate for pressing?  There is a $275 dollar difference between a 9.4 and 9.6 on Go Collect.

Appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Cheers.

Paul

2 hours ago, Chudders said:

Hi all,

I have a Green Lantern #87 in a 9.4.  It actually looks great in the CGC holder, with virtually no obvious defects.  The grading notes indicate there are some spine bends and eraser marks.  Neither of these issues are visible to the eye in the case.

From a bit of research I can see that spine bends could be addressed, but not really sure about the eraser marks.  I can't even see them!

I wondered if this would be a good candidate for pressing?  There is a $275 dollar difference between a 9.4 and 9.6 on Go Collect.

Appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Cheers.

Paul

Eraser marks? Never heard that one before. Maybe this indicates the comic has already been pressed and cleaned(shrug)

18 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Eraser marks? Never heard that one before. Maybe this indicates the comic has already been pressed and cleaned(shrug)

Yes, unless the person who posted is the original owner of the comic, I would think that the eraser marks are an outcome of some cleaning. 
Also, to the original poster, those will not come out with a press, so you will probably end up with the exact same grade.

9 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Yes, unless the person who posted is the original owner of the comic, I would think that the eraser marks are an outcome of some cleaning. 
Also, to the original poster, those will not come out with a press, so you will probably end up with the exact same grade.

It all depends where the eraser marks are. I have removed many from books that were poorly dry cleaned and pressed by amateurs (and some that consider themselves professionals). 

1 minute ago, joeypost said:

It all depends where the eraser marks are. I have removed many from books that were poorly dry cleaned and pressed by amateurs (and some that consider themselves professionals). 

Joey is “the man” 👍.  When ya coming back up to visit Alaska?

There’s a possibility that trying to remove the eraser residue can result in some gloss removal too. Unslabbing doesn’t always result in a bump up in grade as indicated in many other posts and there’s the inherent risk of accidentally damaging the book but, hey no risk,  no reward

On 2/11/2020 at 10:30 AM, joeypost said:

Were any of them published authors with books on Amazon?

hm

On 2/11/2020 at 8:00 AM, Black_Adam said:

It's easy to get overzealous with dry cleaning. The key to proper cleaning is blend, blend, blend. Gentle, not harsh. Proper dry cleaning sometimes takes a very long time. And yes, you can take the sizing (which is the "gloss") off if you overdo it. "Erasure marks" can (and should) be blended in.

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 11:00 AM, Black_Adam said:

It does as far as a dry cleaning. But, it also indicates a poor attempt at dry cleaning.

On 2/12/2020 at 3:30 AM, joeypost said:

Recently had a book hit by this issue. Will reach out to you for some advice.