• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink's next Featured Auction Has Started Posting Books
17 17

1,664 posts in this topic

On 1/10/2023 at 8:46 AM, pmpknface said:

Found another one, neither of these are my copies:

image.thumb.png.d9f87c97141efd50f80763ec1b36664b.png

Would be fine if they were your copies, but kudos to finding them. Not a huge fan personally of romance books, but anything L.B. is a winner in my book!

On 1/10/2023 at 11:46 AM, pmpknface said:

Found another one, neither of these are my copies:

image.thumb.png.d9f87c97141efd50f80763ec1b36664b.png

On 1/10/2023 at 11:32 AM, pmpknface said:

Speaking of LB Cole, I was just going through the CL listings and found this one that doesn't come up in an LB Cole search.  It's a fairly HTF Star romance book:

image.thumb.png.285ec776e8815fa9c9805e5e727bd7fd.png

L. B. Cole did a PILE of covers. A few of them a fantastic, most of them are good but not great, and some are just plain mediocre. To me, the ones that include close-ups human faces often fall into the mediocre category. In that ISR #1 above, the guy's face just doesn't look quite right: the lips look a little weird, the eyes seem a little off, etc. Cole did a little better with the woman's face, but I don't think naturalistic human faces were his strong suit. The faces on the TTLR #8 don't require as much detail because they're not as close up, so Cole was able to get by on that one. 

On 1/10/2023 at 10:20 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

L. B. Cole did a PILE of covers. A few of them a fantastic, most of them are good but not great, and some are just plain mediocre. To me, the ones that include close-ups human faces often fall into the mediocre category. In that ISR #1 above, the guy's face just doesn't look quite right: the lips look a little weird, the eyes seem a little off, etc. Cole did a little better with the woman's face, but I don't think naturalistic human faces were his strong suit. The faces on the TTLR #8 don't require as much detail because they're not as close up, so Cole was able to get by on that one. 

Oh, I know - I have nearly all of them.  No, Cole is not Matt Baker.  He does have his own distinctive style and it isn't for everyone, I just happen to dig it.  Some of the appeal is in the colors or the layouts or the content of the covers and not in the realism.  But to each their own!  Like most artists he appears to have had different styles over time and changed his approach often.  His paintings of pulp covers don't look anything like these two, for example. 

The above covers also don't pop up every day so I wanted to point them out as they didn't pop up in a search of his name and I didn't want them to get overlooked.  Happy bidding all!  :) 

On 1/12/2023 at 2:30 PM, Dark Knight said:

Cap 1's coming out of the woodwork for sale.  I wonder why people are cashing out of this book?  Such a great key to own,

no kidding! still not over selling my restored 5.5 several years ago .... :cry:

wonder who has it 

On 1/12/2023 at 12:59 PM, fishbone said:
On 1/12/2023 at 11:30 AM, Dark Knight said:

Cap 1's coming out of the woodwork for sale.  I wonder why people are cashing out of this book?  Such a great key to own,

no kidding! still not over selling my restored 5.5 several years ago .... :cry:

wonder who has it 

I sold my 5.0 copy last year :cry:.  Had a tough time deciding whether to sell or keep but knew the market highs won't last forever so I decided to sell.

Maybe I can place some bids for any one of these copies coming up for sale.  We'll see.

On 1/12/2023 at 2:30 PM, Dark Knight said:

I'm still trying to forget how I skipped going after an 8.0 with nice pages back in 2000 or 2001. I think it sold for $40K on the nose. (I basically would have had to blow my entire life savings on it, and I wasn't courageous enough to do that.)

It's much more common than most of the other GA keys, but the MCU seems to be leaving DCs in the dust, so I guess that trumps the high census numbers.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 1/13/2023 at 4:36 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I'm still trying to forget how I skipped going after an 8.0 with nice pages back in 2000 or 2001. I think it sold for $40K on the nose. (I basically would have had to blow my entire life savings on it, and I wasn't courageous enough to do that.)

It's much more common than most of the other GA keys, but the MCU seems to be leaving DCs in the dust, so I guess that trumps the high census numbers.

Same with the bolded.  I'm sure we've had our fair shares of regrets when it comes to books we could've bought much cheaper back in the past.  I certainly had a bunch that I could've purchased for much much less, I wish I had a time machine to go back and buy those books.  But with much uncertainty looming regarding the future values of these comics, I didn't want to be aggressive and just spend $ like water.  If I knew what I know now, I think things would be different for me and most of us and certainly would spend more $ on these treasures.

Absolutely, the MCU is kicking DC in the behind when it comes to movies, shows, merchandise, etc. Better storyline overall and the years of planning it took to make those movies so successful.  DC can't seem to do something similar that is just as successful with that blueprint.  

Sigh, went back to check on a few books I was interested in (after having put in low 'following' bigs when the auctions started) and only now I'm reading ALL the descriptions and once again my hatred for CGC omitting certain label notes has risen to a new high.

Was going to fight for this, as it's a decent poor mans copy of a JSA member key...but alas, very incomplete - something that really should be on that label :( 

00020740800000114123678015.thumb.jpg.c4dcfb65126a48d84370821089547e40.jpg

1231235453_ScreenShot2023-01-22at6_57_17PM.thumb.png.5a9b42529dba1570d986143b4c8788ec.png

Edited by Sauce Dog

Why is this particular Marvel Mystery this expensive? Barely the first couple hours of the auction and already at $45K. Just the scarcity? I mean issue #7 in an 8.0 and #8 in a 7.5 aren’t even at the $2K mark yet, but #9 is at another level.

BBD150C5-3CEA-4A96-B10A-3BD0AF317608.jpeg 

Edited by LDarkseid1