• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Watterson aka Sam Watterson Calvin and Hobbes original art
6 6

215 posts in this topic

I don’t see any definitive thread on this topic, so forgive me if I missed it

i have been interested in Watterson’s original art, and I know it’s scarce because he holds it all, and is very opposed to commercialization if his work. Truly, a man of principle 

as a result, the small amount of art out there goes for heavy gold. 

Like all people with valuable collections, sooner or later they end up in the hands of heirs. And more often than not, they need money and so the next thing you know, they put out a press release saying “It’s time for the world to be able to enjoy this stuff”, and then Heritage or whoever announces a huge signature auction.

who here has a crystal ball? Heritage is currently carrying a very nice page, but I don’t want to be the guy that pays heavy gold right before a glut hits the market.

and for anyone who might take offense by my question, let me just say I truly believe Watterson gave a gift to this world with Calvin and Hobbes

F136D9FC-3EC6-42BC-A726-F099E43672C9.png

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

As mentioned in another thread here, almost all of Watterson's material has already been bequeathed to the Comics archives at Ohio State University. He's not holding onto it to sell for a rainy day, so it's unlikely any of that work will ever cause a glut on the market.

P.S. his first name is Bill, not Sam.

Edited by RBerman

5 minutes ago, RBerman said:

As mentioned in another thread here, almost all of Watterson's material has already been bequeathed to the Comics archives at Ohio State University. He's not holding onto it to sell for a rainy day, so it's unlikely any of that work will ever cause a glut on the market.

/\ This /\

You can always view the art at the Bill Ireland > https://cartoons.osu.edu/events/exploring-calvin-and-hobbes/

Edited by JadeGiant

4 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

i have been interested in Watterson’s original art, and I know it’s scarce because he holds it all, and is very opposed to commercialization if his work. Truly, a man of principle 

Like all people with valuable collections, sooner or later they end up in the hands of heirs. And more often than not, they need money and so the next thing you know, they put out a press release saying “It’s time for the world to be able to enjoy this stuff”, and then Heritage or whoever announces a huge signature auction.

who here has a crystal ball? Heritage is currently carrying a very nice page, but I don’t want to be the guy that pays heavy gold right before a glut hits the market.

and for anyone who might take offense by my question, let me just say I truly believe Watterson gave a gift to this world with Calvin and Hobbes

Sam Watterson?

53691EE8-C0D7-4652-8668-3C60D673381A.gif.5876d498fa167e777e5480135875c9ca.gif

9 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Calvin and Hobbes are recession proof. Look up needle and a haystack on google search, you’ll see the tiger and the kid.

Edited by grapeape

5 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Calvin's favorite cereal was "chocolate frosted sugar bombs" and i still use that phase over the years since

Matches the description of most every breakfast cereal we ate during the 60s.  lol

Edited by pemart1966

19 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Matches the description of most every breakfast cereal we ate during the 60s.  lol

Nevermind the "60's, that's pretty much what's in our pantry. Timbits, Reese cereal (which is pretty awesome actually) and Captain Crunch. There's also an organic cereal that I tried last night that was surprisingly good for something that is supposed to be healthy. That one I hid, the others make me feel like I had ten coffee's after eating a bowl.

Without clicking through...looks mucho carby...so it's garbage.

And...

Ingredients:  Corn meal*, rolled oats*, cane sugar*, whole wheat meal*, peanut butter *, Fair Trade dark chocolate chunks* (cane sugar*, unsweetened chocolate*, cocoa butter*, vanilla extract*), molasses*, sunflower oil*, fair trade cocoa powder*oat bran*, barly malt extract*, wheat bran*, flavours* (chocolate, vanilla), sea salt, rice starch, honey*, tocopherols.

So that's sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar...some wheat-junk that is converted to sugar...sugar, sugar, sugar...need I go on? lol

Edited by vodou
laziness conquered