• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Watterson aka Sam Watterson Calvin and Hobbes original art
6 6

215 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, RBerman said:

Wow, that's a lot for a print which, according to the auction offer, "was sent from Universal Press Syndicate to newspapers that carried the strip." That's a lot of newspapers, thus a lot of prints. Maybe many weren't well preserved, but still...

There’s also one on EBay right now bid at $5200

8 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I like these too. For the price, you get a small piece of ownership. Price seems low right now. Should I jump on it?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/comic-related/bill-watterson-calvin-and-hobbes-signed-limited-edition-lithograph-print-669-1000-watterso/a/7236-92311.s

BB4930DC-6767-4348-8633-3D919D56BD09.png

It’s definitely cool but limited edition signed prints without any original art have always seemed a little like fools gold as far as an investment goes. If you are just buying to display, go for it, however if you are looking for long term value appreciation I think putting the same money towards an original is the better bet. 

14 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

It’s definitely cool but limited edition signed prints without any original art have always seemed a little like fools gold as far as an investment goes. If you are just buying to display, go for it, however if you are looking for long term value appreciation I think putting the same money towards an original is the better bet. 

That’s good advice TA. So far I’ve been unwilling to go “all in” on a piece of original art. Maybe I should just remain patient for the planets to all align correctly for an original 

35 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I like these too. For the price, you get a small piece of ownership. Price seems low right now. Should I jump on it?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/comic-related/bill-watterson-calvin-and-hobbes-signed-limited-edition-lithograph-print-669-1000-watterso/a/7236-92311.s

BB4930DC-6767-4348-8633-3D919D56BD09.png

This same print can go for $10k+

https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=0+790+231&Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&Nty=1&Ntt=watterson+signed+print&ic4=KeywordSearch-A-K-071316

On 4/28/2020 at 12:13 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Love Calvin and Hobbes

I have one book signed by him from the Fireside Bookstore in Chagrin Falls, which I go to from time to time, ever watchful for a glimpse of the elusive one. 

I also have this signed sketch in his Tenth Anniversary book that he gave to his dental hygienist, if I recall correctly. 

3D1589F6-1E27-4DAB-83BC-044B4CEBFC38.jpeg

LOL. That had to be a funny backstory. Usually my hygienist would say “so how’s work and family.”
For Bill I wonder if Jolene said “so how are your cats, sprite, or what’s that other one? Hobbsie?”

8 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I don't understand the enormous bids on these signed lithographs.  Is it just because his signature is so rare?

That is it entirely. Early in his career he would do book signings. Those stopped. I imagine there are a lot of C& H fans who simply have their signed book in a bookcase or a box in the basement. Probably don't give it any thought at all.

34 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

That is it entirely. Early in his career he would do book signings. Those stopped. I imagine there are a lot of C& H fans who simply have their signed book in a bookcase or a box in the basement. Probably don't give it any thought at all.

Wow. Think I could get a lot for this?

Waterston.jpg

40 minutes ago, glendgold said:

Also I can't remember anything I have said or not said during the pandemic, so apologies if I've told this story before. In 2003 or so I was in Amsterdam on a book tour (err...I write books occasionally) and my publisher put me up at the Ambassade, the local hotel that loves writers.  The deal is, they treat you insanely well and on the last day you're there, when you get your breakfast, you're presented with a copy of your book, you autograph it, hand it back to the clerk during checkout, and then it goes into their mind-bogglingly intense library.  So I signed, feeling pretty important, and when the guy ahead of me at the registration desk left, I proudly put my copy of my book on top of the one he'd left there. Calvin and Hobbes: Sunday Pages. 

Nope, didn't get a good look at him. 

https://ambassade-hotel.nl/library/

That is a very cool story!! But now I want to know what you wrote

1 hour ago, glendgold said:

Also I can't remember anything I have said or not said during the pandemic, so apologies if I've told this story before. In 2003 or so I was in Amsterdam on a book tour (err...I write books occasionally) and my publisher put me up at the Ambassade, the local hotel that loves writers.  The deal is, they treat you insanely well and on the last day you're there, when you get your breakfast, you're presented with a copy of your book, you autograph it, hand it back to the clerk during checkout, and then it goes into their mind-bogglingly intense library.  So I signed, feeling pretty important, and when the guy ahead of me at the registration desk left, I proudly put my copy of my book on top of the one he'd left there. Calvin and Hobbes: Sunday Pages. 

Nope, didn't get a good look at him. 

https://ambassade-hotel.nl/library/

Oh that's intense.