• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bill Watterson aka Sam Watterson Calvin and Hobbes original art
6 6

215 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2021 at 1:31 PM, stinkininkin said:

I guess Watterson used an unstable marker for his lettering and border panels. All the fading I've seen on C&H originals is confined to these two elements, and thankfully, not any of the actual art. That said, the lettering (words!) matter a LOT in a C&H original, so preservation of these treasures is important. The fading on my C&H original is pretty minimal at this point, but I've decided to keep the piece out of the light, unframed, and stored in the dark. It kinda sucks, but I don't want to risk any further damage, and UV resistant museum glass is NOT sufficient. It is what it is.

Stinks that inks and markers may not be stable for so much of the art we love.

On 8/9/2021 at 12:10 AM, Robservations247 said:

Not sure about that signature.

On 8/8/2021 at 3:43 PM, AnkurJ said:

Stinks that inks and markers may not be stable for so much of the art we love.

I completely agree with this.  However, as someone who draws quite a bit for my work, lightfastness has never been one of my considerations in selecting pens and other media.  I'm always been focused on the drawing looking the way I want after I'm finished.

Although I may look into it now that you (and @stinkininkin) mention it.  But the idea of giving up my Pilot Razor Points for something else sounds awful.  Man, I love those things.

I'm glad you guys brought this up.  I frankly never considered that some of these could fade so quickly.

On 8/11/2021 at 10:12 AM, glendgold said:

This would be a good place to remind you that if you want to support artists like Watterson or other studs, give a thought to using literally any other website or brick-and-mortar store than amazon, which spends a diabolical amount of time cooking up ways to keep guys like him (and me) from getting paid.  If you don't already know about their shenanigans, it's too much of a thread drift to explain here, but the short version is if you click on "buy" on a book there's literally no way to know if a royalty will actually go to the artist or if it's going into Bezos's stubby little Blue Origin tailpipe.  Much better idea is to buy from your local independent bookseller (whose presences online and in person are laid (lain?) out right here: https://www.indiebound.org/ or your local comics shop: https://www.comicshoplocator.com/

I'd add that Bookshop.org is a reasonable place to shop; they were setup up to fight Amazon and directly support  independent book shops with cash why you buy from them. Forbes has a good article about them here.

Note: I have no idea if the author's get paid.

On 8/13/2021 at 7:39 AM, alxjhnsn said:

I'd add that Bookshop.org is a reasonable place to shop; they were setup up to fight Amazon and directly support  independent book shops with cash why you buy from them. Forbes has a good article about them here.

Note: I have no idea if the author's get paid.

Yes! This is a great resource - thanks for linking to it. Authors do get paid, too. 

with so little material available there's a feeding frenzy over any little morsel. In the current Heritage weekly auction there is a typed signed letter from Watterson on C&H letterhead and it's bid up to $3700 already, any guesses on what it will close for?

This is in Heritage’s next big auction. I’ve looked at it many times, and much as I love the gag, the browning overpowers me. Still, it remains on the radar . . .

it’s currently at $23k with 18 days left, and it’ll probably hit $50k. It pains me to think about, years ago, passing on a Sunday strip thinking $20k was too much

E9A0A083-A1A8-4FB9-80BB-88AF39594A40.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 8/20/2021 at 7:09 AM, diva_tsarina said:

with so little material available there's a feeding frenzy over any little morsel. In the current Heritage weekly auction there is a typed signed letter from Watterson on C&H letterhead and it's bid up to $3700 already, any guesses on what it will close for?

it’s an interesting piece. He blew off that other artist, nicely, who wanted to swap art. Classic Watterson. The artistic equivalent of J.D. Salinger.

Just a guess, but I’ll say $7500

On 8/21/2021 at 4:24 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

This is in Heritage’s next big auction. I’ve looked at it many times, and much as I love the gag, the browning overpowers me. Still, it remains on the radar . . .

it’s currently at $23k with 18 days left, and it’ll probably hit $50k. It pains me to think about, years ago, passing on a Sunday strip thinking $20k was too much

E9A0A083-A1A8-4FB9-80BB-88AF39594A40.jpeg

You can have it conserved and whitened for well under $1,000 so you can still buy it!

On 8/21/2021 at 10:24 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

it’s an interesting piece. He blew off that other artist, nicely, who wanted to swap art. Classic Watterson. The artistic equivalent of J.D. Salinger.

Just a guess, but I’ll say $7500

Darn it. Got busy and missed the end of this one . . . 

4202EEE6-D61B-4C3F-8BDC-0E3B9E0113EE.jpeg

On 8/26/2021 at 7:04 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Darn it. Got busy and missed the end of this one . . . 

4202EEE6-D61B-4C3F-8BDC-0E3B9E0113EE.jpeg

Basically an autograph, not sure you really missed anything critical for an original art collector.  Apply your savings to your next endeavour!  Best, David

On 8/26/2021 at 7:50 AM, aokartman said:

Basically an autograph, not sure you really missed anything critical for an original art collector.  Apply your savings to your next endeavour!  Best, David

I don’t disagree, but I find this conversation he’s having with the Disney artist fascinating