• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Donnelly Brothers / CoolLines Art FAQ
6 6

76 posts in this topic

I decided to experience this myself so I inquired about multiple Gene Colan pages.  They emailed me back and listed the prices on all the Gene Colan pages.  I found a few pages that interested me and when I compared their prices, they were $100 to $300 less than other OA sellers selling "comparable" pages (talking $1k-2k pages). 

I'm finding myself drawn to possibly buying a page from them, but these comments/stories are hard to ignore.  Is it safe to assume that all pages they sell have been "altered" in some way...i know that is a huge generalization.

Meanwhile, I have since asked about the specific condition(s) of the pages...we shall see

Thanks for putting this all together btw!

On 9/8/2022 at 8:43 PM, brownies8701 said:

I decided to experience this myself so I inquired about multiple Gene Colan pages.  They emailed me back and listed the prices on all the Gene Colan pages.  I found a few pages that interested me and when I compared their prices, they were $100 to $300 less than other OA sellers selling "comparable" pages (talking $1k-2k pages). 

I'm finding myself drawn to possibly buying a page from them, but these comments/stories are hard to ignore.  Is it safe to assume that all pages they sell have been "altered" in some way...i know that is a huge generalization.

Meanwhile, I have since asked about the specific condition(s) of the pages...we shall see

Off the top-of-my-head, they tend to alter covers, unpublished or illustrations of cover-like appearance . . . trying to make them into something they're (usually) not..

If what you're looking to buy is published panel pages, you should be okay.  Just compare the art against the printed page, which should tell you everything you need to know.

On 9/8/2022 at 3:43 PM, brownies8701 said:

Now that they have read your post they will boost the asking price. No joking.

On 9/8/2022 at 5:26 PM, MAR1979 said:

Now that they have read your post they will boost the asking price. No joking.

Not necessarily. At the Comic Art show, I saw some panel pages that were reasonably priced. Admittedly, not high demand pieces, but duly noted.

On 9/8/2022 at 5:07 PM, The Voord said:

Off the top-of-my-head, they tend to alter covers, unpublished or illustrations of cover-like appearance . . . trying to make them into something they're (usually) not..

If what you're looking to buy is published panel pages, you should be okay.  Just compare the art against the printed page, which should tell you everything you need to know.

That is really helpful, thank you!

I bought some surfer panel pages from them last year and it was all smooth. Good communication, good prices and fast shipping.  
I’m still relatively new to art buying but I actually had a page I had bought 10 + years earlier and never even opened (had zero recollection of details but was first impulse page buy long before I collected art)

Their name was on the return label and over all I was very satisfied 

On 9/8/2022 at 7:12 PM, G.A.tor said:

I bought some surfer panel pages from them last year and it was all smooth. Good communication, good prices and fast shipping.  
I’m still relatively new to art buying but I actually had a page I had bought 10 + years earlier and never even opened (had zero recollection of details but was first impulse page buy long before I collected art)

Their name was on the return label and over all I was very satisfied 

Next time you talk to Adam, ask him about his experiences. 

On 9/8/2022 at 3:43 PM, brownies8701 said:

Is it safe to assume that all pages they sell have been "altered" in some way...i know that is a huge generalization.

Altering panel pages isn’t cheap so it’s unlikely that they will make changes except to covers or things that they think can be made into “preliminary/unused” covers. 

Hmm, this sounds familiar.

Dealers accused of tricks that turn ordinary desks into £1m antiques

Yannick Chastang, former furniture conservator of the Wallace Collection, which boasts one of the world’s finest furniture holdings, can no longer turn a blind eye to what some dealers and restorers are doing.

He told the Observer: “I’m being quite generous in saying ‘over-restored’. I would say ‘manufactured’, if I was a bit more blunt.”

He recalled a 19th-century desk that was auctioned for around £2,500, only to surface six months later as an 18th-century desk with a price tag exceeding a million pounds.

He was shocked to discover that a leading antiques dealer had turned it into an object supposedly created by one of France’s most-prized cabinetmakers, André-Charles Boulle, revered by Louis XIV of France as “the most skilled craftsman in his profession”: “I’ve got the photos before and after.

“Very cleverly, they had added bronze and marquetry to make it look more convincing and more desirable. The original did not have those details. That is, unfortunately, a common practice.

“The catalogue entry was how the bronze compared well with objects in the Hermitage in Saint Petersburg, and the Wallace Collection. Of course it compared well, because the restorer copied them.”

1058.jpg?width=620&quality=45&dpr=2&s=no