Donnelly Brothers / CoolLines Art FAQ
6 6

73 posts in this topic

I decided to experience this myself so I inquired about multiple Gene Colan pages.  They emailed me back and listed the prices on all the Gene Colan pages.  I found a few pages that interested me and when I compared their prices, they were $100 to $300 less than other OA sellers selling "comparable" pages (talking $1k-2k pages). 

I'm finding myself drawn to possibly buying a page from them, but these comments/stories are hard to ignore.  Is it safe to assume that all pages they sell have been "altered" in some way...i know that is a huge generalization.

Meanwhile, I have since asked about the specific condition(s) of the pages...we shall see

Thanks for putting this all together btw!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2022 at 8:43 PM, brownies8701 said:

I decided to experience this myself so I inquired about multiple Gene Colan pages.  They emailed me back and listed the prices on all the Gene Colan pages.  I found a few pages that interested me and when I compared their prices, they were $100 to $300 less than other OA sellers selling "comparable" pages (talking $1k-2k pages). 

I'm finding myself drawn to possibly buying a page from them, but these comments/stories are hard to ignore.  Is it safe to assume that all pages they sell have been "altered" in some way...i know that is a huge generalization.

Meanwhile, I have since asked about the specific condition(s) of the pages...we shall see

Thanks for putting this all together btw!

Off the top-of-my-head, they tend to alter covers, unpublished or illustrations of cover-like appearance . . . trying to make them into something they're (usually) not..

If what you're looking to buy is published panel pages, you should be okay.  Just compare the art against the printed page, which should tell you everything you need to know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2022 at 3:43 PM, brownies8701 said:

I decided to experience this myself so I inquired about multiple Gene Colan pages.  They emailed me back and listed the prices on all the Gene Colan pages.  I found a few pages that interested me and when I compared their prices, they were $100 to $300 less than other OA sellers selling "comparable" pages (talking $1k-2k pages). 

I'm finding myself drawn to possibly buying a page from them, but these comments/stories are hard to ignore.  Is it safe to assume that all pages they sell have been "altered" in some way...i know that is a huge generalization.

Meanwhile, I have since asked about the specific condition(s) of the pages...we shall see

Thanks for putting this all together btw!

Now that they have read your post they will boost the asking price. No joking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2022 at 5:26 PM, MAR1979 said:

Now that they have read your post they will boost the asking price. No joking.

Not necessarily. At the Comic Art show, I saw some panel pages that were reasonably priced. Admittedly, not high demand pieces, but duly noted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2022 at 5:07 PM, The Voord said:

Off the top-of-my-head, they tend to alter covers, unpublished or illustrations of cover-like appearance . . . trying to make them into something they're (usually) not..

If what you're looking to buy is published panel pages, you should be okay.  Just compare the art against the printed page, which should tell you everything you need to know.

That is really helpful, thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought some surfer panel pages from them last year and it was all smooth. Good communication, good prices and fast shipping.  
I’m still relatively new to art buying but I actually had a page I had bought 10 + years earlier and never even opened (had zero recollection of details but was first impulse page buy long before I collected art)

Their name was on the return label and over all I was very satisfied 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2022 at 7:12 PM, G.A.tor said:

I bought some surfer panel pages from them last year and it was all smooth. Good communication, good prices and fast shipping.  
I’m still relatively new to art buying but I actually had a page I had bought 10 + years earlier and never even opened (had zero recollection of details but was first impulse page buy long before I collected art)

Their name was on the return label and over all I was very satisfied 

Next time you talk to Adam, ask him about his experiences. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2022 at 3:43 PM, brownies8701 said:

Is it safe to assume that all pages they sell have been "altered" in some way...i know that is a huge generalization.

Altering panel pages isn’t cheap so it’s unlikely that they will make changes except to covers or things that they think can be made into “preliminary/unused” covers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
6 6