• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any love for the old Nintendo Power Magazines?
1 1

90 posts in this topic

They did print around 3 million; no they aren't rare.   But I guarantee you attrition rates were many times what attrition rates on comics were.   By that point comics were something you saved in a bag and board because 'they might be valuable one day.'     Nintendo Power 1 was like the newspaper or something.    You read it and threw it out.    Maybe if you were particularly enthusiastic you kept your vg copy around.

The issue is NM or even 9.0 copies.    Not easy.    These were read by kids, an odd size, and a publication never foreseen as having any potential value.

Edited by Bronty

Here's my copy of NP #1! Not the best condition, but I picked this guy up way back in 2010 and it has everything included. I've got a copy of #2 coming in the mail right now. That's a tough one to find in good shape because the dark cover really shows all the wear. No plan to collect em all, but I agree with @Bronty that a lot of these early issues in great condition will only be harder to find as time goes on.

IMG_2629.thumb.jpg.149f5a1c412995ab46bcc24a2b2c978f.jpgIMG_2632.thumb.jpg.2e37be0457641f597871f1b0aa09d82a.jpg

On 12/20/2020 at 4:08 PM, Bronty said:

They did print around 3 million; no they aren't rare.   But I guarantee you attrition rates were many times what attrition rates on comics were.   By that point comics were something you saved in a bag and board because 'they might be valuable one day.'     Nintendo Power 1 was like the newspaper or something.    You read it and threw it out.    Maybe if you were particularly enthusiastic you kept your vg copy around.

The issue is NM or even 9.0 copies.    Not easy.    These were read by kids, an odd size, and a publication never foreseen as having any potential value.

I certainly threw mine away an it was well read by that point anyways , probably VG

On 12/21/2020 at 8:36 AM, Michael Esposito said:

Here's my copy of NP #1! Not the best condition, but I picked this guy up way back in 2010 and it has everything included. I've got a copy of #2 coming in the mail right now. That's a tough one to find in good shape because the dark cover really shows all the wear. No plan to collect em all, but I agree with @Bronty that a lot of these early issues in great condition will only be harder to find as time goes on.

IMG_2629.thumb.jpg.149f5a1c412995ab46bcc24a2b2c978f.jpgIMG_2632.thumb.jpg.2e37be0457641f597871f1b0aa09d82a.jpg

Gorgeous copy Michael! Thanks for share it.

On 1/9/2021 at 9:26 AM, engelhard said:

Hard to tell if 3k will be considered a bargain down the line. I think in terms of Nintendo Memorabilia these magazines are awesome, but video game collectors are interested in...collecting video games. Don't get me wrong, I expect the value to rise, just not by a significant amount. If the #1 ever gets graded I imagine it alone could fetch 3k+ today if it actually came back 9.4 or better

Edited by Michael Esposito
Misspelled a word

1 hour ago, Michael Esposito said:

Hard to tell if 3k will be considered a bargain down the line. I think in terms of Nintendo Memorabilia these magazines are awesome, but video game collectors are interested in...collecting video games. Don't get me wrong, I expect the value to rise, just not by a significant amount. If the #1 ever gets graded I imagine it alone could fetch 3k+ today if it actually came back 9.4 or better

i was thinking about buying them...my guess was they grade VF/NM or better

slab 4 of them for sure and auction them off one at a time

#1 #2 #4 and #6 would most likely put you over 3k.. but only if you sell now

like you said.. its hard to tell if 3k is a bargain down the line but im thinking its not

On 1/15/2021 at 11:56 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

A Nintendo Power #1 CGC 9.0 sold for $4200 today on ebay.  That's a nice chunk of change.

What a scoop! That makes it sound like the guy who won this lot of 6 sealed issues got an absolute steal if they grade well.

One thing that's strange about that lot of the 6-sealed is that it also sold in November using the same images for $500 less. Wonder what happened there...

Going through some of old magazines - I have an Issue 1, probably in very good  condition, still in the envelop it was mailed in along with several other items that were included in the envelope.  Still has the poster and no writing inside, but the cover does have some imperfections. Does anyone know if I send it in to be graded if I can send all the other items in as well as part of the overall collection of items as part of the grading service? The envelope is opened. I think I read a few articles when I got it and put it back in the envelope. I was really into collecting sports cards and magazines & some comics at the time - probably 8th grade at the time. 

F19B4874-1669-4C2B-872C-4E5932F04EB7.jpeg

Going through some of old magazines - I have an Issue 1 probably in very good condition, still in the envelop it was mailed in along with several other items that were included in the envelope.  Does anyone know if I send it in to be graded if I can send all the other items in as well as part of the overall collection of items as part of the grading service? The envelope is opened. I think I read a few articles when I got it and put it back in the envelope. I was really into collecting sports cards and magazines & some comics at the time - probably 8th grade at the time. 

27E41C5A-47D6-4293-9E6D-7D2D6BA9DD9F.jpeg

A547E7DC-47DA-4B7D-810E-AAF6EDA3E498.jpeg

Edited by JerryP

On 2/6/2021 at 1:13 PM, JerryP said:

Going through some of old magazines - I have an Issue 1 probably in very good condition, still in the envelop it was mailed in along with several other items that were included in the envelope.  Does anyone know if I send it in to be graded if I can send all the other items in as well as part of the overall collection of items as part of the grading service? The envelope is opened. I think I read a few articles when I got it and put it back in the envelope. I was really into collecting sports cards and magazines & some comics at the time - probably 8th grade at the time. 

27E41C5A-47D6-4293-9E6D-7D2D6BA9DD9F.jpeg

A547E7DC-47DA-4B7D-810E-AAF6EDA3E498.jpeg

Just send the magazine. Keep the rest and offer it to a buyer if and when you go to sell. CGC can’t do anything with the other items.