• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fawcett Books can be so Damn Cheap
6 6

292 posts in this topic

On 11/29/2021 at 4:19 PM, Jayman said:

I’m pretty sure you were the one who brought them to my attention! (thumbsu

I did gush about them I guess. One of the best collections I ever had pretty much free rein with.

My local buddy Jim Malley got the majority of the Fawcetts. 

Edited by Robot Man

Maybe some Fawcett comics aren’t so damn cheap anymore. Anybody else track the CM Advs #128 CGC 6.0 that closed on the bay?

Don’t think it was quite accurate when you look at the bidding history. Was at around $800 until it was obviously shilled to $5100.

So maybe $800. WAS cheap for that one…

On 12/21/2021 at 8:15 PM, Robot Man said:

Maybe some Fawcett comics aren’t so damn cheap anymore. Anybody else track the CM Advs #128 CGC 6.0 that closed on the bay?

Don’t think it was quite accurate when you look at the bidding history. Was at around $800 until it was obviously shilled to $5100.

So maybe $800. WAS cheap for that one…

I did. I was ready to go until 1000 (this is the second highest graded copy known to exist) but when I saw the 5100 I just noped.

Still, I just bought Master Comics 95 on the bay for 40$ yesterday, so those comics can still be quite cheap.

On 12/21/2021 at 5:21 PM, William-James88 said:

I did. I was ready to go until 1000 (this is the second highest graded copy known to exist) but when I saw the 5100 I just noped.

Still, I just bought Master Comics 95 on the bay for 40$ yesterday, so those comics can still be quite cheap.

I suspect that other than the keys, classic covers, war issues and Mac Raboy covers, the later more common Fawcetts still aren’t in very high demand thus more affordable.

Oh man, I was worried for a sec (no I wasn't, this is just a bit) when I saw that this one Fawcett I wanted was selling much higher than guide. It still wasnt crazy expensive, but still more than 3 times what I wanted to pay. Here is what a 4.5 Master Comics 95 sold for in 2020. Compare it with the guide price of $50

image.thumb.png.fcfb93c800dc3eaf25d01ae21fc1541c.png

Well, I recently found this one on e-bay, similar grade range for guide price. It was just sitting there.

image.thumb.png.14fc694c0372e47b35e7a7b7597be386.png

And I grabbed it :D

Now I am in no way bragging I got a deal, I don't think I did. The fact that it was readily available for anyone in the world to grab (thanks to the low shipping) means that the cheap price was more than what some people were willing to pay to include this GA book in their collection, and no one cared to attempt to flip it. While a book can go high on an auction, that same book could also be found for pretty damn cheap.

On 1/10/2022 at 9:54 PM, William-James88 said:

Oh man, I was worried for a sec (no I wasn't, this is just a bit) when I saw that this one Fawcett I wanted was selling much higher than guide. It still wasnt crazy expensive, but still more than 3 times what I wanted to pay. Here is what a 4.5 Master Comics 95 sold for in 2020. Compare it with the guide price of $50

image.thumb.png.fcfb93c800dc3eaf25d01ae21fc1541c.png

Well, I recently found this one on e-bay, similar grade range for guide price. It was just sitting there.

image.thumb.png.14fc694c0372e47b35e7a7b7597be386.png

And I grabbed it :D

Now I am in no way bragging I got a deal, I don't think I did. The fact that it was readily available for anyone in the world to grab (thanks to the low shipping) means that the cheap price was more than what some people were willing to pay to include this GA book in their collection, and no one cared to attempt to flip it. While a book can go high on an auction, that same book could also be found for pretty damn cheap.

I have bought several books from this dealer over the years. He still tends to price “at guide”. Nothing rare or super high demand but cool books I like. 

On 11/30/2021 at 11:14 AM, William-James88 said:

I notice that there are a lot of very nice 51s out there. All other issues have much less slabbed copies out there and few high grades. But 51 are not at all rare in comparison.

I know that there are lots of CMA #50 out there in really nice shape. I think there was a warehouse find or something. So maybe CMA #51 is the same story. I picked up a #50 back at an LA show in the nineties for $50 and it is in wonderful shape. I seem to recall someone mentioning the find or reading about it.

On 1/13/2022 at 11:12 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I know that there are lots of CMA #50 out there in really nice shape. I think there was a warehouse find or something. So maybe CMA #51 is the same story. I picked up a #50 back at an LA show in the nineties for $50 and it is in wonderful shape. I seem to recall someone mentioning the find or reading about it.

Yes on both issues.