• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fawcett Books can be so Damn Cheap
6 6

284 posts in this topic

On 3/14/2020 at 9:27 PM, William-James88 said:

I was just wondering, is your opinion of the Overstreet being undervalued only in reference to Master Comics 27 or these comics in general? 

Also, why is Master Comics 27 so sought after compared to the others?

Well, need we say anymore other than that we really need to see one of these in high grade condition come to market:  :luhv:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F7%2F5%2F1%2F2751784%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Especially considering the fact that after all of these long years of certification, this appears to still be the the highest graded copy that has come into the marketplace, and this copy here was from all the way back in 2003.  

Like @LearnedHand had stated in his post below, I believe his analysis is bang-on as to why there have been so few copies of these early Masters with the much in demand Raboy covers graded and brought to market, as this Master Comics 27 has only 14 Universal copies slabbed to date and only 3 copies graded in CGC 7.5 or above, with the last one being way back in 2005:  (thumbsu

On 3/14/2020 at 12:38 PM, LearnedHand said:

But, with respect to (especially) Raboy Masters, I think there is also a vicious circle keeping these books undervalued.  On the one hand, the books are widely revered and extremely sought after.  But so many of these are so rare in the marketplace, esp. in grade.  You don't just go to GPA and see 10 sales of Master 27 in say 7.0, 8.0, 9.0, etc. to have an idea of FMV.  As such, the lack of an established market creates reticence to sell, especially at the Overstreet (way under-valued) pricing; and many collectors who are looking for these books (but who aren't completely in-the-know on just how rare these books are in the marketplace in grade) fear they could be over-paying (by paying over Overstreet) because there isn't a lot of actual sales data out there.        

To add further support to this analysis, another hugely popular but also HTF early Master is Master 33 with the iconic swatiska smashing cover which has only a total of 17 Universal copies graded to date, with only a single copy graded aove CGC 7.5, with this being a CGC 9.6 copy graded and slabbed all the way back in 2000/01 when CGC first opened their doors.  :whatthe:  :takeit:

My personal belief is that should a high grade copy of either of these 2 early Raboy classic cover Master books were to hit the open marketpace, they would have no problem fetching 5-figures even though the Fawcett market is generally considered to be so damn cheap.  (thumbsu  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Some really great long overlooked Cap Jr. And Master covers by Schaffenberger and Thompson. The Promise collection copies of many of these made me take a second look at them and many a gem in the bunch beyond just the 'Eyeball Monster' cover. 

On 7/3/2022 at 9:33 PM, Robot Man said:

A VERY cheap pickup today. Like I told the guy, “how many people buy Don Winslows?”…:roflmao:

2AFEF858-AD97-4A37-AF0F-9F2FA82B8C2E.jpeg

There are really some great covers on some of the Don Winslows.  That is a good one, Bob.

Edited by telerites

I feel like L.B. Cole covers have been picking up more and more steam for a while now. Despite very different artistry when comparing the two, or at least the different genre's involved, more crime/horror (L.B. Cole) to superhero (Raboy), where does Raboy compare on the list of all time greats? I know L.B. Cole is high up there. Is Raboy above Cole in the upper echelon of artist appreciation, or still below, maybe just slightly?

On 7/5/2022 at 11:01 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Is Raboy above Cole in the upper echelon of artist appreciation, or still below, maybe just slightly?

Not sure about artist appreciation since that is really more of an individual subjective opinion, but FWIW, if you are talking about financial appreciation, it's clearly L.B. Cole miles ahead of Raboy based upon the prices which we are seeing in the comic book marketplace.  (thumbsu

On 7/5/2022 at 4:07 PM, telerites said:

I have a copy of 44 for my spider-web collection.

0104200713051.jpg

I have a few more.  One that I have a scan handy - it is in the guys across the street slab so I cropped it

winslow.jpg.7ac277cb204be9436541117f919b7168.jpg

And a couple of pressbooks

937175026_DONWINSLOWOFTHECOASTGUARD-FilmcraftRe-Release-PressBook2.thumb.jpg.34019077520a75df2a47aedc0d4b230a.jpg346981326_DONWINSLOWOFTHECOASTGUARD-FilmcraftRe-Release-PressBook.thumb.jpg.548a8091ba4243c60d34c6286096f1f3.jpg

You people...now I've wasted 2 hours watching the Don Winslow of the Navy serial on youtube...and I'm only on episode 7...:pullhair:

On 7/5/2022 at 4:07 PM, telerites said:

I have a copy of 44 for my spider-web collection.

0104200713051.jpg

I have a few more.  One that I have a scan handy - it is in the guys across the street slab so I cropped it

winslow.jpg.7ac277cb204be9436541117f919b7168.jpg

And a couple of pressbooks

937175026_DONWINSLOWOFTHECOASTGUARD-FilmcraftRe-Release-PressBook2.thumb.jpg.34019077520a75df2a47aedc0d4b230a.jpg346981326_DONWINSLOWOFTHECOASTGUARD-FilmcraftRe-Release-PressBook.thumb.jpg.548a8091ba4243c60d34c6286096f1f3.jpg

cool. Now I need to find a nice copy of #42...:pullhair:

On 7/6/2022 at 11:36 AM, Robot Man said:

cool. Now I need to find a nice copy of #42...:pullhair:

I always thought the covers to 29 and 30 were cool.  I really haven't looked for them but it really is a good title and I think fairly attainable if someone wanted to complete the run.

I think I have a few BLBs around too.  

On 7/4/2022 at 10:08 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, need we say anymore other than that we really need to see one of these in high grade condition come to market:  :luhv:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F7%2F5%2F1%2F2751784%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Especially considering the fact that after all of these long years of certification, this appears to still be the the highest graded copy that has come into the marketplace, and this copy here was from all the way back in 2003.  

Like @LearnedHand had stated in his post below, I believe his analysis is bang-on as to why there have been so few copies of these early Masters with the much in demand Raboy covers graded and brought to market, as this Master Comics 27 has only 14 Universal copies slabbed to date and only 3 copies graded in CGC 7.5 or above, with the last one being way back in 2005:  (thumbsu

To add further support to this analysis, another hugely popular but also HTF early Master is Master 33 with the iconic swatiska smashing cover which has only a total of 17 Universal copies graded to date, with only a single copy graded aove CGC 7.5, with this being a CGC 9.6 copy graded and slabbed all the way back in 2000/01 when CGC first opened their doors.  :whatthe:  :takeit:

My personal belief is that should a high grade copy of either of these 2 early Raboy classic cover Master books were to hit the open marketpace, they would have no problem fetching 5-figures even though the Fawcett market is generally considered to be so damn cheap.  (thumbsu  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

No reason for anyone to be interested but I can tell you that the copy of Master Comics 33 mentioned above was sent to CGC for grading back in late summer 2000.