• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fawcett Books can be so Damn Cheap
6 6

292 posts in this topic

On 2/27/2020 at 4:36 PM, William-James88 said:

Granted, not complaining, just curious. A total change in my collection habits changed this past year. While I always liked Captain Marvel (more than Supes), my favourite was Batman (I am very original that way). And 10 years ago I bought what I could afford with GA books, which accounted for a mere handful of nice issues from Batman and Detective. They were expensive then, and they only grew since. What I find nuts was seeing the left over prices behind the boards they came in, which showed prices they sold at in another era. Seeing a handwritten scribble marking $100 on the back of a book I bought for $400 shows me a window to a cheaper time for Golden age. But then I discovered Fawcett. 

What was interesting though was the price. They too were as cheap as other superhero golden age books back in the day (20-30 years ago), but unlike others, they didn't increase in the price. Either in prices sold on auction or in the price guide. Some even went down in the span of 15-20 years. Here's an example, below is a Whiz Comics 88 in 9.0, CGC. There are none graded higher than that. And it sells for around $150 USD. That means grading it professionally cost a third of it's worth on the market. And that's also consistently selling below the guide price which is just a bit over $200  (which in itself is quite cheap). So a slabbed book with the highest grade selling 25% less than guide, consistently. That's just one example. I just purchased a pedigree copy of Marvel Family 3, in those nice new golden CGC slabs for lower than guide as well. I see no indication that these books are less rare than other golden age superhero comics (you don't find that many Bulletman comics out there, for instance) and yet, you can get decent looking Fawcett comics for as low as $50 a piece, in auction. So my question is, why are all these comics still so damn low? (Also, if you do have any Bulletman for these low low prices, let me know ;) )

Ditto for Quality.  Long live Plastic Man!

I listed three right here on the boards a couple of months back at what I thought was quite reasonable prices with zero interest.

• Captain Marvel Adventures #37 CGC 7.5 Golden Age War Bonds Cover
  • Captain Marvel Adventures #47 CGC 7.0 Shazam Cover
  • Captain Marvel Adventures #42 CGC 7.5 Classic X-mas cover

1568319877_giphy(12).gif.8b5bd17b836034b3d17d0c59d0bb0e36.gif

18 minutes ago, path4play said:

I listed three right here on the boards a couple of months back at what I thought was quite reasonable prices with zero interest.

The 47 would interest me (couldn't find it in the marketplace forum, though I have to admit searching for "Captain Marvel" is a nightmare). You can send me a message with the link. What I am looking for more though are the other fawcett books, like Jr, Wow, Master, Bulletman, Marvel Family. And I would preffer them raw since I realized the non keys slabbed doesn't add any value at resale and you can't read them. You just don't find those online. I have no clue what abundance people speak of, unless they are just thinking of Captain Marvel adventures which is rather easy to get for some issues (and others are damn near impossible to find since no one bothers selling them).

1 hour ago, mlansdown said:

I just added this book to my collection.  When I see a nice Fawcett cover in higher grade, I'm always interested in buying.  The lower prices don't hurt my feelings either...

Captain Marvel 14 CGC 8.5.jpg

I do the same, here is my latest purchase:

image.png.7ae3a6778b7b6d17549978219d5437e6.png

At 27% off guide price, I took it.

Oh and here's another gorgeous Raboy cover I got for a little less than $90. I am so happy I can come into this hobby years later and still be able to get these gorgeous books for decent prices.

captain marvel jr 22 01.jpg

2 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Shhhh...  don’t draw attention to them... just get while the gettin’s good...  :insane:

Dammit, I knew I should have kept my mouth shut!

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

I am not a huge collector of Fawcett's but there are several I am quietly searching for.  Here is one I snagged for slightly more that $100 several years back.

I just love this cover!  

Personally I think there are a ton of awesome covers throughout the various titles like Nickel, etc.

captain_midnight_43.jpg

Congrats on the awesome purchase, it's a great looking comic.

20 hours ago, adamstrange said:

I highly recommend Roger Hill's book on Mac, which includes among its many wonders a list of his cover credits.

https://www.amazon.com/Mac-Raboy-Master-Roger-Hill/dp/1605490903/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=mac+raboy&qid=1582913518&sr=8-2

love my hill book!  but that cover listing isn't completely accurate, imo.

54 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

cover listing isn't completely accurate, imo.

:popcorn:

14 hours ago, path4play said:

Zero interest and no money down might sell a used car, but it just ends up being back stock for a comic dealer.  :cry:

12 hours ago, N e r V said:

But the good ones are really good and not so easy (or cheap) to find...

9830DFDD-E901-41FE-9B63-D6CB3CCFE2AF.thumb.jpeg.c28b4d1fe94e8eb792546b915aa7043b.jpeg

I predict all Mary Marvel titles will become hot as she was the prototype for Marvel Comics MMMS (Merry Marvel Marching Society) as soon as Overstreet and CGC start putting that out there for the flippers, eh, fans of comics... :nyah:

...or a surge in interest for Jack Binder’s covers.  (thumbsu

2 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

gl8.jpeg

Raboy on the main figures with another hand on the background critters. (shrug)

22 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Zero interest and no money down might sell a used car, but it just ends up being back stock for a comic dealer.  :cry:

...or a surge in interest for Jack Binder’s covers.  (thumbsu

15 hours ago, path4play said:

You need the right book (or cover) for sure with Fawcett’s. Any of the above I posted would sell fairly easily. I have dupes on most of those and see they usually move pretty quickly since I’d have a lot more if people weren’t grabbing them ahead of me.

Captain Marvel #37,42,47 aren’t real exciting covers with or without good prices. If it was #18,128,150 I’m pretty sure they’d sell fairly easy. Fawcett’s as a whole might be weak but there are still some gems that are worth owning and that move if you know what to look for. I’ve actually got a number on the cheap not because they wouldn’t have sold for more but some dealers don’t know that probably because of the attitude expressed by this threads theme. 

But yes, I would expect them as a whole to remain in the comic collecting closet for the most part...

11 minutes ago, N e r V said:

You need the right book (or cover) for sure with Fawcett’s. Any of the above I posted would sell fairly easily. I have dupes on most of those and see they usually move pretty quickly since I’d have a lot more if people weren’t grabbing them ahead of me.

Captain Marvel #37,42,47 aren’t real exciting covers with or without good prices. If it was #18,128,150 I’m pretty sure they’d sell fairly easy. Fawcett’s as a whole might be weak but there are still some gems that are worth owning and that move if you know what to look for. I’ve actually got a number on the cheap not because they wouldn’t have sold for more but some dealers don’t know that probably because of the attitude expressed by this threads theme. 

But yes, I would expect them as a whole to remain in the comic collecting closet for the most part...

Not trying to be snarky, but based on my own experience “right book or cover” applies to most GA comics irrespective of publisher.

In the “slab Age” cover art and overall presentation or grade opinion is the big seller.  It drives most pricing. There may be exceptions, but those are rare in more ways than one.

My thoughts on closeted books are that those of modest value with little market fluctuation are best kept raw, boarded and bagged.

41 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Not trying to be snarky, but based on my own experience “right book or cover” applies to most GA comics irrespective of publisher.

In the “slab Age” cover art and overall presentation or grade opinion is the big seller.  It drives most pricing. There may be exceptions, but those are rare in more ways than one.

My thoughts on closeted books are that those of modest value with little market fluctuation are best kept raw, boarded and bagged.

I just meant that it exists with Fawcett’s too but on a much smaller scale than Marvel or DC due to their standings in the market. It just seems some dealers lose sight of that fact so they can go cheaper than they should at times. I’d have a harder time finding a “deal” on a GA Timely or DC than a Fawcett due to its “lower” profile in the market.

Example, a raw copy of Captain Marvel #128 in VG/FN was sold by a LCS for $55.00 this past year. I won’t name the dealer but he deals in GA books. He was totally unaware that that issue was special in its pricing vs others in the run. It happens. I’ve been on the receiving end of a number of “bargains” on Fawcett’s.

Not that it matters to anyone but CAPTAIN MARVEL ADVENTURES #47 has always been one of

my favorite comics with #37 being an equally favorite one.

IMG  SHAZAM (200 dpi).jpg

IMG   CAPTAIN MARVEL ADVENTURES #37  (200 dpi).jpg

Edited by Marty Mann