• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fawcett Books can be so Damn Cheap
6 6

292 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I also concur with the fact that Mary Marvel doesn't get enough love.

Here are a few of my favorites in my collection.

commarymarvel8.JPG

commarymarvel14.jpg

commarymarvel21.jpg

comwow14.JPG

616FE65B-5A4E-4F8A-9EB6-0DCA150FC044.jpeg.788dc25b4b8851d2b7180705194d614e.jpeg

27CD6F48-96A7-4073-B21A-2B79D4E5BC45.jpeg.7800cc2788ac60e1796b971c8ebbf7a6.jpeg

Do the “dark” version on the big screen then watch those back issues fly up,up,up and away...:x

22 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Where are you guys seeing all these wow comics, mary marvel comics, bulletman comics and captain marvel jr comics?

Mainly ebay.

There was such a tremendous quantity of Fawcett comics in my search results, I ended up filtering that word out.

Despite that, I still find myself scrolling past scores and scores of CMA, Whiz, MM, CMJ, MF,  Master, Wow, etc. etc.

It gives me the impression that there are many out there and available.

2 hours ago, circumstances said:

Mainly ebay.

There was such a tremendous quantity of Fawcett comics in my search results, I ended up filtering that word out.

Despite that, I still find myself scrolling past scores and scores of CMA, Whiz, MM, CMJ, MF,  Master, Wow, etc. etc.

They turn up frequently for sale on these boards. In fact, there are some available right now. I always would rather buy from a fellow board member instead of some corporate money grabbers. 

11 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

They turn up frequently for sale on these boards. In fact, there are some available right now. I always would rather buy from a fellow board member instead of some corporate money grabbers. 

If i can get the same prices here as I can on a place like Heritage, then yeah I would much rather buy from a fellow board member. I looked but couldn't find easily aside from the same keys. I am new here so if possible, could you message me with some tips as to how to search the marketplace forum and some links to what you found?

11 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

If i can get the same prices here as I can on a place like Heritage, then yeah I would much rather buy from a fellow board member. I looked but couldn't find easily aside from the same keys. I am new here so if possible, could you message me with some tips as to how to search the marketplace forum and some links to what you found?

Collecting GA books take a little time and effort. You often have to sift through some stuff you don't want to find stuff you do. Check the board sales once a day. You will find a fair amount of Fawcetts. Are they what you want? Are they the price you want to pay? Not always but unlike HA and the big auction houses, board members are friendly folks and will often work with you on price. They might even pull out stuff you might be interested in that isn't posted. Post a lot of stuff and participate a lot. Folks will soon realize you are "that Fawcett guy" and even come to you.

I don't feel like wading through the sales threads much today. But I did find this one. Maybe not for you but it's a start.

7 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Thanks robot man!

We were speaking of nice looking covers, here's one featuring Mary I adore.

450?cb=20110719101707

Last Mary Marvel in title. Nice cover to end her run and not to hard to find...

On 2/27/2020 at 9:23 PM, William-James88 said:

I don't know man, for golden age books that are supposed to be "hot", they still seem ridiculously cheap.

I just bought a slabbed Captain Marvel Jr 28.

On 2/27/2020 at 1:36 PM, William-James88 said:

Here's an example, below is a Whiz Comics 88 in 9.0, CGC. There are none graded higher than that. And it sells for around $150 USD

Like any of the other comic collecting time periods, the "hot" GA books are usually reserved for the keys and classic covers in the current marketplace. (thumbsu

Unfortunately, books such as CMJ 28 and Whiz 88 are seen much more as mid-run books, as opposed to either being a key of any kind or a classic cover in any sense of the word.  On the other hand, if you have a book like Master Comics 27 being a perfect example here:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Master Comics #27 (Fawcett Publications, 1942) Condition: GD/VG....

Looks like this raw G/VG graded copy with the classic Raboy cover sold on Heritage earlier this month for something like $960 or at almost 4X condition guide.  :luhv: 

10 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Like any of the other comic collecting time periods, the "hot" GA books are usually reserved for the keys and classic covers in the current marketplace. (thumbsu

Unfortunately, books such as CMJ 28 and Whiz 88 are seen much more as mid-run books, as opposed to either being a key of any kind or a classic cover in any sense of the word.  

I was replying to the post where soneone said Raboy covers were hot. And we are both concluding that it's not a general truth. Only some Raboy covers are hot.

Speaking of Raboy covers, how is CMJ 15 not iconic?! It's one of the most not_in_tune_with_social_norms crazy covers I've ever seen. The realistic artwork just adds to that.

21059490%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

Edited by William-James88

I have always loved this cover with eye-popping colors.  Published in the Fall of '42, so about 3 or 4 months after the Battle of Midway (June '42).  My guess is that the events of Midway inspired CC to draw this cover in July or August of '42.Image result for captain marvel adventures 17

Edited by zosocane

On 2/29/2020 at 4:53 PM, circumstances said:

Mainly ebay.

I see. I don't check ebay much, I pretty much gave up on it a while ago. for multiple reasons. Too may bad transactions over good ones to make it worth my time and it's mostly overpriced. Plus the shipping is killer since I'm outside the US. So since decent prices are few and far between among different sellers, I end up paying a lot of shipping. I found auction houses better for me since they can hold on for a while, it's one centralized seller and I get the items market price (or so I tell myself). And I don't deal with scummy or inattentive e-bay sellers. But I am starting to see more problems with them than I used to.

Anyways, I did go check it out and yeah there is a lot on e-bay. But I see why, sellers don't seem intended on selling them anytime soon. The prices are twice guide in many instances on books nobody cares for at guide. Here's an example, mycomicshop is selling Captain marvel Jr 101 in 1.8 grade for $42.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Captain-Marvel-Jr-101-GD-1-8-1951/362760550880?hash=item547636b9e0:g:QG8AAOSwXCldhVa3

That's over 3 times guide!!!!

I have also seen a listing for the same book selling at 70% of the guide price and still not selling. And that's a reasonable price (which I will take the chance on). So basically, you see a bunch of books that arent popular at prices that make them truly unpopular. Not sure why sellers are doing this, do they just overevaluate GA? Or maybe just waiting for someone to come along that doesnt care about the price. Don't know, but its causing a lot of the problem you are reporting.

I see it on the forums here as well. I'd love to give some fellow boardies my money but when I see a low grade Marvel Family 77 selling for almost 5 times guide while the most recent sale of this comic shows a 5.0 sold on e-bay recently for just 30% above guide (as can be seen below), I feel like waiting for a better deal to show up is a much better idea than making an offer which would look insultingly low to the seller. (while I took a look, I did find your closed thread Robot Man, and those were excellent prices!)

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Marvel-Family-77-1952-5-5-OW-Fawcett-Communist-Threat-Cover-War-Comic/324030740447?hash=item4b71bcb7df:g:lDcAAOSwTZ9eDrCb

These high prices sound very counterintuitive, since like you say, it just makes it look like no one is interested and there is a lot out there.

Edited by William-James88