• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fawcett Books can be so Damn Cheap
6 6

284 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

I see. I don't check ebay much, I pretty much gave up on it a while ago. for multiple reasons. Too may bad transactions over good ones to make it worth my time and it's mostly overpriced. Plus the shipping is killer since I'm outside the US. So since decent prices are few and far between among different sellers, I end up paying a lot of shipping. I found auction houses better for me since they can hold on for a while, it's one centralized seller and I get the items market price (or so I tell myself). And I don't deal with scummy or inattentive e-bay sellers. But I am starting to see more problems with them than I used to.

Anyways, I did go check it out and yeah there is a lot on e-bay. But I see why, sellers don't seem intended on selling them anytime soon. The prices are twice guide in many instances on books nobody cares for at guide. Here's an example, mycomicshop is selling Captain marvel Jr 101 in 1.8 grade for $42.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Captain-Marvel-Jr-101-GD-1-8-1951/362760550880?hash=item547636b9e0:g:QG8AAOSwXCldhVa3

That's over 3 times guide!!!!

I have also seen a listing for the same book selling at 70% of the guide price and still not selling. And that's a reasonable price (which I will take the chance on). So basically, you see a bunch of books that arent popular at prices that make them truly unpopular. Not sure why sellers are doing this, do they just overevaluate GA? Or maybe just waiting for someone to come along that doesnt care about the price. Don't know, but its causing a lot of the problem you are reporting.

I see it on the forums here as well. I'd love to give some fellow boardies my money but when I see a low grade Marvel Family 77 selling for almost 5 times guide while the most recent sale of this comic shows a 5.0 sold on e-bay recently for just 30% above guide (as can be seen below), I feel like waiting for a better deal to show up is a much better idea than making an offer which would look insultingly low to the seller. (while I took a look, I did find your closed thread Robot Man, and those were excellent prices!)

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Marvel-Family-77-1952-5-5-OW-Fawcett-Communist-Threat-Cover-War-Comic/324030740447?hash=item4b71bcb7df:g:lDcAAOSwTZ9eDrCb

These high prices sound very counterintuitive, since like you say, it just makes it look like no one is interested and there is a lot out there.

I filter mycomicshop out of my searches as well. They have way too many books listed for me wade through.

I think their books are slightly less if you go directly to their website and find them there (which might vary if they own it, or it's a consignment, not sure).

If I were actively looking for anything, ebay would be frustrating, as it is I just monitor the site for things of interest that might fall through the cracks.

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

Anyways, I did go check it out and yeah there is a lot on e-bay. But I see why, sellers don't seem intended on selling them anytime soon. The prices are twice guide in many instances on books nobody cares for at guide. Here's an example, mycomicshop is selling Captain marvel Jr 101 in 1.8 grade for $42.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Captain-Marvel-Jr-101-GD-1-8-1951/362760550880?hash=item547636b9e0:g:QG8AAOSwXCldhVa3

That's over 3 times guide!!!!

That's the whole problem with eBay as sellers have pretty much done away with the true auction format which they don't have the balls for anymore.  :facepalm:

As a result, it's pretty much a complete waste of time as sellers simply list books on there with ridiculously high prices hoping to snag some know nothing sucker.  :censored:

1 hour ago, circumstances said:

If I were actively looking for anything, ebay would be frustrating, as it is I just monitor the site for things of interest that might fall through the cracks.

You know what, I've done that too and it's a more pleasant experience that's actually worked. Not with comics mind you, but with original art. Haven't done it in a while though.

On 3/2/2020 at 10:50 PM, circumstances said:

I think their books are slightly less if you go directly to their website and find them there (which might vary if they own it, or it's a consignment, not sure).

^^

I did not think of doing that and it lead me to one hell of a find, two of them actually. I LOVE Raboy. I discovered him while buying lots featuring different fawcett books and his artwork just stood out. I did not know he was hot, but if I took notice instantly, makes sense he's developed a following. I am not a rich man, hence why I collect Fawcet GAs, so I'd rather have a decent looking issue that doesn't break the bank than the best looking copy. So I was glad to find this on their site for just $19 over guide. It was one of my most wanted books, I love that cover.

Item #48142967 Front Cover: Captain Marvel Jr. #18 CBCS 6.0

But that's not the best part. While the Raboy keys available were rather pricey, I found this non key to be the very opposite : https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=50508461

image.thumb.png.7f9b6ae1f2c6e55abba0f3c9c54f1781.png 

I don't know how this happened or why no one jumped on it, but I will gladly take this Raboy goodness for 50% of guide. A VF+ sold for the same price last year and this is basically only 100$ more than I'd pay for this book in mid grade, so going for this was a no brainer.

Image result for gif mr poopy buttholw

But like, I keep asking myself the same question this topic is based on. For the third highest graded copy of a rare GA book featuring the work of a famous artist and a collected title (or at least cover run), why would no one but me jump on it for 50% off guide? 

I got everything else that seemed decently priced:

Captain Marvel Adventures (1941) 98 GD 2.0 1   $27.50
Captain Marvel Adventures (1941) 113 GD+ 2.5 1   $35.50
Captain Marvel Jr. (1942) 18 CBCS 6.0 1   $190.00
Captain Marvel Jr. (1942) 28 VG+ 4.5 1   $65.00
Captain Marvel Jr. (1942) 30 CGC 9.0 1   $266.00
Captain Marvel Jr. (1942) 77 GD 2.0 1   $27.00

Got another CMJ 28 because that price was just too good for me to pass up on and now that I have a raw copy, I can experience the Raboy goodness inside as well.

And Captain Marvel Adventures 113 just has another great cover so glad to have this in my collection now too:

Image result for captain marvel adventures 113

So thanks for all the tips, they bore fruit!

Edited by William-James88

2 hours ago, William-James88 said:

^^

I did not think of doing that and it lead me to one hell of a find, two of them actually. I LOVE Raboy. I discovered him while buying lots featuring different fawcett books and his artwork just stood out. I did not know he was hot, but if I took notice instantly, makes sense he's developed a following. I am not a rich man, hence why I collect Fawcet GAs, so I'd rather have a decent looking issue that doesn't break the bank than the best looking copy. So I was glad to find this on their site for just $19 over guide. It was one of my most wanted books, I love that cover.

Item #48142967 Front Cover: Captain Marvel Jr. #18 CBCS 6.0

But that's not the best part. While the Raboy keys available were rather pricey, I found this non key to be the very opposite : https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=50508461

image.thumb.png.7f9b6ae1f2c6e55abba0f3c9c54f1781.png 

I don't know how this happened or why no one jumped on it, but I will gladly take this Raboy goodness for 50% of guide. A VF+ sold for the same price last year and this is basically only 100$ more than I'd pay for this book in mid grade, so going for this was a no brainer.

Image result for gif mr poopy buttholw

But like, I keep asking myself the same question this topic is based on. For the third highest graded copy of a rare GA book featuring the work of a famous artist and a collected title (or at least cover run), why would no one but me jump on it for 50% off guide? 

I got everything else that seemed decently priced:

Captain Marvel Adventures (1941) 98 GD 2.0 1   $27.50
Captain Marvel Adventures (1941) 113 GD+ 2.5 1   $35.50
Captain Marvel Jr. (1942) 18 CBCS 6.0 1   $190.00
Captain Marvel Jr. (1942) 28 VG+ 4.5 1   $65.00
Captain Marvel Jr. (1942) 30 CGC 9.0 1   $266.00
Captain Marvel Jr. (1942) 77 GD 2.0 1   $27.00

Got another CMJ 28 because that price was just too good for me to pass up on and now that I have a raw copy, I can experience the Raboy goodness inside as well.

And Captain Marvel Adventures 113 just has another great cover so glad to have this in my collection now too:

Image result for captain marvel adventures 113

So thanks for all the tips, they bore fruit!

Quite a score(s) there!

Glad I could assist!

20 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Couple cheap Fawcett's from today...

49621109776_e4b39e8033_c.jpg

49621381792_f64a72644d_c.jpg

31 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Nice, where did you get them? Here's my cheap Fawcett from today. Only $22 from a local dealer.

20200305_221859.jpg

Just make sure none of them drip...💧 

54DC46C3-4280-46E8-9684-5676D652675C.gif.a5709b78cac8be98403bf218e624604b.gif

Edited by N e r V

On 2/29/2020 at 1:41 PM, N e r V said:

Captain Marvel #37,42,47 aren’t real exciting covers with or without good prices. If it was #18,128,150 I’m pretty sure they’d sell fairly easy. Fawcett’s as a whole might be weak but there are still some gems that are worth owning and that move if you know what to look for. I’ve actually got a number on the cheap not because they wouldn’t have sold for more but some dealers don’t know that probably because of the attitude expressed by this threads theme. 

About 150, it is said to be scarce but it seems to be as common as others and doesn't fetch too much. I just won an auction for a 6.0 slabbed for the guide price, didn't seem too hot a book. 

And as for 18, people are charging a lot more than the fair market price, so it ends up being easy to find (on these forums, mycomicshop and on e-bay) if one doesn't mind overpaying.

19 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

About 150, it is said to be scarce but it seems to be as common as others and doesn't fetch too much. I just won an auction for a 6.0 slabbed for the guide price, didn't seem too hot a book. 

And as for 18, people are charging a lot more than the fair market price, so it ends up being easy to find (on these forums, mycomicshop and on e-bay) if one doesn't mind overpaying.

Issue #150 is popular as a last issue in the series. Certainly not to hard to find or expensive. I think a 6.0 with good PQ is around $250.00 these days. It still moves better than other issues in the series. It’s cover isn’t classic but cute. I personally like it. The “hottest” last issues are probably Whiz #153-155 and Marvel Family #89...

18 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Issue #150 is popular as a last issue in the series. Certainly not to hard to find or expensive. I think a 6.0 with good PQ is around $250.00 these days. It still moves better than other issues in the series. It’s cover isn’t classic but cute. I personally like it. The “hottest” last issues are probably Whiz #153-155 and Marvel Family #89...

The price has gone down since. Here's what I got it for a few hours ago.

image.thumb.png.f72d4935f17e11fb7b2b95de9ac3ec64.png

I like the cover too, hence why I got it. Well, that and the price was right ;)

18 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

The price has gone down since. Here's what I got it for a few hours ago.

image.thumb.png.f72d4935f17e11fb7b2b95de9ac3ec64.png

I like the cover too, hence why I got it. Well, that and the price was right ;)

That’s a good price. Not sure if you could say the price has gone down or you just got lucky. I picked up a book on Heritage recently for $180.00 and have watched 2 copies sell since for closer to the $500.00 range. Stuff slips under the radar at times. 

There have been a number of #150’s pop up lately too. 

Edited by N e r V

10 hours ago, N e r V said:

That’s a good price. Not sure if you could say the price has gone down or you just got lucky. I picked up a book on Heritage recently for $180.00 and have watched 2 copies sell since for closer to the $500.00 range. Stuff slips under the radar at times. 

There have been a number of #150’s pop up lately too. 

Lots of Marvel Family 89 are popping up too, prices aren't great though.

image.thumb.png.9a1a0c11b71f56d0b197285c084e45c7.png

But I don't think the prices being low right now are a stroke of my luck. For starters, I am not that lucky. Plus, I put a giant target on these books by calling out how cheap they are on a board where lots of comic fans come to see what's heating up and stay abreast of market trends. And since then I was still able to get books at 30-50% off guide at places anyone here can also access (my comic shop, ebay). Last night's Heritage auction dumped a lot of nice Fawcetts, some being the highest grade Captan Marvel Jrs and everything I was looking at was sold at guide or below. With my win, the latest GPA price for a CMA 150 in 6.0 will be 180, so that's the price anyone interested in buying or selling will be looking at. Record highs (on that site) for other books were achieved, so we know collectors were there watching and bidding, just not on these. I mean think about it, the auction for Captain Marvel GA books on heritage is right between Batman and Detective Comics, it's prime real estate to have as much attention from GA collectors. I bid on a bunch of stuff and the only things I ended up winning were the Fawcett books since no one cared.

But I think that's the answer right there, the more popular books are more expensive than ever before. And people only have so much money. The people bidding preferred using their money to outbid me on a Hawkman 4 (dammit!), instead of a CMA 16, which I ended up getting for a great price. So Hawkman 4 goes up in value, while CMA 16 just dropped. 

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

Lots of Marvel Family 89 are popping up too, prices aren't great though.

image.thumb.png.9a1a0c11b71f56d0b197285c084e45c7.png

But I don't think the prices being low right now are a stroke of my luck. For starters, I am not that lucky. Plus, I put a giant target on these books by calling out how cheap they are on a board where lots of comic fans come to see what's heating up and stay abreast of market trends. And since then I was still able to get books at 30-50% off guide at places anyone here can also access (my comic shop, ebay). Last night's Heritage auction dumped a lot of nice Fawcetts, some being the highest grade Captan Marvel Jrs and everything I was looking at was sold at guide or below. With my win, the latest GPA price for a CMA 150 in 6.0 will be 180, so that's the price anyone interested in buying or selling will be looking at. Record highs (on that site) for other books were achieved, so we know collectors were there watching and bidding, just not on these. I mean think about it, the auction for Captain Marvel GA books on heritage is right between Batman and Detective Comics, it's prime real estate to have as much attention from GA collectors. I bid on a bunch of stuff and the only things I ended up winning were the Fawcett books since no one cared.

But I think that's the answer right there, the more popular books are more expensive than ever before. And people only have so much money. The people bidding preferred using their money to outbid me on a Hawkman 4 (dammit!), instead of a CMA 16, which I ended up getting for a great price. So Hawkman 4 goes up in value, while CMA 16 just dropped. 

You might be right. I can’t say I’m following Fawcett’s as close as you seem. My Marvel Family #89 CGC 6.5 was a $50.00 book raw just a couple of years ago. I have copies of Whiz Comics #153 in the same price/condition  range and I’d be hard pressed to find copies for that today. Captain Marvel #150 CGC 7.5 had a sale of $320.00 not to long ago so $180.00 for a 6.0 still seemed like a good deal.

If the stock market continues to crumble into recession this year you might see a lot more cheap prices in this field...:nyah:

3 hours ago, N e r V said:

You might be right. I can’t say I’m following Fawcett’s as close as you seem. My Marvel Family #89 CGC 6.5 was a $50.00 book raw just a couple of years ago. I have copies of Whiz Comics #153 in the same price/condition  range and I’d be hard pressed to find copies for that today. Captain Marvel #150 CGC 7.5 had a sale of $320.00 not to long ago so $180.00 for a 6.0 still seemed like a good deal.

If the stock market continues to crumble into recession this year you might see a lot more cheap prices in this field...:nyah:

Those are great finds on your end. I hope to find them too (I might, who knows) but prices have definitely gone up since your finds.

And sadly, I am also invested in stocks so if they go down, I won't have too much money to purchase with. Unless I finally choose to sell my silver age marvel keys that don't seem to slow down.

And hell yeah on me affecting that GPA!