• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fawcett Books can be so Damn Cheap
6 6

292 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, N e r V said:
Looks like your sale dropped the GPA chart too...:devil:

2D3BB163-9CFA-4308-8028-8B7B7C2C449A.thumb.png.602a1da3e7611bf12b9a00d1bd635247.png

Oh man, I just realized this shows a 5.0 sold for more than this 6.0. Something's happening.

I don't have access to GPA (I think), would you mind pulling up Captain Marvel Jr 28. That book seems to be in free fall.

3 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Those are great finds on your end. I hope to find them too (I might, who knows) but prices have definitely gone up since your finds.

And sadly, I am also invested in stocks so if they go down, I won't have too much money to purchase with. Unless I finally choose to sell my silver age marvel keys that don't seem to slow down.

And hell yeah on me affecting that GPA! 

Better have had your eyes closed tight today...

Dow Jones Industrial Average
INDEXDJX: .DJI

Finance 
23,851.02 −2,013.76 (7.79%)

Mar 9, 4:59 PM EDT · 

If this continues on you may want to start adding other companies like Timely and DC and others with price drops.

Ouch! The market is bad....

Edited by N e r V

3 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Oh man, I just realized this shows a 5.0 sold for more than this 6.0. Something's happening.

I don't have access to GPA (I think), would you mind pulling up Captain Marvel Jr 28. That book seems to be in free fall.

Not a lot of data on #28 but a 5.5 just sold in January 2020 for $89.00...

2 hours ago, nearmint said:

One of my favorite books...

master22.jpg

2 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Beautiful copy!  And that book is not so damn cheap! :whatthe:

It was a 5k book in that grade last year. 

23 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Not a lot of data on #28 but a 5.5 just sold in January 2020 for $89.00...

Yeah that was me. That same book sold as a raw VG in 2017 for 179. Too bad there isn't more info than those few sales, was curious to see if there was a trend or not.

42 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Better have had your eyes closed tight today...

Dow Jones Industrial Average
INDEXDJX: .DJI

Finance 
23,851.02 −2,013.76 (7.79%)

Mar 9, 4:59 PM EDT · 

If this continues on you may want to start adding other companies like Timely and DC and others with price drops.

Ouch! The market is bad....

Great time to buy as long as one is not retiring.

2 hours ago, zosocane said:

Great time to buy as long as one is not retiring.

I know. It makes it harder to buy comics when there’s so much “on sale” with good stocks/funds these days. 

2 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Yeah that was me. That same book sold as a raw VG in 2017 for 179. Too bad there isn't more info than those few sales, was curious to see if there was a trend or not.

Maybe the Fawcett market has become so bad that you actually ARE the current market...hm

What you are buying is creating the current MVP...lol

1 minute ago, N e r V said:

Maybe the Fawcett market has become so bad that you actually ARE the current market...hm

What you are buying is creating the current MVP...lol

We joke, but I think there's some truth to it. Then again, these are rare golden age comics where only one comic in that specific grade is sold once every other year. I am amazed at how many times Heritage will list a Fawcett item now that has 0 previous sales through them (in terms of specific grade and issue).

And yeah, if you check the GPA for Fawcett books sold these past 6 months, quite a few of those are to me. I would rather buy raw, but many of these books that come on the market are slabbed and since there is no premium for these books slabbed, I'll take em.

On 2/28/2020 at 1:21 PM, MrBedrock said:

The more folks think they are cheap the sooner they will not be cheap.

As it is, now is a great time to be buying them.

Yeah ... no.  That dog don't hunt.  Overall, they are moving up, but overall, not in any way that would make any rational person think "gotta get 'em now before they sky-rocket."  At least en masse.  

I think someone else said it well, when they pointed out that the lack of these characters being on your newsstand and in your comic book shop for years contributed to the secondary market interest today.  I actually liked the film and hope that their future efforts will improve and bring a wider audience/interest to these books.  

Now, if we're talking about specific titles or books, that's different.  Raboy's work, certain first appearances, etc. are def growing in popularity and strength.  

But, with respect to (especially) Raboy Masters, I think there is also a vicious circle keeping these books undervalued.  On the one hand, the books are widely revered and extremely sought after.  But so many of these are so rare in the marketplace, esp. in grade.  You don't just go to GPA and see 10 sales of Master 27 in say 7.0, 8.0, 9.0, etc. to have an idea of FMV.  As such, the lack of an established market creates reticence to sell, especially at the Overstreet (way under-valued) pricing; and many collectors who are looking for these books (but who aren't completely in-the-know on just how rare these books are in the marketplace in grade) fear they could be over-paying (by paying over Overstreet) because there isn't a lot of actual sales data out there.        

Edited by LearnedHand

8 hours ago, LearnedHand said:

But, with respect to (especially) Raboy Masters, I think there is also a vicious circle keeping these books undervalued.  On the one hand, the books are widely revered and extremely sought after.  But so many of these are so rare in the marketplace, esp. in grade.  You don't just go to GPA and see 10 sales of Master 27 in say 7.0, 8.0, 9.0, etc. to have an idea of FMV.  As such, the lack of an established market creates reticence to sell, especially at the Overstreet (way under-valued) pricing; and many collectors who are looking for these books (but who aren't completely in-the-know on just how rare these books are in the marketplace in grade) fear they could be over-paying (by paying over Overstreet) because there isn't a lot of actual sales data out there.        

I was just wondering, is your opinion of the Overstreet being undervalued only in reference to Master Comics 27 or these comics in general? 

Also, why is Master Comics 27 so sought after compared to the others? From someone like me just getting into these now with no notion of past popularity, I would say Captain Marvel Jr 26 and Master Comics 31 are as impressive in terms of presenting Captain Marvel Jr as the comic book icon of his time.

On 2/29/2020 at 9:48 AM, Straw-Man said:

love my hill book!  but that cover listing isn't completely accurate, imo.

Speaking of accurate info, does it include Captain Marvel Jr 29 ? Overstreet (and thus CGC) exclude it from their Raboy cover list but have 32, which I now know is false. But I read elsewhere (like the DC Database) that Captain Marvel Jr 29 is credited to Raboy, so I'm not sure.

Image result for captain marvel jr 29

4 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

This is a bit discouraging. Not my book, but I thought it should have brought more

51C081DB-5579-4103-A553-1826D293B678.png

wow, I could actually afford that ! (I mean it would still be one heck of an expense for me and my budget would be spent but still feasable if it was something I truly wanted)

Edited by William-James88

By the way Ceasar's Ghost, I am glad you brought this topic back up. While I have indeed bought some cheap Fawcetts recently, they were always the mid to low grade kind where they are not the "top 5" graded. I have noticed that some issues are attaining new heights in terms of prices with some people sending in some of the lesser graded Fawcetts and selling them on ComicLink with the notion that these are Top 3,4,5 graded. It's obviously not hard to obtain that when some issues have less than 5 graded copies in the guide, and the reason there aren't more graded is because it's often not worth it. But people took a chance, I guess and I now often get outbid due to someone wanting to own one of the "top 3" graded copies of a random Marvel Family issue. So some slabbed copies sell more than guide now. The seller still probably would have made more money selling them raw (since books that era cost about $50 all together to get graded) but nominal wise, we are seeing  new heights.