• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May the Force be with you! Star Wars Signature Series Thread!
7 7

438 posts in this topic

On 2/6/2022 at 12:33 AM, eee91 said:

I enjoyed this character from the cartoons, but after visiting Galaxy's Edge and seeing how this character is going to live on for decades, I had to get a book signed by the voice actor. 

0302220225071.thumb.jpg.48909985184c6c205259531145027610.jpg

Nice!  How long until he makes a live action appearance in a TV show and/or movie??

Hello everyone, big Star Wars fan here. Looking to add some sigs to my comic book collection. Got a couple questions, what type of sharpie is preferred for sigs? Are paint pens like silver and white a good thing or should I stick to the standard black or blue sharpie? Also, any pens of colors I should stay away from that can fade over time? Thanks in advance for any help! I will post my books here as I get them done. 

On 5/22/2022 at 1:38 PM, eastbayrudy said:

Hello everyone, big Star Wars fan here. Looking to add some sigs to my comic book collection. Got a couple questions, what type of sharpie is preferred for sigs? Are paint pens like silver and white a good thing or should I stick to the standard black or blue sharpie? Also, any pens of colors I should stay away from that can fade over time? Thanks in advance for any help! I will post my books here as I get them done. 

Hi!  I would suspect your questions have been asked & answered in the Newbie Comic Collecting Questions forum - you may want to check there for (better) answers.  I think, ultimately, it comes down to your personal preference.  You can also google search acrylic vs oil-based vs permanent inks. 

I recall seeing an article about Sharpies and how darker inks (black, blue) and metallic inks tended to do better over time.  But even they still faded.  I think it even says on the packaging that Sharpie metallic inks are fade resistant - not fade proof. 

And I think oil-based inks are fade-resistant??

For acrylic paint pens, I personally think they do tend to look better - the colors seem to "pop" more than a Sharpie signature. 

I know that how porous the item being signed is also something to consider for different kinds of pens/inks.  And the "flow" of the ink is something to consider too.  I saw a celebrity use a black pen (I think it was oil-based) to sign a poster (it looked like glossy card stock to me) and as he started to sign it, the ink just flowed out and bled everywhere - it literally left a little pool of ink on it.  I also know a creator used a non-Sharpie pen to do a remarque on a bronze age cover and a similar issue happened - once he started to push down on the tip, too much black ink unfortunately flowed out onto the cover causing smearing. 

I believe acrylic paint can also chip??  So, could a thick acrylic signature inside a slab chip?  I guess anything is possible, but I don't remember hearing of this actually happening.  

With all that said, I'll go back to my disclaimer at the beginning and suggest that you check out the Newbie forum for better answers!  lol

On 5/23/2022 at 3:56 PM, DELTA 62 said:

Hi!  I would suspect your questions have been asked & answered in the Newbie Comic Collecting Questions forum - you may want to check there for (better) answers.  I think, ultimately, it comes down to your personal preference.  You can also google search acrylic vs oil-based vs permanent inks. 

I recall seeing an article about Sharpies and how darker inks (black, blue) and metallic inks tended to do better over time.  But even they still faded.  I think it even says on the packaging that Sharpie metallic inks are fade resistant - not fade proof. 

And I think oil-based inks are fade-resistant??

For acrylic paint pens, I personally think they do tend to look better - the colors seem to "pop" more than a Sharpie signature. 

I know that how porous the item being signed is also something to consider for different kinds of pens/inks.  And the "flow" of the ink is something to consider too.  I saw a celebrity use a black pen (I think it was oil-based) to sign a poster (it looked like glossy card stock to me) and as he started to sign it, the ink just flowed out and bled everywhere - it literally left a little pool of ink on it.  I also know a creator used a non-Sharpie pen to do a remarque on a bronze age cover and a similar issue happened - once he started to push down on the tip, too much black ink unfortunately flowed out onto the cover causing smearing. 

I believe acrylic paint can also chip??  So, could a thick acrylic signature inside a slab chip?  I guess anything is possible, but I don't remember hearing of this actually happening.  

With all that said, I'll go back to my disclaimer at the beginning and suggest that you check out the Newbie forum for better answers!  lol

Will do I will check out the post. Also, thanks for taking the time to help me out. Hoping to score some sigs this week at SW Celebration and just trying to be prepared. 

On 5/23/2022 at 5:19 PM, eastbayrudy said:

Will do I will check out the post. Also, thanks for taking the time to help me out. Hoping to score some sigs this week at SW Celebration and just trying to be prepared. 

Have a great time at Celebration!  Can't wait to see what signatures you get.

Just got back from Cele. Was only able to get 1 sig but its a big one. Got Ewan McGregor on the new Obi Wan #1 photo variant cover. The system there was terrible. No CGC available. They did'nt even provide authentication for the item after it was signed. Just handed back your item and sent you on your way. CBCS was there and they don't even tell you that. I discovered them as I was walking through the show floor vendor area. I dropped off my book with them to get slabbed. The guy said I will not get the witnessed label but they will authenticate the signature. Honestly, it does not matter to me because this book isn't going anywhere. I will post it here is soon as I get it back. Cant wait! 

On 5/31/2022 at 9:26 PM, Bobarocks said:

Incredible books, everyone! Many of these I'll never own, but you've given me great goals for my collection... and something to drool over. Thanks!

Welcome to the boards!