• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Wild Wacky World of Esoteric Oddball Comics!
5 5

303 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Robot Man said:

And then, there is this one. Would NEVER fly today on any newstand...

commuggsymouse2.jpg

I think a question that always pops up whenever someone posts a 1940s/50s cover with a comment like yours attached is how exactly comedy, which is largely tied to the history of comics, should be approached when drawing from the world around you, including black people? Now, I realize outright, racist-based hateful and hurtful covers specifically meant to attack black people is objectively wrong. I get that, though at least from what I understand, most comic artists didn’t draw many black characters the way they did as an attack, but simply as an exaggeration which is perhaps inherent when it comes to comedy, which even Jack Kirby and Will Eisner were guilty of when they drew Whitewash Jones and Ebony White the way they did.

Again, this is not to defend racism, but I suppose I’m simply wondering what exactly the fine line is between ok and not ok? Like, would it have been more ok if characters of various races had been caricatured together? Should it have been disallowed for black people to have been part of comedy/exaggeration-based material altogether in favor of only white characters being in exaggerated comedy stories with caricatures? Could only someone like Matt Baker have been allowed to insert black characters on comedy covers/in comedy stories since he was black himself?

Edited by Electricmastro

So many of you have mentioned (the wonderful) Scott Shaw! and Oddball Comics in this thread that I just wanted to mention that Scott did an Oddball Comics panel this weekend at the San Diego Comic Fest. He will be there today at the show as well. I picked up this (non golden age...sorry) sketch cover (front and back) from him Friday picturing what Fred and Dino think of DC's Flintstone #1 and their more 'realistic' Flintstone style offering. Classic Scott Shaw! humor. 

fullsizeoutput_6d2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6d1.jpeg

Here are a few of my favorite wacky oddball comics. 

Headline 14 - Who dreamed up a war cover featuring a sleigh drawn by giant penguins machine-gunning Japanese forces?  I love it. 

HiHo 2 - The story inside is even weirder and more racist, with a Japanese sub popping out of the river and asking Chief Hotshot how to get to NY so they can bomb it, and him liking their plan and agreeing to guide them.  But then they come upon his love interest Princess Brighteyes and start lusting after her, so then Chief Hotshot decides they are evil after all and kills them all.  What wholesome reading!

Super Dooper 7 - Obvious resemblance to someone we all know and love.  Nothing inside references the weirdos on the cover.  

headline comics 14.jpg

hiho 2.jpeg

SuperDooper Comics 7.jpg