• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Wild Wacky World of Esoteric Oddball Comics!
5 5

303 posts in this topic

On 3/8/2020 at 2:53 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I don't think it is necessarily the depiction, as there were characters like Doiby Dickles and the three insufficiently_thoughtful_persons in the Flash who were exaggerated depictions of negative Caucasian stereotypes. I think it has much more to do with the associated ideas people held about the supposed inferiority of other races and the resultant societal injustices. More to the story than the depiction.

Yeah, I suppose characters like Doiby Dickles, and white hillbillies for that matter, are worth taking into consideration as well. To keep it on-topic, but brief, while there’s definitely a responsibility to be had for writers and artists in their intentions for how they go about depicting black people, there’s also a responsibility for society to have in understanding the world that’s always around them and the people in it, including black people, and to keep their associated ideas and such in check to the best of their abilities.

Edited by Electricmastro

19 hours ago, Electricmastro said:

Yeah, I suppose characters like Doiby Dickles, and white hillbillies for that matter, are worth taking into consideration as well. To keep it on-topic, but brief, while there’s definitely a responsibility to be had for writers and artists in their intentions for how they go about depicting black people, there’s also a responsibility for society to have in understanding the world that’s always around them and the people in it, including black people, and to keep their associated ideas and such in check to the best of their abilities.

Hillbillies, that should also be a genre; here's a good one. This title went from Kirby madness to Avison funk in one issue!! I like how Cap has dislodged that hillbilly's corn cob pipe with his shield.

tn_Cap11.jpg.2249f4224ab0134c9e4ec822ad825303.jpg

4 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Hillbillies, that should also be a genre; here's a good one. This title went from Kirby madness to Avison funk in one issue!! I like how Cap has dislodged that hillbilly's corn cob pipe with his shield.

tn_Cap11.jpg.2249f4224ab0134c9e4ec822ad825303.jpg

Cap probably discovered their moon shine still...