• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coronavirus's impact on the worldwide box office
3 3

572 posts in this topic

On 12/30/2021 at 11:43 AM, paperheart said:

US BO in 2021: $4.5 Billion, 30% of total was CB movies

On 12/30/2021 at 8:10 PM, paperheart said:

Q4 actual US BO: down 29% vs 2019

Wow, take Far from Home out of the mix and that would change quite a bit. Keep the CB movies coming!

We went to see the new Fantastical Beast movie on Saturday night and the theater was only a third full.  I know it was Easter weekend but I was shock that a big movie like that would not pull in full theaters in its first week.  The movie was just ok but I'm glad we saw it on the big screen.

"Pandemic is lifted!"

China’s use of lockdowns to curb the spread of new COVID cases has kept cinemas in many parts of the country closed for several weeks. Shanghai has been the epicenter and endured the harshest restrictions, but the recent spread of the disease to Beijing has caused alarm.

The Friday-Sunday box office aggregate – $24.5 million – is the highest weekend haul in over eight weeks. But it is a small fraction of May Day holiday weekends in previous years.

May Day is normally one of the high points in the Chinese cinema year, with new releases lined up and ticket prices adjusted upwards. This year, instead, distributors have been postponing their new titles until unspecified future dates.

On 4/18/2022 at 9:02 AM, 1Cool said:

We went to see the new Fantastical Beast movie on Saturday night and the theater was only a third full.  

I went with  y wife the Friday night it came out and there was a total of 6 people in the room. But I think that's just more indicative of the film itself. 

China Box Office Drops To $4.4B In 2022 Amid Covid Swings, Lack Of Product

China’s box office in 2022 dropped 36% versus 2021, reaching a little over RMB 30B ($4.35B).

According to Chinese state media, citing figures from the China Film Administration, 85% of the 2022 revenue was generated by local movies, led by The Battle at Lake Changjin II with RMB 4.07B ($636M at historical rates, per comScore). This past weekend, James Cameron’s Avatar: The Way of Water became the highest-grossing studio import of the year, overtaking Jurassic World Dominion with an estimated $152.8M through Sunday.

The market was severely impacted by Covid-related issues across the year, including extended lockdowns in various cities and a rollercoaster of the number of cinemas open. More recently, China lifted its zero-Covid policy which resulted in its own set of problems as infections surged and audiences were concerned about leaving their homes.