• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Later printings/reprints and registry sets
2 2

2 posts in this topic

Is there any guidance to how sets should/do handle later printings, reprints, etc.? There doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency, but I imagine I might be missing something. For example, the Albedo registry set considers all the printings any of the first three printings (or their variants) of the #0 Prototype to be a single slot with varying point values, but treats the 1st and 2nd printings of Albedo #1 as different slots. On the other hand, I know that a lot of more mainstream titles ignore subsequent printings entirely.

What's the rule of thumb for this sort of thing? What determines when a later printing/reprint is its own slot vs. a lower-point slot fill vs. excluded from set consideration?

• Administrator

@Qalyar Thank you for your post. Typically, a set will include the additional prints and variants if it is listed as a "Complete with Variants" set. For most of our modern sets containing books within the last few years, this rule has been a bit inconsistent due to the number of variants and additional prints being published. With our vintage sets (Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Copper) the guidelines are more strict as this was not an issue at those times. If a set does not specify but collectors request a variant or additional printing to be added, it is most likely added within the existing slot.