• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

That looks like it has a pretty cool story.

Isn't that story in Batman from the 30s to the 70s? One summer when I was seven or eight I would walk to the library daily to read that book. Of course we lived next door...

Marc

The story in the Tec #205 may very well be in Batman 30's to 70's. That book like yourself was read from my local library when I was twelve or thirteen. Those color cover photo's started me to collect Batman comics. That Penguin in the bird cage cover hit me like a ton of bricks. I had to have as many as possible!! In those days I didn't know any covers to Batman or Detective comics, so going to conventions and looking at a pile of Bat Golden Age was amazing. Of course in those days a Golden Age book if you could find them at a show would set you back $5.00 to $20.00 bucks cloud9.gif Here are some Jokers from the 50's. File0218.jpg[/img] File0215.jpg[/img]

Those color cover photo's started me to collect Batman comics. That Penguin in the bird cage cover hit me like a ton of bricks

BATMAN:FROM THE THIRTIES TO THE SEVENTIES is what really fueled my appetite for those GA Batman comics when I was a kid. Detective #120(Pengy in the birdcage) is also one of my favorites, and my all time favorite is BATMAN #37(the Joker signal and the Joker mobile). At the time I was perusing that book, a friend of mine's mother was an artist. She drew that wonderful Batman #37 cover for me, and it hung on my wall for the longest time when I was a kid. cloud9.gif

Those color cover photo's started me to collect Batman comics. That Penguin in the bird cage cover hit me like a ton of bricks

BATMAN:FROM THE THIRTIES TO THE SEVENTIES is what really fueled my appetite for those GA Batman comics when I was a kid. Detective #120(Pengy in the birdcage) is also one of my favorites, and my all time favorite is BATMAN #37(the Joker signal and the Joker mobile). At the time I was perusing that book, a friend of mine's mother was an artist. She drew that wonderful Batman #37 cover for me, and it hung on my wall for the longest time when I was a kid. cloud9.gif

Great story thumbsup2.gif I have to make it a priority to find the 30's to 70's book just for memories sake. I have seen this book on Ebay from time to time.

That looks like it has a pretty cool story.

Isn't that story in Batman from the 30s to the 70s? One summer when I was seven or eight I would walk to the library daily to read that book. Of course we lived next door...

Marc

The story in the Tec #205 may very well be in Batman 30's to 70's. That book like yourself was read from my local library when I was twelve or thirteen. Those color cover photo's started me to collect Batman comics. That Penguin in the bird cage cover hit me like a ton of bricks. I had to have as many as possible!! In those days I didn't know any covers to Batman or Detective comics, so going to conventions and looking at a pile of Bat Golden Age was amazing. Of course in those days a Golden Age book if you could find them at a show would set you back $5.00 to $20.00 bucks cloud9.gif Here are some Jokers from the 50's. File0218.jpg[/img] File0215.jpg[/img]

Amazing to realize that Detective Comics #180 and #193 are the only Joker covers of that title throughout the whole of the 1950s (not counting #168). I am lucky enough to have the Spokane copies of both of these books.

BATMAN:FROM THE THIRTIES TO THE SEVENTIES is what really fueled my appetite for those GA Batman comics when I was a kid.

My first issue of Detective was also a 100-pager so those reprints helped too, as well as the Treasuries and Famous First Editions. It all kind of hit together for me and thus I love all eras of Batman. None of them seem ridiculous to me because I read them all during my personal golden age.

When I was in high school and had already collected some nice early GA Bats and Tecs and WFs, I got a call from the library that something had arrived via intra-library mail. The librarian from the town we lived in when I was eight had discovered that copy of Batman from the 30s to the 70s in the out-of-circulation bin and sent it to me! So I have the actual copy I read all those summer days. Thank you Joyce Greene, super-librarian. Whereever you are.

Marc

The librarian from the town we lived in when I was eight had discovered that copy of Batman from the 30s to the 70s in the out-of-circulation bin and sent it to me! So I have the actual copy I read all those summer days. Thank you Joyce Greene, super-librarian. Whereever you are.

Nice story! thumbsup2.gif

Marc,

I think we could make an exception to the thread if you would like to post a pic of your book. See if there is a checkout card with your name on it inside the front cover.

The Joker looks great on the black background. Somehow it makes him look slightly more insane.

Marc,

I think we could make an exception to the thread if you would like to post a pic of your book. See if there is a checkout card with your name on it inside the front cover.

That would be hilarious. I'll see what I can do. The book is really trashed. The dust jacket, despite being library covered and reinforced, is long-gone. The spine is showing it's guts. Pages are falling out and have fallen out. Plus, there are definitely signs that it is a library book.

I'll try to get to it.

Marc

Nice double cover.

Insert Cricket noises here

Why do Firemen wear red suspenders?