• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vampirella 1 Club
8 8

278 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

It's a cool book but i've always been put off by the cover image; the pose (awkward hips, legs), Liefeld feet, lacking detail on the face and that right hand/finger.  Does that all get a pass because its Frazetta?

Yes...  (worship)

By the way, what's particularly awesome about the Lion's copy is that it's nicely cut/centered and 9.6 with white pages!  That's about as good as it gets.  My guess is if you saw the lone 9.8 and this book raw, it would be hard to choose between the two.  (thumbsu

2 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

You were early.  Wish I'd started buying these when you did.  :preach:

It used to be so easy...and cheap, too! 

To be ridiculously honest, I purchased this copy within the last five years or so. And you know Douglas, it's like a friend of mine used to say: "If I had your books, I'd burn mine!"   lol 

6 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

It's a cool book but i've always been put off by the cover image; the pose (awkward hips, legs), Liefeld feet, lacking detail on the face and that right hand/finger.  Does that all get a pass because its Frazetta?

I would say because it's Frazetta is a big part of it.  But also, at this point, it's become a truly iconic image.  People don't notice the problems you bring up because they've seen the cover for 50 years now; and at a certain point you start missing those details because the image has been shown and swiped for so long you see it as perfectly correct on its own terms. And have for a long time now.

7 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

By the way, what's particularly awesome about the Lion's copy is that it's nicely cut/centered and 9.6 with white pages!  That's about as good as it gets.  My guess is if you saw the lone 9.8 and this book raw, it would be hard to choose between the two.  (thumbsu

That's nice of you to say, my friend.   :)

The story behind it goes like this:  It came from a collection that was purchased new and then stored away in a drawer for many years. When the original owner passed away, the collection passed to his son. I purchased two copies of Vampirella #1 from the son. They both received a 9.6 grade with white pages. I was tempted to get them both pressed, but I decided not to. I sold the other copy a couple of years ago. I try not to be consumed by what I collect---I always think of what happened to this guy...  lol 

1608599303_gollum2.jpg.6533e5a92aaed1ad78dea6894227feec.jpg

As I'm sure you know, we all take chances on books and many times they aren't what we were hoping for. Every once in a while, we get lucky. In fact, that's a pretty good topic for a thread, isn't it?   hm

Edited by The Lions Den

7 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

I think you also may be a bit overly harsh in your assessment.  Comic book (and other) illustration is often not anatomically correct or perfect in order to express certain qualities.  The number of articles and books on this subject are way too many to count.  For me, Frazetta achieved atmospheric and dynamic expression that no other artist has yet to come close to.  Many have imitated, none have come close.  And comparing that image to Rob Liefeld... I’m sorry but I don’t think that’s even close to compare.  Frazetta had no trouble with anatomy.  He even talks about it in interviews and the documentary.  He followed in the footsteps of Burne Hogarth and Hal Foster, both of whom set gold standards for representative and narrative illustration.  2c

Rob Liefeld, man, that’s mean spirited!  :(

45 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

I think you also may be a bit overly harsh in your assessment.  Comic book (and other) illustration is often not anatomically correct or perfect in order to express certain qualities.  The number of articles and books on this subject are way too many to count.  For me, Frazetta achieved atmospheric and dynamic expression that no other artist has yet to come close to.  Many have imitated, none have come close.  And comparing that image to Rob Liefeld... I’m sorry but I don’t think that’s even close to compare.  Frazetta had no trouble with anatomy.  He even talks about it in interviews and the documentary.  He followed in the footsteps of Burne Hogarth and Hal Foster, both of whom set gold standards for representative and narrative illustration.  2c

Rob Liefeld, man, that’s mean spirited!  :(

This makes me want to get a Vampirella commission from Liefeld to compare. :)

47 minutes ago, wombat said:

Its really seems like the price has only recently really ramped up. It feels like in the last year it has just really taken off. 

Thank God for getting in on the ground floor.🎯

33 minutes ago, piper said:

How long have you had your copy?

I paid 800.00 in 2014 for a CGC 9.2

I dont know if that was too much or too little at the time. I saw it and it was a pretty copy, so I snagged it. I knew it would be tough to get as high a grade or higher later down the line.

Edited by oakman29

22 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I paid 800.00 in 2014 for a CGC 9.2

I dont know if that was too much or too little at the time. I saw it and it was a pretty copy, so I snagged it. I knew it would be tough to get as high a grade or higher later down the line.

I think 🤔 you did pretty good! 

I bought my 7.5 copy about two years ago for $450. (I was a little later to the party.)

I have had some good luck finding high grade magazines lately, especially Frazetta covers (Creepy 16, Vampirella 5, 7, 11).

I’m getting pretty close to having a 1-20 run. After this current buying spree, I need 13, 16, 17-19.