• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Adventures
7 7

740 posts in this topic

On 9/21/2022 at 7:10 PM, OtherEric said:

How are the rest of us ever supposed to get a 79 if you’re grabbing all of them?

Well, I’m depressed after I sold my 5.5 and 7.5. So my PTSD is causing me to buy any copy that comes to market 🤣. Not that it happens often mind you.

Don’t know if anyone picked up any of the amazing copies @Lee Kis selling, but I managed to snag these two issues on Comiclink. He’s got a bunch of amazing stuff still selling and in upcoming auctions. So recommend checking the remaining books out.

909DF912-6503-4297-8C72-5ED0A15926D9.jpeg

04E64159-A380-46D5-84F5-738960516AA8.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 9/28/2022 at 7:51 PM, OtherEric said:

White pages for the win? ???

Nah, no way in hell white pages would matter that much with a 5 grade difference. I can only assume a shift in the market. White pages as far as I’ve known only plays a role when it’s the same grade. I don’t think white pages would sell higher than a one grade differential. I mean maybe a lower grade book where small grade changes don’t result in big price shifts.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 9/28/2022 at 7:53 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Nah, no way in hell white pages would matter that much with a 5 grade difference. I can only assume a shift in the market. White pages as far as I’ve known only plays a role when it’s the same grade. I don’t think white pages would sell higher than a one grade differential. I mean maybe a lower grade book where small grade changes don’t result in big price shifts.

I think it’s a fluke of the nature of bidding. I might take a white 7.5 over a OW/W 8.0 depending on the books appearance. Maybe as much as even a 1 point difference again depending on the book. Now a cream/off white can fall much more to me vs a white copy because depending on the book cream can look pretty tan at times. I’ve seen books in 6.5 that I can favor over a 8.0 because those cream pages are a bit to creamy for me…

On 9/28/2022 at 10:25 PM, N e r V said:

I think it’s a fluke of the nature of bidding. I might take a white 7.5 over a OW/W 8.0 depending on the books appearance. Maybe as much as even a 1 point difference again depending on the book. Now a cream/off white can fall much more to me vs a white copy because depending on the book cream can look pretty tan at times. I’ve seen books in 6.5 that I can favor over a 8.0 because those cream pages are a bit to creamy for me…

I just have to imagine the auction likely lacked bidder interest in general. I mean clearly when something like this happens, seems like the most obvious case. I really think the page debate just comes down to the book, and we’re debating price difference more so than general preference. As an example, pretty sure nobody in the known universe is preferring or paying more for a Hulk 1 7.5 with white pages over a Hulk 1 8.0 with cream to off white. Keeping in mind I’m just comparing page quality, assuming the books present correctly/solidly in their prospective grades. But a Whiz Comics 38 whatever book in 5.0 with white compared to a 5.5 with tan pages. Yeah I’m probably taking the 5.0.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 9/28/2022 at 10:41 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I just have to imagine the auction likely lacked bidder interest in general. I mean clearly when something like this happens, seems like the most obvious case. I really think the page debate just comes down to the book, and we’re debating price difference more so than general preference. As an example, pretty sure none in the known universe is preferring or paying more for a Hulk 1 7.5 with white pages over a Hulk 1 8.0 with cream to off white. But a Whiz Comics 38 whatever book in 5.0 with white compared to a 5.5 with tan pages. Yeah I’m probably taking the 5.0.

Having bought books like Hulk #181 off the stands I would never buy today a Bronze Age book with cream pages. OW/W is the minimum and white preferred. Key makes zero difference to me because a book from that era has tons of better quality paged copies and cream pages on a 1970’s book shows it wasn’t kept in all that great storage conditions. I make exceptions when you get to silver age or older but prefer any cream books be pretty old to accept. The page quality is reflective of how the books aged due to storage. Think of white pages as the 65 year old who took care of themselves and still can jog and do a workout and the cream pages as someone who shuffles along with some aches and pains because they didn’t eat or exercise as well. Still somewhat healthy but not nearly as active…

Edited by N e r V

On 9/28/2022 at 10:56 PM, OtherEric said:

I was never trying to seriously suggest the page quality was the cause of the price difference, I was just trying to make a joke based on the only difference I saw where the one book was better than the other.

Page quality aside it is weird at times when you have multiple books at auction in various grades or even same grade where bidders go and how it all ends up. I’ve seen any number of strange price variations with no real good reasons of why the prices fell that way. Auctions bring out strange behaviors at times with no real logic.

On 9/28/2022 at 11:00 PM, N e r V said:

Page quality aside it is weird at times when you have multiple books at auction in various grades or even same grade where bidders go and how it all ends up. I’ve seen any number of strange price variations with no real good reasons of why the prices fell that way. Auctions bring out strange behaviors at times with no real logic.

I've seen a few where there are multiple copies ending at nearly the same time have bonkers results, depending on who got or missed the first copy.

On 9/28/2022 at 10:52 PM, N e r V said:

Having bought books like Hulk #181 off the stands I would never buy today a Bronze Age book with cream pages. OW/W is the minimum and white preferred. Key makes zero difference to me because a book from that era has tons of better quality paged copies and cream pages on a 1970’s book shows it wasn’t kept in all that great storage conditions. I make exceptions when you get to silver age or older but prefer any cream books be pretty old to accept. The page quality is reflective of how the books aged due to storage. Think of white pages as the 65 year old who took care of themselves and still can jog and do a workout and the cream pages as someone who shuffles along with some aches and pains because they didn’t eat or exercise as well. Still somewhat healthy but not nearly as active…

Yeah that’s why I used Hulk 1 as an example and went silver and not bronze. I suspect most people on here care more for silver and gold. But that aside, I meant the general buyer.

On 9/29/2022 at 5:36 AM, zzutak said:

It's an indication of a very thin market.  :preach:  There are only a handful of 10-cent Strange Adventures issues I'd trade in if I was a flipper (which I'm not), and issue #3 is definitely not one of 'em.  :tonofbricks:  Here's a formerly "lost" pedigree and a new top-census copy that just returned home from a 400-day vacation in Sarasota.  :headbang:

89991672_SA19-90-WM.thumb.jpg.21cec6dbe0b903c18a399ada6830fe70.jpg  1051556596_SA92-90.thumb.jpg.39eded7cd0a90dc6b0161a5fe75a448a.jpg

No I hear ya. I’ve always heard that issues 1-8 are the least sought after. Just to be clear issue #1 is of course a beast of a book, especially in high grade. It’s actually sold pretty solidly in general the last 4-6 months. But those 8 issues just don’t seem to garner much excitement from collectors.

Great books to return 👌.