• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Adventures
7 7

741 posts in this topic

On the subject of scarcity ......

On 1/13/2023 at 6:37 PM, buttock said:

They certainly aren't common.  It's a tough era for DC in general.  But a lot of these are tied up in older collections where there is no reason to have them certified.  

On 1/13/2023 at 7:46 PM, OtherEric said:

Just in general, 50's DC is far scarcer than people generally credit it, I think.  But yeah, I suspect in many cases there just aren't than many getting slabbed.  50 and 79 are probably the best ones as a guide for numbers, since they're both higher demand issues.

In my opinion, each of these observations is correct.  I have no doubt that there are still a number of "nice" raw copies out there.  Just look at the Atomic Age gems Comic Book Addiction has been bringing to market the past few years.  And, as Eric notes, the relatively low guide/market value of most StrAdv issues simply does not justify the expense of CGC certification/encapsulation.  This being said, let's take a closer look at issues #50 and 79 (arguably, the two Atomic Age issues that bring the highest premium to guide).

Check out the current CGC Census.  Issue #50 has about 2x~3x more certified copies than the neighboring issues.  Issue #79 has about 8x~10x more certified copies than the neighboring issues.  This has nothing to do with print run but, rather, is 100% due to market demand/value.  (You'll see exactly the same pattern with ASM #300.)  But now look at the number of certified copies in "high grade" (9.4-9.2-9.0-8.5) -- pretty consistent across all issue numbers (which causes the most frequently certified issues to have the lowest "average" grade).

The small number of "high grade" certified copies of issues #50 and 79 (which would certainly bring at least $2000 at auction) suggest that there are probably not a lot of pristine copies tucked away out there.  A few, yes.  But a lot?  I don't think so.  In another 50 years or so, we should know for sure.  lol  :hi:

Census-1.thumb.png.5a0685839ae139270b1a5a4b2cce5666.png

Census-2.thumb.png.e44c642f8d854e9673af78bb7210a6e4.png