• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recommendations for Starting a CGC Comic Book eBay only store

62 posts in this topic

oh, and if you have a book you would grade at VF, sell it as an F. you'll get a rep for being a tight grader, and people will seek out your auctions, and you'll minimize the returns you have to do

Not sure how helpful this is but ckb has me hooked because he sells his cgc books pretty cheap. $25-40 depending on demand and they all grade at 9.6. So if your not real familiary with cgc's grades on 1976's and later then you won't even make the slab fee back. At $25 a pop for a 9.6 ckb must have a real low margin for error when he sends them in. If you have a few "canidates", send 1 or 2 in and see how they grade. Consider this an operational cost as you probably wont get your money back but at least you know now what to look for.

laugh.gif

if you're serious about selling slabs, use the pre-screen option, particularly on late 60s through mid-70s books that are expensive to slab but may not have upside if they only come back an 8.5 and not a 9.4 or 9.6.

Not sure how helpful this is but ckb has me hooked because he sells his cgc books pretty cheap. $25-40 depending on demand and they all grade at 9.6. So if your not real familiary with cgc's grades on 1976's and later then you won't even make the slab fee back. At $25 a pop for a 9.6 ckb must have a real low margin for error when he sends them in. If you have a few "canidates", send 1 or 2 in and see how they grade. Consider this an operational cost as you probably wont get your money back but at least you know now what to look for.

laugh.gif

It's all good. I end up breaking even on most 9.6s and make up for it on the 9.8s. The selling activity pays for me keeping a book or two or three or four for my personal set. :-)

Hit rate is about 50% on 9.6s and lower on 9.8s. And yes, pre-screen is the only way to go. I usually wait to submit 150 or more books at a time.

If you insist on having a partner, make sure that you put everything in writing. Try to think of every situation. Make sure that your partner knows what you expect to get out of this and you need to know what your partner expects. Partnerships usually ruin friendships.

Thank you very much. I think is so far this is one of the best suggestions. I'm hesitant to tell him I've decided to sell on eBay myself, but I feel that might ruin things more.

If you insist on having a partner, make sure that you put everything in writing. Try to think of every situation. Make sure that your partner knows what you expect to get out of this and you need to know what your partner expects. Partnerships usually ruin friendships.

I think your plan is great. However, for me personally I'm going to take things slowly and follow through in stages. I also plan on selling raw comics both key issues and commons, but mostly to get product moving both raw and cgc I'll do comic lots. So my low grade or anything below a 9.4 CGC'd I'll most likely sell in lots through out all comic years (Bronze, Silver, etc.). Raw commons I'll sell in comic lots as well. My pictures plan on being individual rather than in a group as well. I get so irritated with the blurry (phone camera) group pictures. My concentration will be on CGC comics as well. I so much left over stock from from my sports card store that I plan on selling in lots as well...some graded through SGC and some raw, but that's a whole seperate thread.

I generally don't revive threads as most people want certain threads to die. But this thread is close to my questions of starting an ebay store so….

I agree that searching the archives of CGC is really limited, difficult and time consuming to find your topic. Maybe over time I'll get better at it.

I feel Flip's plan will fail if he sticks to only selling CGC comics.

My plan is to open an ebay store to rid myself of all those commons that flow thru auctions or large listings that don't sell. It sucks to keep eating the ebay fee's on normal auctions that don't sell. I plan to list prime comics strategically in normal auctions to draw attention to my store. So I plan to list maybe a thousand comics in the store and adding groups or titles at a time in my store. Then at least two or three CGC or prime Raw comics everyday in normal auctions at the proper time to promote lots of bidders and attention.

Everybody knows that having bidders that come directly to your store via the web rather than finding your listings thru eBay is a big plus in profits. I’m not sure how to capitalize on this yet but maybe opening a web based store is another ides to draw attention and potential buyers/bidders.

What do you think of my plan? confused-smiley-013.gif

Any tweaking? or other ideas to increase direct linking to my store? poke2.gif

My opinion on opening a CGC only store is don’t.

You shouldn't go into it saying I want to be only a CGC store. What you should be thinking is that you want to open a comic eBay store, with hopes of one day being a CGC only store.

It will take you a lot of time to get there, and most likely (70-80% of the time) you will get frustrated with no/slow sales and stop doing it all together.

It is very important to understand that eBay has run it's course. It has peaked and now it’s a constant struggle to beat the supply/demand chain. Thing's only work if there are a few good people doing it, and not a bunch of ok people doing it. Think consignment drop off shops. There used to be a few, now there are thousands.

A good rule of thumb for starting a business is to do it as a sideline for a year or two to supplement a full time income. Once the profits and business demand more of your attention start to devote more of your time doing the sideline and make it the fulltime.

When considering opening a business be careful of whose advice you buy. Many people out there have empirical evidence to dispense, but most of the time it is advice based upon broken dreams and/or fallen hopes.

Realize that there will always be competition and that beating them will not happen fast or possibly at all. You will need to do just about everything right to even stay in the game. Slowly you will start to gain a reputation and sales will continue to come.

Best of luck on your undertaking.

Thank you very much. I like your comments alot. I will take your suggestions and implement the best way I can. CGC only store is not the best business plan from the start. I also like your comment of doing it on the side. You're absolutely correct.

I've also gone into the eBay consignment business and it started to wear me down after 6 months. Without a specific niche I was taking on every client I could get out there. My business etiquette and procedures were great to my clients, but very hard to maintain with all the work I had to.

My opinion on opening a CGC only store is don’t.

You shouldn't go into it saying I want to be only a CGC store. What you should be thinking is that you want to open a comic eBay store, with hopes of one day being a CGC only store.

It will take you a lot of time to get there, and most likely (70-80% of the time) you will get frustrated with no/slow sales and stop doing it all together.

It is very important to understand that eBay has run it's course. It has peaked and now it’s a constant struggle to beat the supply/demand chain. Thing's only work if there are a few good people doing it, and not a bunch of ok people doing it. Think consignment drop off shops. There used to be a few, now there are thousands.

A good rule of thumb for starting a business is to do it as a sideline for a year or two to supplement a full time income. Once the profits and business demand more of your attention start to devote more of your time doing the sideline and make it the fulltime.

When considering opening a business be careful of whose advice you buy. Many people out there have empirical evidence to dispense, but most of the time it is advice based upon broken dreams and/or fallen hopes.

Realize that there will always be competition and that beating them will not happen fast or possibly at all. You will need to do just about everything right to even stay in the game. Slowly you will start to gain a reputation and sales will continue to come.

Best of luck on your undertaking.

Here's an update:

1.) I just received 30 Star Wars Marvel comic "pictures" back from CGC. I haven't received the physically comics yet. However, after viewing the pictures I received one graded at 9.8. Not the greatest by some, but it's a start considering my odds. 15 were 9.6, 8 were 9.4, 4 were 9.2, 1 was 9.0 and 1 was 5.5 (yikes! lol). I'm not sure what I missed on the 5.5, but emailed CGC info for an explanation. Hopefully, I'll get a response. My first submission was a learning experience. I'll probably sell the 9.4 and below as a lot.

2.) I purchased a software called MarketBlast. It's great so far. I've used other eBay listing assistance softwares, but this one tops them all so far. Check it out and see if it works for you www.marketblast.com

3.) My business partner and I are finalizing our business name and doing business name as. Also, our tax id, business licsense, domain name, eBay username, business plan and LLC documents. However, my questions is this...

What are you suggestions on creating an eBay username? My partner and I each have our own usernames with 100% positive feedback in the 100s. Should we do a name change or start from scratch with zero feedback? Were having a hard time findng a solution.

4.) I received human resource call backs from Comcast and Toshiba today. We've been playing phone tag, but I'm hoping to get an interview. My options are open and things are coming along. I had an interview with Apple last week, but nothing transpired. I've also applied at Intel and Verizon, but no response just yet. So far I've been to two career fairs and they've been okay. I hate to be picky, but with an MBA and previously making $71k+ annually I have to get what I'm worth, right? lol

Oh wouldn't it be just great to drop everything and pursue being self-employed with a comic book business? However, I'm not a big risk taker at this point.

5.) Sad to say, I've tapped into my left over inventory from my sports card business. I'm in the process of diciphering everything and putting them up for auction on eBay soon. This will suffice for some extra income along with my unemployment check and severance.

Would you recommend SGC for sports cards? I know they're somewhat of an underdog, but I've become so far loyal to CCG.

i think the 70s/80s Marvel star wars books may get you your slabbing fees back, maybe more, in 9.4.

20 more comics and you could have done a pre-screen and avoided some unnecessary slabs at $13-$15 per.

anyway, good luck. welcome to the land of selling comics on ebay. i just think you have to do so much volume to make a living at this (or specialize in 3 and 4 figure books) that you can't quit your day job unless you have a good sense that the business is bringing in enough money. and sharing profits with a partner will mean you may have to sell twice as much.

our goals are simple enough. get the ball rolling so that we generate enough money to pay for day care for when baby blob needs it (because mommy blob goes back to work). that's it, which is plenty because it ain't cheap in NYC.

Thank you.

I should of done the pre-screen like you said. foreheadslap.gif Never knew there was such a thing.

I like your last family statement. We share each other's pain. Cali is expensive as well. My wife says to me that I should be Mr. Mom while unemployeed and she tried to sweeten the deal by saying that I can also sell comics...hahaha...yeah right. I'd go nuts. Taking care of him and keeping him away from destroying my collection would be a heartache. I want to devote my full attention to my son and my comics as well...hehehe. They're both my babies! Or even better she said I could open a Daddy Daycare flamed.gif

i think the 70s/80s Marvel star wars books may get you your slabbing fees back, maybe more, in 9.4.

20 more comics and you could have done a pre-screen and avoided some unnecessary slabs at $13-$15 per.

anyway, good luck. welcome to the land of selling comics on ebay. i just think you have to do so much volume to make a living at this (or specialize in 3 and 4 figure books) that you can't quit your day job unless you have a good sense that the business is bringing in enough money. and sharing profits with a partner will mean you may have to sell twice as much.

our goals are simple enough. get the ball rolling so that we generate enough money to pay for day care for when baby blob needs it (because mommy blob goes back to work). that's it, which is plenty because it ain't cheap in NYC.

5.) Sad to say, I've tapped into my left over inventory from my sports card business. I'm in the process of diciphering everything and putting them up for auction on eBay soon. This will suffice for some extra income along with my unemployment check and severance.

I think others who have responded in this thread already will support this thought, especially if you are doing this as a business -- plan to report your profit, if any, from ebay sales as income (and such self-employment income is reportable as an offset for the unemployment check you said you're getting) for tax purposes etc.

Yes this would good for "cover your [embarrassing lack of self control]" purposes. I appreciate the additional info that one was said or myself thought of.

I think others who have responded in this thread already will support this thought, especially if you are doing this as a business -- plan to report your profit, if any, from ebay sales as income (and such self-employment income is reportable as an offset for the unemployment check you said you're getting) for tax purposes etc.

hey man grea tpost me and my friend are kinda doing the same thignb ut we are also throwing the sig series thing also and things seem to be working out so far. we just recently got back from chicago and we got everythign we needed. we are now focusing our attention on the baltimore con trying to drum up some buisness for jrsr and anyone else who is going to be there we also sell sig seies books and so far that is going good.

anyone wantanything from the baltimore con can pm me or thecollector.

we just got done with the batman all stars round one and did good on those cant wait for the other batch to come back.