• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your National Diamond Sales Inserts!
5 5

27 posts in this topic

Sorry Mark Jewellers, but I am interested in the National Diamond Sales inserts only!

In a nutshell, here is my limited knowledge, upon which I welcome anyone to correct or add to because I enjoy learning!

- these inserts began in the early 70s

- these inserts are present in Marvel books and by accounts, some Archie books only

- a website lists comics with the MJ inserts. Some of the issues I know have a National Diamond insert are on this list meaning that the site considered the two the same or that both inserts appear in certain issues

I want to see if I can compile a list of issues with the National Diamond Sales insert only. Below is one I have. I believe I have confirmation of the insert in the following issues but would love some photo proof: Conan 24, Marvel Spotlight 5, ASM 101, 106 and 117, Sgt Fury 97 and Iron Man 55.

Would love to see who has em and if anyone knows of other confirmed issues with this particular insert!

ABA94DF1-1089-482C-962B-D2905ED78564.jpeg

D9CABF58-EE2F-444C-8D67-128BBF8373CC.jpeg

@comicginger1789 not sure if this pic is good enough, but it's my copy of ASM with it on the label....

I have a sneaky suspicion that my ASM 129 cgc ss'd by stan Lee is also a ndi, but its marked as mji,  as that's what I put on the submission form but anyway lol I saw it raw and if I remember the ndi had bras and underwear..... @Jaydogrules knows a lot about these inserts

3204755_Full_Obv.jpg

Perfect thanks!

Im trying to figure out too if these inserts ran in every issue or a series. So for ASM you have 97, I have 106 and I know the insert exists in issue 117 so wondering if all issues in between received this insert or if it was more sporadic.

3 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Perfect thanks!

Im trying to figure out too if these inserts ran in every issue or a series. So for ASM you have 97, I have 106 and I know the insert exists in issue 117 so wondering if all issues in between received this insert or if it was more sporadic.

I know the person I tagged was of the mind that they're more rare than mark jewelers inserts, so I'll wait for him to jog my memory....

Until then, I haven't read this thread but I'm about to sleep, it might have info or worth a read!

7 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I know the person I tagged was of the mind that they're more rare than mark jewelers inserts, so I'll wait for him to jog my memory....

Until then, I haven't read this thread but I'm about to sleep, it might have info or worth a read!

Thanks for the shout out!  But most of my knowledge was cribbed from @awe4one and his amazing research on the subject.  

But yes, the NDS inserts are quite a bit more rare than the MJ's, mainly because, they were only used in books for a few years, whereas MJ's were used for a couple of decades.  Also the NDS' predate the MJ's.  If I'm not mistaken I also think many, if not most of the NDS' books were sold at bases overseas, which may have a lot to do with why they appear quite sparse in higher grades (8.5+).

Oh and here is my best owned  example with one, by far (complete with star stamp over the "55") :cloud9:

-J.

Screenshot_20200327-032635_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Jaydogrules

20 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

:shy:

I forgot about that thread! Very cool topic, I learned a lot. 

21 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Sorry Mark Jewellers, but I am interested in the National Diamond Sales inserts only!

In a nutshell, here is my limited knowledge, upon which I welcome anyone to correct or add to because I enjoy learning!

- these inserts began in the early 70s

- these inserts are present in Marvel books and by accounts, some Archie books only

- a website lists comics with the MJ inserts. Some of the issues I know have a National Diamond insert are on this list meaning that the site considered the two the same or that both inserts appear in certain issues

I want to see if I can compile a list of issues with the National Diamond Sales insert only. Below is one I have. I believe I have confirmation of the insert in the following issues but would love some photo proof: Conan 24, Marvel Spotlight 5, ASM 101, 106 and 117, Sgt Fury 97 and Iron Man 55.

Would love to see who has em and if anyone knows of other confirmed issues with this particular insert!

I'll post some photos in a bit.

14 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:
5 hours ago, jaeldubyoo said:

aTN1Y7z.jpg

Marvel Spotlight #9

Is that an MJ or National Jewelers

It's an NDS because:

1. Cover date is April 1973
  2. You can see the insert is the NDS format - compare it to my earlier example picture and you'll see the match:

apr73.PNG.fec04dc745fcae6725173884ae0d52d2.PNG

On 3/27/2020 at 7:11 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Hi Eric :)

I used to collect these (NDS) and had a full set of ASM at one point along with most of the known MJIs.

For Amazing Spidey, these NDS issues exist:

nds.PNG.318c0f3cc77ae9deb6dc8ff044a61130.PNG

Issues #114 and 115 don't exist because they had Mark Jewelers inserts. Here is the ASM range for cardstock MJIs:

Question for you. I am curious when the last time you updated this list would have been. And I am also interested if you embarked on a heavy ebay search for the issues you have listed as not proven to exist (114 and 115 excepting and likely 102 being a square bound). I am interested in diving deep into finding some and figured maybe I could start with trying to find some that weren't yet found.