• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The definitive Blankis-Salida thread
2 2

113 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Blankis definitely loved funny animals but most likely it was the Carl Barks art/stories since the Disney comics predominate.

It's interesting, he has various funny titles up until around 1951, then it changes exclusively to Duck books. 

1 minute ago, buttock said:

It's interesting, he has various funny titles up until around 1951, then it changes exclusively to Duck books. 

How many of the "funny" titles are "funny animal" titles?    There are a number of Nancy and Fritzi Ritz comics but how many contain the cute anthropomorphic critters?

56 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

How many of the "funny" titles are "funny animal" titles?    There are a number of Nancy and Fritzi Ritz comics but how many contain the cute anthropomorphic critters?

That's why I phrased it so.  Mostly non animals.  I need to see how far back my ducks go.  I bet it's into the 40s.  

On 3/28/2020 at 12:01 PM, buttock said:

I do hope that this draws out more people to share their books and stamps.  I'd like to have it consolidated into one place.  

The way that the pedigree book is being pursued, this is one pedigree that won't get much pub.  For one thing, it's low on the dollar list as far as priorities go, but more importantly Ritter wants data from the CGC census and nobody in their right mind is slabbing Salidas. 

Lingering questions I have: 

Where was the shack?  I'm working on this.  I drove to Blankis' reported addresses, one is a trailer park, one is a home with no shack, and one is now in a high-end development way outside of town.  It seems that the home is the most likely place, because it's walking distance from the shops. 

Does anyone have a list?  I'm tracking down any and every lead I can.  If anyone can get this, please let me know. 

Who got the bulk of the books?  I can check off a number of people that it wasn't, but that isn't enough. 

Why did he go to Cookie's for the first half of '53?  We'll never know. 

At any rate, feel free to chime in with any information you may have.  And someone feel free to do the same for any pedigree you know of.  @storypapers how about some Bethlehem stories? 

Sorry for the bit of a gravedig, but I just acquired a Salida for my collection - it's not in my hands just yet, but I wanted to learn more and more about this particular pedigree and I came across this thread.  I will post a photo once it arrives so it can add to the discussion.

@buttock - in this post you said that "nobody in their right mind is slabbing Salidas."   Please forgive my ignorance, but why would this be the case?  I did notice that VERY few of the Salidas in this thread were slabbed, so I am curious.

As always, I look to learn from everyone here.

Thank you!

PDG

I think the answer may be that the titles in the collection are those that are not hot and appeal to long time run collectors of these titles.  So the reason is the usual reason, Salidas are rarely for sale, and why slab unless selling soon?

I can add that I HAVE had a few slabbed of late and while the page quality was uniformly high, they didnt get 9.0s or 9.2s across the board.  A little disappointing... but they are sharp copies that do have some defects dropping the grades a bit.  

Or did just get to them later than others who cherry picked all the nicer copies?? Any ideas?

On 1/2/2023 at 6:17 PM, Aman619 said:

I can add that I HAVE had a few slabbed of late and while the page quality was uniformly high, they didnt get 9.0s or 9.2s across the board.  A little disappointing... but they are sharp copies that do have some defects dropping the grades a bit.  

Or did just get to them later than others who cherry picked all the nicer copies?? Any ideas?

The books were casually read so 9.0 and greater copies are a small portion of the collection.

On 1/2/2023 at 4:14 PM, Aman619 said:

I think the answer may be that the titles in the collection are those that are not hot and appeal to long time run collectors of these titles.  So the reason is the usual reason, Salidas are rarely for sale, and why slab unless selling soon?

That, but mainly they're so incredibly fresh.  The most notable aspect of the pedigree is lost unless you can handle them.  

On 1/2/2023 at 8:40 PM, buttock said:

That, but mainly they're so incredibly fresh.  The most notable aspect of the pedigree is lost unless you can handle them.  

Indeed. I would say the same thing with Church books. Thusly, most of mine are raw. The “wet” ink, bone white pages and “that smell” are simply lost if slabbed…

Interesting to know and learn.  Thank you for all the responses to my question.

The book I have acquired is slabbed, so I am going to miss out on that aspect unfortunately.

For the longest time though, I was really against slabbing any of my books or buying them slabbed strictly because I wanted to be able to handle and read them.  I am finding though that having the slabbed books will give a specific reference point for my family one day because absolutely none of them seem to be interested in my books after I am gone.  

PDG

On 1/3/2023 at 11:42 AM, PDGray said:

Interesting to know and learn.  Thank you for all the responses to my question.

The book I have acquired is slabbed, so I am going to miss out on that aspect unfortunately.

For the longest time though, I was really against slabbing any of my books or buying them slabbed strictly because I wanted to be able to handle and read them.  I am finding though that having the slabbed books will give a specific reference point for my family one day because absolutely none of them seem to be interested in my books after I am gone.  

PDG

If it's one of the Heroics, those weren't printed on particularly white paper and the covers were often more of a matte finish.  So they don't typify the collection as much as the 50s books. 

On 1/3/2023 at 1:42 PM, buttock said:

If it's one of the Heroics, those weren't printed on particularly white paper and the covers were often more of a matte finish.  So they don't typify the collection as much as the 50s books. 

Yes, it's the Heroic Comics 70.  I probably overpaid for it, but in building my pedigree collection (working on one book from each pedigree) it has almost been the only Salida I have seen available.  It's graded at a 9.2.

PDG