• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tracking down the Original Owner
3 3

100 posts in this topic

Stupid question, but was it a big thing for girls to collect comics back in the 40s, 50's, and 60's?  Was it rare?  I'm asking because when I grew up in the 80's (my teens) , it was mostly a bunch of us nerdy guys that seemed to collect them.  Or maybe I just hung out with the wrong crowd.

On 1/4/2023 at 12:42 AM, Telegan said:

Stupid question, but was it a big thing for girls to collect comics back in the 40s, 50's, and 60's?  Was it rare?  I'm asking because when I grew up in the 80's (my teens) , it was mostly a bunch of us nerdy guys that seemed to collect them.  Or maybe I just hung out with the wrong crowd.

I think it was more common in the 40s and 50s.  Comics were the most common form of entertainment for kids in the days before widespread TV. 

On 1/4/2023 at 2:42 AM, Telegan said:

On 1/4/2023 at 3:41 AM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I think it was more common in the 40s and 50s.  Comics were the most common form of entertainment for kids in the days before widespread TV. 

I would tend to agree, but I would guess that even in that era comic books were more popular with males. If we look at pedigree collections where the original owner was known, the vast majority of original owners were males. 

And you're right, @Telegan, by the mid 80s only the nerdiest of the nerdy males were collecting comics. I attend local cons in the Detroit area throughout the late 80s and I never saw a girl or woman at any of them buying comics with the exception of mothers buying comics for their sons.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 1/4/2023 at 6:28 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I would tend to agree, but I would guess that even in that era comic books were more popular with males. If we look at pedigree collections where the original owner was known, the vast majority of original owners were males. 

And you're right, @Telegan, by the mid 80s only the nerdiest of the nerdy males were collecting comics. I attend local cons in the Detroit area throughout the late 80s and I never saw a girl or woman at any of them buying comics with the exception of mothers buying comics for their sons.

Maybe not as collectors per se, but there were a lot of girls who read comics back in the 40s and 50s.  And some saved them.  Who do you think bought all the romance comics?  lol  And, we also tend to forget that most pedigree collections were not accumulated by "collectors", they were just bought to read and/or save.

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

On 1/4/2023 at 5:28 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Speak for yourself. I’ve been collecting since I was a kid. Pretty seriously starting in the late ‘80’s. I have never been considered a “nerd” by anybody. A lot of people couldn’t understand my collecting as an adult but have just written it off to my right brain creative side. But yeah, there have always been those guys with their pants up under their arm pits and thick taped glasses. Funny how we all come together with our love of the medium. 

On 1/4/2023 at 9:14 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I didn't start wearing reading glasses until a few years ago, but I collect comic books, and I used to be a mechanical engineer, so I have to admit that I check two of the biggest "nerd" boxes.

In high school I was on the baseball and track teams. I was also in a very popular rock band. I was also an active comic reader and although I didn’t “advertise” it, lots of people knew it and I was never labeled a “geek” or “nerd”. Comics were very popular in the college crowd at the time. But, yeah, there were a lot of “social outcasts” that permeated the comic cons at the time. 

On 1/5/2023 at 8:14 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Thayre myte ownly bee wun Dan inn thu woorld whooz spelyng iz thayt baad, sow thayre's howp!

On 1/5/2023 at 9:59 AM, Chief1332 said:

Proud youngster with this killer book

On 1/5/2023 at 10:11 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Yes. Dan was astute enough as a young child to know this was an important book

Well we are assuming Dan was a little boy based on his spelling but let's not rule out the possibility he was a semi literate adult. No, it is cool that he knew it was an important book. I bet there were many at the time who were so liking the monthly introduction of new monsters who thought this man spider character was totally lame. 

On 1/7/2023 at 10:43 AM, Miamiknight3434 said:

Very interesting all. Thank you for sharing. 

I bought this book from @Robot Man a few years back and when I got and started to flip the pages I came across the first page it was simply so cool read the note.

20230107_113910.jpg

Divining the author’s exact message is akin to an archeologist reading the fossil record 

On 1/7/2023 at 11:45 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Divining the author’s exact message is akin to an archeologist reading the fossil record 

100% agree one of my favorite parts of this hobby is looking up the previous folks who left a message or name of the books we own today.