• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warren Magazines Satana Character
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Was reading in an old RBBC about a possible lawsuit between Marvel and Warren when they introduced similar "Satana" characters the same month. The story implied that a lawsuit was not needed after the 2 companies spoke and came to an agreement, which I assume was that Warren would shelf their version.

The Warren version supposedly appeared in an issue of Vampirella. Anyone know what specific issue number it was?

I’ve looked for this in Vampirella and can’t find it.  Satana’s first appearance at Marvel is October 1963.  That would correspond to Vampirella 28, or 29 (I think).  But I didn’t see a Satanna story scanning through.

Just now, Randall Dowling said:

I’ve looked for this in Vampirella and can’t find it.  Satana’s first appearance at Marvel is October 1963.  That would correspond to Vampirella 28, or 29 (I think).  But I didn’t see a Satanna story scanning through.

Pretty sure Vampirella 28 was on the stands at the same time as Eerie 50.

44 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

i'm pretty sure it was Eerie 50. Here are some notes on that issue:

Months before Marvel unveiled their Satana, Daughter Of Satan serial in their black & white magazines, Warren issued this one-shot that could almost be regarded a prologue for the Marvel character, so similar were the origins.

http://enjolrasworld.com/Richard Arndt/The Warren Magazines Index Only.htm

22 hours ago, wombat said:

i'm pretty sure it was Eerie 50. Here are some notes on that issue:

Months before Marvel unveiled their Satana, Daughter Of Satan serial in their black & white magazines, Warren issued this one-shot that could almost be regarded a prologue for the Marvel character, so similar were the origins.

http://enjolrasworld.com/Richard Arndt/The Warren Magazines Index Only.htm

22 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

22 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Vampire Tales #2 was out July 3, 1973.

Vampirella #27 was out July 17, 1973.

Eerie #50 was out June 21, 1973.

The “proto” Satana did indeed appear in Eerie #50 just weeks before Vampire Tales #2 was out. Eerie #51 wasn’t out until July 26, 1973 so Eerie #50 and Vampire Tales #2 probably spent some time together on newsstands. 

Vampire Tales #2 I bought off the newsstands as it was my first of that title and at a time when I became hooked on the Marvel monster Mags. I still find it to be one of the best of the Marvel magazine covers from the 70’s.

I always found it more interesting that Doug Moench wrote the “Satana” story from Eerie #50 and was a regular bullpen member at Marvel shortly afterwards including writing a number of the Marvel magazines including Vampire Tales. I’d find it hard to believe that he had nothing to do with Satana being done at Marvel although he’s not a credited  creator of her they certainly “borrowed” from the Warren story (see below). His first published story for Marvel was a month after all of this in Chamber of Chills #7 released August 7, 1973 and he never looked back. They wouldn’t have seen the published story in Eerie #50 over at Marvel since it only came out a few weeks before Santana’s Marvel debut so I’m guessing Doug either suggested it for them to use as an idea or they saw some of the work he did on it prior to coming over. The timing of him joining Marvel is just to perfect to be “just one of those things”...

Edited by N e r V

1 hour ago, Stevemmg said:

Kind of makes you think Moench had come up for this character at Warren, then presumably wanted to use it at Marvel. Maybe with that brief Marvel introduction thought they might be able to beat Eerie 50 to the stands. Something interesting there to be sure. 

Adding more fuel to the fire of theories her brother Daimon Hellstrom was introduced in Ghost Rider #1 which was out on June 19, 1973 or two days before Eerie #50 was released.

Also Doug Moench never did write a Satana story that I’m aware of. He did dance around her in Haunt of Horror magazine with the Gabriel character but not her stories.

Was Marvel not wanting him involved to avoid any possible legal perceptions?

Edited by N e r V

Thanks people!

I'll have to reread the story but I believe it mentioned there was an advertisement published for Satana in one of the Marvel Black and White Mags that predated the Warren appearances. I know it implied that Stan Lee spoke with Warren and the Warren character never returned.