• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 300
1 1

125 posts in this topic

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 7:17 PM, Lazyboy said:

I wouldn't say it was big. Anniversary issues were more popular then and it certainly wasn't worthless, but 298 was the big book before Venom took off and the rest of the early McFarlane run was pretty pricey as well.

Wrong.  ASM 300 was big.  Todd had already made a name for himself on the Hulk and in particular, with his work on Hulk #340.  When it was announced that he was moving over to ASM, a lot of folks who didn't purchase ASM followed him onto the title.  Additionally, those who did collect ASM prior to McFarlane immediately noticed he was a breathe of fresh air from the crappy art that preceded ASM #298.  I was one of those folks and I knew that ASM #300 was going to be big, and so did my comic-collecting friends.  I ordered 80 copies, and my friends ordered at least 10 copies each.

All of my LCS's were sold out of ASM 300 immediately, and prices started to escalated.  The rest is history.

I should point out that 299 has a killer splash featuring the 1st appearance of Venom and I think we will soon see its value overtake ASM 298.

9 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Wrong.  ASM 300 was big.  Todd had already made a name for himself on the Hulk and in particular, with his work on Hulk #340.  When it was announced that he was moving over to ASM, a lot of folks who didn't purchase ASM followed him onto the title.  Additionally, those who did collect ASM prior to McFarlane immediately noticed he was a breathe of fresh air from the crappy art that preceded ASM #298.  I was one of those folks and I knew that ASM #300 was going to be big, and so did my comic-collecting friends.  I ordered 80 copies, and my friends ordered at least 10 copies each.

All of my LCS's were sold out of ASM 300 immediately, and prices started to escalated.  The rest is history.

I should point out that 299 has a killer splash featuring the 1st appearance of Venom and I think we will soon see its value overtake ASM 298.

You bought 80 copies of ASM 300?

6 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Yes.  Sold most of them to pay for university, but I’ve been trying to purchase multiple copies recently with the intention of getting back to 80 copies.

Hmmmm....I don't think I'd be doing that...its alot of money invested or directed to one thing...diversified collectibles are safer, IMO 

Edited by Hollywood1892

36 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Hmmmm....I don't think I'd be doing that...its alot of money invested or directed to one thing...diversified collectibles are safer, IMO 

Oh, absolutely, but this is more about nostalgia than investment for me.  I'm fine if ASM 300 prices fall, I just love the book.

Besides, when it comes to comic books, there are few safer bets than ASM, right?

10 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

My definition of big doesn't include an issue that isn't the most valuable of its run and is only slightly (if at all) more pricey than many other books from the same run, especially when it has a higher initial (cover) price. It became big later, not early.

10 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

1st appearance? How deep into the qualifier bin are you digging to try to justify that? It's not the first brief appearance or the first full appearance.

6 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Its awfully tempting but I'll pass. Hopefully any violence is kept to a minimum 

I'm beside myself with boredom

I spent the entire day trying to find exotic ways to die in GTA V

There was a building with a pool on the side, about 23 stories, I tried parking the chopper on top but crashed...I'm gonna have another go and see if I can dive into the pool

7 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I'm beside myself with boredom

I spent the entire day trying to find exotic ways to die in GTA V

There was a building with a pool on the side, about 23 stories, I tried parking the chopper on top but crashed...I'm gonna have another go and see if I can dive into the pool

If you can get spidey powers try running down the building without having a strange mysterious black arm from outside a window trip you up (or down) xD

On 4/9/2020 at 11:26 AM, valiantman said:

It sounds like you're seeing people overpaying for newsstands, but I'm not seeing a huge premium for newsstands, so would you say the newsstand "misinformation" problem is worse than the "ratio incentive" problem from the past 10+ years?

Comics that had 1:20 or 1:25 books when they came out were immediately selling for $15 to $30, and most are now dollar books. hm

The promise of value based on things that may not be true (to be very polite) is much worse than people overpaying for new products, which is an issue that goes far beyond comic variants. I think variants are a problem, but unless people are being misled about them (and we have seen a few people on both sides of that), they're a different kind of problem.

On 4/9/2020 at 5:19 PM, valiantman said:

No, I don't think so.

Even comics like Action Comics #1 and Detective #27 are believed to have only half the remaining copies graded by CGC so far, if not fewer... and we know the biggest books are the ones submitted to CGC most often.

Books like ASM #300 would be unlikely to have even 25% of the remaining copies graded by CGC so far... so 75% (or maybe much, much more) are still raw copies out in the world.

Here's the rate of CGC 9.8 for ASM #300 over the past 20 years:

image.png.71058b5e304074d4a025496c3b5e4e24.png

No reason to think that steady trend from 2017 to 2020 will suddenly fall to zero... so we should expect more CGC 9.8s maybe 30 or 40 for every 1,000 additional copies of ASM #300 that are graded for the next few years.

The spike in 2009-2011 is MOST LIKELY related to weaker grading standards, in my opinion.  It happens across all titles.  Some portion of the spike is due to pressing and regrading, but pressing and regrading happens now (probably more than then) and the CGC 9.8 rate is back around 4%, like before 2008... so I think the spike in 2008-2015 was probably weaker standards... especially 2009-2011.

I turned this into an animated graphic for all the grades and percentages:

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1935880/