• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remember when you could buy these from a mag?
1 1

46 posts in this topic

On 4/12/2020 at 10:47 PM, N e r V said:

I bought a lot of stuff out of comics although I obsessed more over the Johnson Smith or Sears Christmas catalogues. The stuff that fueled my collecting was the stuff in ads before “my time”. I wanted so many things so bad that came before in old comic ads...

CD5769A2-5769-432E-BA78-030D9169AA0D.gif.5ac2e34e7a5704a80d38331856c90ef9.gif

294E27CC-ED7D-4340-BE8B-A2FF54FFFB2B.jpeg.78c263b0255431fe6b5b39d913af3956.jpegE7FFBB3E-CF86-4C2A-9687-A27ECB7FDBF7.thumb.jpeg.37589e563ee213701f93f93180b29a15.jpeg

46CD9951-05E1-4C26-88D3-A5CEEBABE87C.thumb.jpeg.22bb08566804279b7c2f6b76e8774c3f.jpeg

5B5176E0-8006-41BE-971E-E48062B10580.thumb.jpeg.e5f549baf855ebe2ed869aebd9ef1278.jpeg

I was reading some old Hulk comics last night and saw that plastic pillow ad.  Can't imagine how hot and sweaty your head would be after a night on that 😅

7 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

This gave me a memory. I remember this magic growing sea horse animal type thing. They were selling these in comics, magazines, and on midday TV shows. It was like magic. They were saying all you had to do was add water. It was different than that pig like pot that would grow plants if you put water in his back. This was supposed to be real life. I can't remember the name of them. Any thoughts?

Sea Monkeys. 

I believe they were some sort of shrimp brine that would grow for a few weeks . John Glen took some to space with him in the late 1990s.

Edited by shadroch

7 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

This gave me a memory. I remember this magic growing sea horse animal type thing. They were selling these in comics, magazines, and on midday TV shows. It was like magic. They were saying all you had to do was add water. It was different than that pig like pot that would grow plants if you put water in his back. This was supposed to be real life. I can't remember the name of them. Any thoughts?

Sea Monkeys?

16seamads161.jpg

On 4/13/2020 at 8:58 AM, Randall Dowling said:

This single panel is pretty funny!  I like how clear they are about who's who, just in case you got confused. 

Screenshot 2020-04-13 07.56.15.png

Odd that they had Vampi as a villain! She would have helped the "girl victim" not the evil Dr.....

39 minutes ago, comics4all said:

Odd that they had Vampi as a villain! She would have helped the "girl victim" not the evil Dr.....

On 4/13/2020 at 5:58 AM, Randall Dowling said:

This single panel is pretty funny!  I like how clear they are about who's who, just in case you got confused. 

Screenshot 2020-04-13 07.56.15.png

I’m more surprised that no New Yorkers here have complained about her slight to them...:p

On 4/16/2020 at 7:42 AM, comics4all said:

Depending on the year, it might be Comic Code related. Can't be showing vampires in a positive light?

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

Depending on the year, it might be Comic Code related. Can't be showing vampires in a positive light?

@shadroch That's a good call regarding the Code! 

From what I remember Vampi was only a "villain" from her 1st appearance, maybe 2nd appearance...

once she got in with Van Helsing etc she always seemed a heroine to me...

On 4/16/2020 at 9:05 AM, shadroch said:

Sea Monkeys. 

I believe they were some sort of shrimp brine that would grow for a few weeks . John Glen took some to space with him in the late 1990s.

On 4/16/2020 at 9:28 AM, wombat said:

Sea Monkeys?

16seamads161.jpg

That's it. Thanks guys. That artwork is so misleading. I always wanted to get that when I was a kid.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 8:11 PM, Jordysnordy said:

Being locked up has given me lots of time to re-read some Savage Sword of Conan mags and I came across this ad.
I imagine if this appeared in today’s comics ( granted SSOC was not under the auspices of the Comic Code).

I think the Arena Sword would be pretty popular with many being cooped up lol -  6 lbs of cold steel and brass delivered right to your front door!

Hope everyone is safe at home!

D3E633E2-BF36-4E60-A6B7-D2B205D9FA89.png

0FE93BB0-7747-4960-8333-593454E4EA81.png

the Arena Sword resembles the Atlantean.

On 4/11/2020 at 8:32 AM, Taylor G said:

Will amuse children for hours.....and when they get bored with it, they can eat it.

Also, worth noting under the circumstances, a great vector for transmitting diseases (Ebola spread by monkeys in the Congo for example).

Not in those days - Ebola didn't exist.  It was just "great fun".  

I remember one of those monkey ads also had "guaranteed live delivery"  lol

On 4/10/2020 at 11:24 PM, wombat said:

I want the squirrel monkey. I don't care about the stories. 

Jeff Tuthill ordered one for about $25 in the early 1970s. Not wanting his parents to know, he had it shipped to his friend's house:

It came in this little cardboard box. I mean, I’m saying small. It was probably the size of a shoebox, except it was higher. It had a little chicken wire screen window in it. There was a cut out. All you could see if you looked in there was his face. I brought it home, and I actually snuck it into the basement of the house.

No instructions [were included]. He had this waist belt on, a collar, if you will, on his waist, with an unattached leash inside the box. So I opened the box up inside the cage, the monkey jumped out, I withdrew the box and found the leash. I have no idea where it came from; I assumed it came from Florida. I figured, well, it’s probably near dehydration, so I opened up the cage to put some water in it. It leapt out of the cage when I opened it up the second time! I mean, it was eyeing the pipes that I was unaware of. As soon as I opened the cage, it leapt up and grabbed onto the plumbing up on the ceiling and started using them like monkey bars, and he was just shooting along in the basement, chirping pretty loud. It was heading towards the finished side of the basement, where there was a drop ceiling, and if it got into those channels, I never would have got it. It would have been days to get this thing out of there. I grabbed it by its tail, and it came down on, starting literally up by my shoulder, like a drill press it landed on my arm, and every bite was breaking flesh. It was literally like an unsewing machine. It was literally unsewing my arm coming down, and I was pouring blood. I grabbed it by its neck with both my wrists, threw it back in the cage. It’s screaming like a scalded cat. I’m pouring blood. My friend’s laughing uncontrollably, and my father finally comes in the basement door and goes, ‘Jeffery! What are you doing to that rabbit?’ And I go, ‘It’s not a rabbit, it’s a monkey, and it just bit the hell out of me.’ ‘A monkey? Bring it up here!’ I’m pouring, I wrapped a t-shirt around my arm to stave off the bleeding, carried the cage upstairs, and I don’t know why I bothered sneaking it in, because they fell in love with it, and it was like, there was no problem at all. They took me to the emergency room and I got 28 stitches on my arm.

Great story...except for the last sentence.  

"Not wanting his parents to know..."  lol   How long did he figure he was going to be able to hide it once he got it home?  lol

Out of curiosity, how long did the monkey live?

Edited by pemart1966