• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remember when you could buy these from a mag?
1 1

46 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, wombat said:

I want the squirrel monkey. I don't care about the stories. 

Jeff Tuthill ordered one for about $25 in the early 1970s. Not wanting his parents to know, he had it shipped to his friend's house:

It came in this little cardboard box. I mean, I’m saying small. It was probably the size of a shoebox, except it was higher. It had a little chicken wire screen window in it. There was a cut out. All you could see if you looked in there was his face. I brought it home, and I actually snuck it into the basement of the house.

No instructions [were included]. He had this waist belt on, a collar, if you will, on his waist, with an unattached leash inside the box. So I opened the box up inside the cage, the monkey jumped out, I withdrew the box and found the leash. I have no idea where it came from; I assumed it came from Florida. I figured, well, it’s probably near dehydration, so I opened up the cage to put some water in it. It leapt out of the cage when I opened it up the second time! I mean, it was eyeing the pipes that I was unaware of. As soon as I opened the cage, it leapt up and grabbed onto the plumbing up on the ceiling and started using them like monkey bars, and he was just shooting along in the basement, chirping pretty loud. It was heading towards the finished side of the basement, where there was a drop ceiling, and if it got into those channels, I never would have got it. It would have been days to get this thing out of there. I grabbed it by its tail, and it came down on, starting literally up by my shoulder, like a drill press it landed on my arm, and every bite was breaking flesh. It was literally like an unsewing machine. It was literally unsewing my arm coming down, and I was pouring blood. I grabbed it by its neck with both my wrists, threw it back in the cage. It’s screaming like a scalded cat. I’m pouring blood. My friend’s laughing uncontrollably, and my father finally comes in the basement door and goes, ‘Jeffery! What are you doing to that rabbit?’ And I go, ‘It’s not a rabbit, it’s a monkey, and it just bit the hell out of me.’ ‘A monkey? Bring it up here!’ I’m pouring, I wrapped a t-shirt around my arm to stave off the bleeding, carried the cage upstairs, and I don’t know why I bothered sneaking it in, because they fell in love with it, and it was like, there was no problem at all. They took me to the emergency room and I got 28 stitches on my arm.

Good times.🥰

13 hours ago, wombat said:

I want the squirrel monkey. I don't care about the stories. 

Jeff Tuthill ordered one for about $25 in the early 1970s. Not wanting his parents to know, he had it shipped to his friend's house:

It came in this little cardboard box. I mean, I’m saying small. It was probably the size of a shoebox, except it was higher. It had a little chicken wire screen window in it. There was a cut out. All you could see if you looked in there was his face. I brought it home, and I actually snuck it into the basement of the house.

No instructions [were included]. He had this waist belt on, a collar, if you will, on his waist, with an unattached leash inside the box. So I opened the box up inside the cage, the monkey jumped out, I withdrew the box and found the leash. I have no idea where it came from; I assumed it came from Florida. I figured, well, it’s probably near dehydration, so I opened up the cage to put some water in it. It leapt out of the cage when I opened it up the second time! I mean, it was eyeing the pipes that I was unaware of. As soon as I opened the cage, it leapt up and grabbed onto the plumbing up on the ceiling and started using them like monkey bars, and he was just shooting along in the basement, chirping pretty loud. It was heading towards the finished side of the basement, where there was a drop ceiling, and if it got into those channels, I never would have got it. It would have been days to get this thing out of there. I grabbed it by its tail, and it came down on, starting literally up by my shoulder, like a drill press it landed on my arm, and every bite was breaking flesh. It was literally like an unsewing machine. It was literally unsewing my arm coming down, and I was pouring blood. I grabbed it by its neck with both my wrists, threw it back in the cage. It’s screaming like a scalded cat. I’m pouring blood. My friend’s laughing uncontrollably, and my father finally comes in the basement door and goes, ‘Jeffery! What are you doing to that rabbit?’ And I go, ‘It’s not a rabbit, it’s a monkey, and it just bit the hell out of me.’ ‘A monkey? Bring it up here!’ I’m pouring, I wrapped a t-shirt around my arm to stave off the bleeding, carried the cage upstairs, and I don’t know why I bothered sneaking it in, because they fell in love with it, and it was like, there was no problem at all. They took me to the emergency room and I got 28 stitches on my arm.

Now that's a funny story...wow.  

55 minutes ago, vheflin said:

The greatest Captain Co. item of them all! $10 was a lot for a kid in 70s/80s, (they were originally $20:whatthe:) now I have 3 of them! Only wish the pendant was brass/glass as in ad and not plastic but what did you expect?

The dirt actually came from Romania.  Jim Warren was visited by FBI when boxes of dirt arrived in his office from what was then a Soviet Bloc nation.

20200412_084409.thumb.jpg.80b894b9d5b85e9576f26645d8182494.jpg

Insanely cool.😎

4 hours ago, vheflin said:

The greatest Captain Co. item of them all! $10 was a lot for a kid in 70s/80s, (they were originally $20:whatthe:) now I have 3 of them! Only wish the pendant was brass/glass as in ad and not plastic but what did you expect?

The dirt actually came from Romania.  Jim Warren was visited by FBI when boxes of dirt arrived in his office from what was then a Soviet Bloc nation.

20200412_084409.thumb.jpg.80b894b9d5b85e9576f26645d8182494.jpg

I guess they did hold you to the limit of 3!

When I was around 8 years old (1973) my younger brother and I decided to buy 400 stickers for 99 cents (the exact figure eludes me but it was something like that) that was advertised in just about every comic at the time.

So we cut out the coupon, stuffed 99 cents worth of pennies and nickels into an envelope and dropped it in the mailbox. 

Never did get the stickers. 

This gave me a memory. I remember this magic growing sea horse animal type thing. They were selling these in comics, magazines, and on midday TV shows. It was like magic. They were saying all you had to do was add water. It was different than that pig like pot that would grow plants if you put water in his back. This was supposed to be real life. I can't remember the name of them. Any thoughts?