• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to know if pre-existing signature will disqualify for Signature Series grading?

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

I'm looking to purchase an Alex Ross Spawn #301 which will come signed, but not graded, by Alex Ross, and eventually hope to wait out for another time when Todd McFarlane does a signing again to eventually get 2 signatures on it. If there's a witness for Todd's signature, but not for the first signature by Alex Ross, how would the grading come out? Will it still be under the yellow label Signature Series or something else?

Thanks!

Mike

18 minutes ago, eee91 said:

In your example, you'd get a Signature Series Qualified Label (Yellow/Green). Yellow with a green stripe across the top, like this-

signature-series-qualified.jpg?cb=2018-0

Thanks so much @eee91! Glad to see this information. Do you believe that since it says "NAME WRITTEN ON COVER IN MARKER." would it devalue the comic? My thinking is that, yes they did not witness Alex Ross signing the Spawn comic, but I do have a COA, but since they graded it this way, a buyer would consider it to be valued less. I would think it's great to have 2 signatures, but not sure if the value would increase or decrease. 

Edited by Michael Jeffries

I think the best you could legitimately hope for is that it would sell for the same price as the comparative issue Yellow label with Todd only. Some people will not want it because of the Yellow Green label. I do think that in some instances (like Dynamic Forces autos) people will be less likely to consider it a defect.