• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are these TMNT sigs legit? Peter Laird and Kevin Eastman on a proof cover
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hi all!  I am looking at an item online for possible purchase, but I don't know if these sigs are legit.  I am really mostly interested in this item for the signatures specifically.

It's supposed to be a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles proof cover signed by Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird, but I just don't know if these sigs are real or not.  I can't find any examples of Kevin Eastman's signature where he hooks it inward at the end like this.  And for Laird, it looks pretty good, except most of the examples I have found seem to run the two parts of his name closer together than this.

Any opinions on the legitimacy of these sigs?

Many Thanks!

cover (2).jpg

sigs (2).jpg

Edited by Grimmreeper

These look good to me!

I had about 10 early cover proofs at one point and the sigs looked similar. These are just earlier styles of their sigs back when Peter did his middle initial. Their early early signs look even more different. I don't think anyone is going to fake an Eastman as he is easily available and the PL looks good

7 hours ago, Grimmreeper said:

Hi all!  I am looking at an item online for possible purchase, but I don't know if these sigs are legit.  I am really mostly interested in this item for the signatures specifically.

It's supposed to be a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles proof cover signed by Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird, but I just don't know if these sigs are real or not.  I can't find any examples of Kevin Eastman's signature where he hooks it inward at the end like this.  And for Laird, it looks pretty good, except most of the examples I have found seem to run the two parts of his name closer together than this.

Any opinions on the legitimacy of these sigs?

Many Thanks!

cover (2).jpg

sigs (2).jpg

The sigs look good, but I wouldn't call that a "cover proof".   It's a wraparound cover (basically a cover wrap from the printer that would have been used on a bound issue but wasn't used).  Kevin sells them signed just by him for $20 on his site.  He currently has book 7 and 8 available.  

Thank you both for the replies!  I decided to go ahead and buy it, I made an offer and it was accepted for what I think is a really good price for this.  Also, good to know that this isn't actually a cover proof.  I found the wraparound covers you mentioned on Kevin Eastman's site.  I think something like this is difficult to find nowadays, with both of their signatures on it, at least at a reasonable price.

Thanks again for the insight! 

They are definitely very cool. A few years ago Peter brought out a portfolio to a couple signings full of these including error covers. I only got the Dooney #4 cover (my favorite), but I wish I got many more. They look great framed and display better than a CGCd book IMO.

I just came across a bunch of these when I took a poster our of its frame - not sure if its PL signature or not.

They look like cover wraps to me - the back has the interior print on it. They're triple signed too ...

Would love to know more about them...and how much they might go for nowadays

IMG_2330.thumb.JPG.f0a654dff204937c30d5c4701be6b224.JPG

IMG_2329.thumb.JPG.49d4f12885f1eb369bfd5a1b8d280ffd.JPG

IMG_2328.JPG

IMG_2326.JPG

IMG_2325.JPG

IMG_2324.JPG

IMG_2334.JPG

On 5/21/2021 at 7:57 AM, nriccijr said:

Those are cover proofs, but none have a PL sig on them.  Not sure off the top of my head who it is.

@Turtle.....any ideas?

@Ozonetv like he said, those are mostly cover proofs.  They mostly look to be signed by Kevin Eastman, Jim Lawson, and Ryan Brown...all veteran Mirage guys.  At appearances, Peter Laird used to sell these kinds of proofs for between $30 and $80 depending on the cover.  This was as late as around 2016.  The Mirage guys seemed to have stacks of many of these proofs, but even so they weren't widely distributed.  That is to say that while they're not super common, they're not super rare either. 

Now that last one, to my knowledge, was never published as a cover.  Instead, it was used as an ad for the Southern Dutchess News.  Admittedly, I've never seen the one you've got without the SDN header.  The art is another collaboration between Eastman & Laird and Dave Sim, who also collaborated on issue #8. 

TMNT Eastman & Laird - Southern Dutchess Press.jpg

Edited by Turtle
News, not Press

On 4/24/2020 at 12:14 AM, jaybuck43 said:

The sigs look good, but I wouldn't call that a "cover proof".   It's a wraparound cover (basically a cover wrap from the printer that would have been used on a bound issue but wasn't used).  Kevin sells them signed just by him for $20 on his site.  He currently has book 7 and 8 available.  

This is solid information.  They're often marketed as "cover proofs", but they aren't really that.  They're essentially prints on thin cardstock/paper.

Edited by Turtle
edit