• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Marvel Team-Up #1 a key?
4 4

151 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Gatsby77 said:

Sure - if you take into account those are likely 8.0 copies.

and I’m not sure why folks keep comparing today’s prices to those of the 90s, some 20+ (but more likely 25-30) years ago.

Hell - I remember conventions in the early 90s with piles (like, 30-40 copies) of FF 48 in clean 7.0-8.0 for $60 per. 

I also bought my 9.0 copy of ASM 129 in the late 90s in between Punisher series when the character was out-of-favor for only $90

Has exactly zero relevance to prices or availability today.

I don't recall nice FF 48s selling for that, but perhaps it was regional. I do recall trading a nice X-Men 201 to another dealer for a crappy FF 48 that I graded VG- at the time but would call it a 2.0-2.5 these days. The guy was certain that #201 was going to be a super hot mega key. That was maybe the mid-90s. 

12 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I don't recall nice FF 48s selling for that, but perhaps it was regional. I do recall trading a nice X-Men 201 to another dealer for a crappy FF 48 that I graded VG- at the time but would call it a 2.0-2.5 these days. The guy was certain that #201 was going to be a super hot mega key. That was maybe the mid-90s. 

Might have been. I was going to monthly conventions at the Holiday Inn in Philly.

For reference, the 1989-1990 Overstreets lists FF # 48 in $35 in VF and just $48 in NM.

So it stands to reason that $60 for VF copies in 1991-92 isn't much of a stretch. But the point is...the bulk. Like - these were just normal regional Philly shows, but multiple tables had literal piles (again 20-40 copies per) of books like FF 48, Iron Man 1, and Conan 1. All were out of my price range, so instead I bought from the Kamandi # 1 pile, an 8.0 copy for $8.

None of those books are rare, just like Marvel Team-Up # 1 isn't rare...except in very high grade.

50 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I also bought my 9.0 copy of ASM 129 in the late 90s in between Punisher series when the character was out-of-favor for only $90

Yes, I clearly remembered when Spidey 129 was a real hot book back then before falling like a rock and something that nobody seemingly wanted.  :whatthe:

And yet, now it's been one of the hottest Spidey books out there for the past several years.  :applause:

I guess if you've been collecting long enough, books tend to cycle through in terms of popularity and demand, as long as you don't mind the roller coaster ride and able to enjoy the ups along with the downs.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

15 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, I clearly remembered when Spidey 129 was a real hot book back then before falling like a rock and something that nobody seemingly wanted.  :whatthe:

And yet, now it's been one of the hottest Spidey books out there for the past several years.  :applause:

I guess if you've been collecting long enough, books tend to cycle through in terms of popularity and demand, as long as you don't mind the roller coaster ride and able to enjoy the ups along with the downs.  (thumbsu

Roller coaster rides are wild, but the only people who get hurt are those who try to exit mid-ride. 

It's true at Great Flags, on Wall Street and with comics.

3 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Sure - if you take into account those are likely 8.0 copies.

and I’m not sure why folks keep comparing today’s prices to those of the 90s, some 20+ (but more likely 25-30) years ago.

Hell - I remember conventions in the early 90s with piles (like, 30-40 copies) of FF 48 in clean 7.0-8.0 for $60 per. 

Has exactly zero relevance to prices or availability today.

Why do we assume these are even 8.0? Did you see them in person? My point is, when people post a photo like this they're often trying to imply the book is super common hoarded or whatever. I don't know how they came upon these, but it wouldn't have been hard or expensive pitting it together way back when. The main reason I don't have 100 copies of cap 172 is that I only went to 1-2 shows a year.

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

Roller coaster rides are wild, but the only people who get hurt are those who try to exit mid-ride. 

It's true at Great Flags, on Wall Street and with comics.

Nobody didn't want 129. For a while in around 2000 nice, but inked, copies were running $25 on ebay. It did not fade into the $2 boxes. Yeah, compared to the early 90s it might as well as been dead.

13 minutes ago, the blob said:

Nobody didn't want 129. For a while in around 2000 nice, but inked, copies were running $25 on ebay. It did not fade into the $2 boxes. Yeah, compared to the early 90s it might as well as been dead.

Ummmm........................didn't you just pretty much contradicted yourself in your above post here, unless you want to be dead that is?  :baiting:  lol

59 minutes ago, the blob said:

It went from being a $250 book to being a $100 book - that’s a pretty steep drop for an established key.

This was after all three monthly series were cancelled and the Wrightson mini (1998?) bombed. Even Overstreet’s dropped their top value for the book to $100.

Edited by Gatsby77

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Why do we assume these are even 8.0? Did you see them in person? My point is, when people post a photo like this they're often trying to imply the book is super common hoarded or whatever.

Fair. My “average 8.0” is a generous estimate, but I thought it necessary because that photo gets re-posted anytime someone brings up Marvel Team-Up 1, and yet we *know* it’s an incredibly rare book in high grade.

That photo may indeed contain 500+ copies of the book - but there are (still) only 100 copies (max) total in 9.4 or better. Given that it’s now a solid $1,000 book in 9.4 (up from $800 last summer), you’d think there’d be far more high-grade slabs.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

Fair. My “average 8.0” is a generous estimate, but I thought it necessary because that photo gets re-posted anytime someone brings up Marvel Team-Up 1, and yet we *know* it’s an incredibly rare book in high grade.

That photo may indeed contain 500+ copies of the book - but there are (still) only 100 copies (max) total in 9.4 or better. Given that it’s now a solid $1,000 book in 9.4 (up from $800 last summer), you’d think there’d be far more high-grade slabs.

I agree as a fair amount of problems can exist in 9.4

What I really want to know is why the census numbers for other early issues of MTU (2-50)  have not been steady increasing over the last few years. It’s been pretty stagnant even though prices have been going up even before this crazy time of price I inflation...

FYI I do weekly census check-ins for a lot of the early MTU

Edited by Xenosmilus