• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age Incredible Hulk
3 3

321 posts in this topic

From what I can remember the Hulk stories were pretty repetitive. Many revolved around Ross throwing everything he had against him including infantry, tanks and whatever else was available. This was after all the days of the Hulk just wanting to be left alone. Every once in awhile, they would introduce characters like the Abomination or the Leader to change things up a bit, but with a character who can only punch his way out of a situation, I guess there's only so much you can do. Not saying I didn't enjoy reading them, but I do remember several other titles of that time offering so much more as far as content. IMO the stories got way more interesting when the "Hulk Smash" Hulk became more than a one dimensional character. But yeah, there were some good characters introduced that worked well with the character which helped change up the never on going battle between Hulk and Ross.

Nice thread idea! I’m also working on a complete silver/Bronze Age run of Hulk. Mine starts at Incredible Hulk #6 , then working on the Tales to Astonish appearances and on through the solo title. Still have lots of gaps, but I chip away at it whenever I can. 

18 hours ago, speedcake said:

Nice thread idea! I’m also working on a complete silver/Bronze Age run of Hulk. Mine starts at Incredible Hulk #6 , then working on the Tales to Astonish appearances and on through the solo title. Still have lots of gaps, but I chip away at it whenever I can. 

I have about 10 or so of the TTA run, mostly low to mid-grade. I'll probably target this next.

3 minutes ago, universal soldier said:

I have about 10 or so of the TTA run, mostly low to mid-grade. I'll probably target this next.

I’m missing about that many. Mine range anywhere from fine to vf/nm, but I pick up nice presenting lower grades too. I got most of them in a big collection I bought a couple of years ago. So had a nice head start 

The only two real keys I need in this run are #142 & 168. I see a fair amount of 168 come up for sale but not too not as many on the 142. I think I missed one in  recent sales thread here.

Just now, speedcake said:

I’m missing about that many. Mine range anywhere from fine to vf/nm, but I pick up nice presenting lower grades too. I got most of them in a big collection I bought a couple of years ago. So had a nice head start 

My LCS does on-line live zoom sales on Monday nights and any time a TTA book comes up it is gone in seconds. Some really great reads!

5 hours ago, Werner_Von_Doom said:

1971 was a rough year

IH135.jpg

Really some fantastic period  cover art in this run - it’s pretty crazy how much alot of the marvel art changed once the issues got into the 100 series ( x-men , spidey , daredevil , etc ) as cap , Thor and hulk all started in the 100’s . The early to mid 70’s issues are my faves !

My first comics were a bunch of random Hulk's from 195-203. Looking at those books now, it's no wonder I became a Hulk and comic book fan. From fighting the Abomination at an amusement park, to the swamps with Man-Thing. to a shrunken Hulk fighting giants... one of my favorite stretch of books. 

TIH2-197-page-001-l.jpg

Edited by HarrisonJohn